PDA

View Full Version : New 4X5 Day Tank Processor - MOD Photographic

bigeye
22-Dec-2010, 20:10
I've been using the Unidrum/roller method for 4X5 processing and saw a clever holder on ebay and gave it a try. There is a video of it on Youtube by the photographer who makes them. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt_Lzd3LUnQ) In short, the appeal to his holder is that it simply works and works simply.

I used a liter of chems at each stage, but a good old-fashioned quart is perfect, as I later measured. With the Unidrum/Uniroller rig, I was using 300ml of XTOL per 4 sheets, which is the advantage of that method. This one uses roughly 2x the quantity of chems of a rotary system.

I was looking at the Combi-Plan and this costs the difference (in the US) of the 3-reel Paterson tank (#116), if you don't already have one. The Combi-Plan is probably pretty similar in use. The advantage of the Paterson is the quick fill and pour, if that really matters to your processing.

You do have to practice loading it 1 or 2 times to get the sensitivity and feel for the spacing of the sheets, as Morgan describes in his video. I'll say dexterity required is less than needed for loading a Hewes reel. It took 10 days to arrive in New York from London.

I don't see myself spending $400 for a 3010 or 3006 and I believe that this option comes pretty close to the ease of use of the Jobo tanks for hand processing.

- Charlie

Ari
22-Dec-2010, 21:24
It looks like a decent way of processing a few sheets, but I've been very happy with the JOBO 2551. It processes 12 sheets of film with 640 mL of chemistry, and is a snap to load. With a little patience, you can find a tank and two reels for about $200.

Dave Grenet
22-Dec-2010, 23:23
There's another thread about these around here somewhere. I've used mine once and I definitely like it. I was given (yes, given!) a couple of Expert drums a bit after my one arrived in the post but I think I'll still use it for when I don't want continuous agitation...

jeroldharter
22-Dec-2010, 23:55
Good to see someone innovating. Looks like a good deal.

Lachlan 717
23-Dec-2010, 01:24
How about an 8x10 one for Jobo paper drums? PLEASE?

Steve Goldstein
23-Dec-2010, 04:24
I poked around eBay a bit but have so far been unsuccessful in finding this. Any hints as to the seller name or an item number? It looks intriguing, and perhaps requires a bit more finesse than my Nikor tank (which, in all fairness, I've only recently got so haven't had a lot of practice with).

Rayt
23-Dec-2010, 05:33
My two outer sheets are always falling off. Other than that I like it very much.

acs
23-Dec-2010, 06:26
I poked around eBay a bit but have so far been unsuccessful in finding this. Any hints as to the seller name or an item number? It looks intriguing, and perhaps requires a bit more finesse than my Nikor tank (which, in all fairness, I've only recently got so haven't had a lot of practice with).

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/mod_photographic/

His last listing stated that the next batch would be in mid January.

bigeye
27-Dec-2010, 11:37
My two outer sheets are always falling off. Other than that I like it very much.

The only edge I haven't tested is how far you can go with agitation before sheets come off. I agitated significantly more than Morgan does in his video and had no trouble, but there probably is a limit. You can also use the Paterson swizzle stick, which is quite gentle, though it is somewhat disconnected from the holder.

Bob Salomon
27-Dec-2010, 12:39

That would then make it a rather expensive 4 sheet holder.

Matus Kalisky
27-Dec-2010, 15:02
So - how does this one compares to Jobo 25** with 2509n insert (for 6 sheets). I have Jobo and it works fine with 6 sheets (I would just love if there were a motor base for drums this short - rolling by hand is not so enjoyable - the drum does not even fit the Jobo manual rolling base).

EDIT: and where can be this new drum be bought? Any links (prices)?

Kuzano
27-Dec-2010, 17:55
So - how does this one compares to Jobo 25** with 2509n insert (for 6 sheets). I have Jobo and it works fine with 6 sheets (I would just love if there were a motor base for drums this short - rolling by hand is not so enjoyable - the drum does not even fit the Jobo manual rolling base).

Seems like it would be a fairly simple matter to source some plastic tube the diameter of your short tube and long enough to utilize the rollers on your processor.

First thought is a plastic tube that is just big enough for the short tube to slide into, and long enough to fit the jobo rollers. ??????

Or for that matter, even a cardboard tube, or PVC the right diameter and length should work. What am I missing here?

acs
28-Dec-2010, 07:19

See my earlier post copied below, though since heard (in a post by someone that contacted the seller) that the next listing might be as early as next week. The last listing had them around £35.

You'll also need a 3 reel Paterson tank.

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/mod_photographic/

His last listing stated that the next batch would be in mid January.

Steve Goldstein
4-Jan-2011, 14:46
The next batch is now listed on eBay. Search under seller mod_photographic. No relationship to me, just thought some of you might want to know.

Gem Singer
4-Jan-2011, 17:11
The MOD film holder replaces the standard reels in the Paterson three-reel roll film tank and allows sheet film to be developed. These tanks require 1 liter of solution, and the agitation process is inversion, not rotation such as with a Jobo drum.

I have the proper Paterson tank and have contemplated purchasing the MOD sheet film holder so that I can also use the same tank for both roll film and sheet film.

However, the MOD reel appears to be a flimsy plastic gadget that may, or may not work.

It is also quite expensive ($54.52 + international shipping).

Has anyone actually used this item for developing sheet film?

Does it work, as advertised?

Vascilli
4-Jan-2011, 17:35
I feel that I could make one of those fairly easily.

Rayt
4-Jan-2011, 21:30
That would then make it a rather expensive 4 sheet holder.

I have been using it and every time I load 6 sheets at least one jumps the slot so I see two sheets stuck together after the fix. I end up just loading four - two in the inner slots and two in the outer slots and it is OK.

It really isn't the expense of the holder itself but rather the time wasted in processing only 4 sheets at a time.

Rayt
4-Jan-2011, 21:33

I only have the manual roller base and my problem with it is that I don't know if I am rolling it too fast or too slowly. I wish I can get consistent results but how fast to rotate the drum manually? I have no idea. Sometimes I get negs that appear to be over agitated and I blame my rotation technique. I might have to use inversion to get consistency.

Gem Singer
4-Jan-2011, 21:44
Rayt,

That is probably the reason the film is coming off of the MOD reel.

The Paterson tank is designed to be an inversion tank, not a rotatable drum.

Try inverting and twisting the Paterson tank as if you were developing roll film.

Then let us know if you are still having a problem with the film slipping off of the MOD reel.

Rayt
4-Jan-2011, 21:50
Gem,

I was referring to the 6 sheet Jobo tank and how I was getting inconsistent result because of my inconsistent manual rotation technique. I might have to start using Rodinal (because it is cheap) and use the Jobo like an inversion tank for consistency.

This is why I still like the MOD insert even I am only successful 4 sheets at a time. I am getting consistent results. I gently invert twice every 30 seconds so don't know why the sheets don't stay put.

Ray

Gem Singer
5-Jan-2011, 07:34
So Rayt,

Does the MOD insert work as advertised?

Do you find that it can only effectively hold 4 sheets of film?

Would you recommend it?

Rayt
5-Jan-2011, 07:48
Yes I am satisfied even if it can only do 4 sheets.

Lightbender
6-Jan-2011, 16:25
I thought it was a 6-sheet holder?

Gem Singer
6-Jan-2011, 16:50
The MOD insert is a film holder that fits into a Paterson 3-reel tank (21cm from top to bottom) and replaces the original roll film reels. It is designed to hold 6 sheets of film.

However, according to Rayt, the two outermost sheets have a tendency to come out of their slots during agitation. Even with gentle inversion. In actual use, it appears to safely develop only 4 sheets of film at a time.

lordvader
7-Jan-2011, 18:07
I've never had issue with the out sheets falling out. I had more issue with the inner sheets jumping out and touching the middle sheets.

I overcame this but cranking down the agitation to something like 1 inversion taking 10 seconds.

I have been using a 5 reels tank, and have noticed the waters "turbulence" has an imapct. I'm gonna try to get my hands on a 3 reel tank, and see how I go.

Rayt
7-Jan-2011, 18:33
I've never had issue with the out sheets falling out. I had more issue with the inner sheets jumping out and touching the middle sheets.

Yes that too. I solved the outer sheets problem by agitating gently but the inner sheets like you say jumps onto the middle slot so I "solved" that by not loading the middle slots. I'll give it another go with 6 sheets and crank down the agitation. Thanks.

Cor
8-Jan-2011, 07:16
Rayt,

Did you contact the seller on this serious drawback? I seem to recall he joined discussions here or at APUG, I also seem to recall that he made a modified, better version.

Best,

Cor

MODPhotographic
20-Apr-2011, 01:37
Hey Guys,

I've just processed 70 sheets and have not had one come loose.

With 6 in the tank, so i just think it takes a bit of Practice.

It also works best with the 3 Reel tank as it was designed.

All the best,

Morgan.

Here is a video i did on the processing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Hs7DxCkBg

lordvader
20-Apr-2011, 02:52
I'll second this.
Since I moved from the 5 reel tank to the 3 reel, I've had no issues doing 6 sheets at a time. It's actually been on the road with me for the past 6 weeks, and works a treat !

On average, I get 3 inversions in 10 seconds.