PDA

View Full Version : Besler 8x10 Conversion and Masking Neg Carrier

jeroldharter
22-Dec-2010, 19:39
I was hoping to buy a Radeka masking carrier to use on my 8x10 enlarger. (I have one for 4x5.) Unfortunately, the Beseler negative stage area is too small.

Has anyone fabricated a DIY masking carrier for the Beseler 8x10 conversion? If so, please pose some pics and advice. If not, any thoughts? Thanks.

Kevin Crisp
22-Dec-2010, 21:52
For 5x7 I had a plastics shop make one for me. Opaque black plastic with a rectangle a little bigger than the negative. It slides in the empty slots where you can also put sheet filters over the negative. The negative is below in the glass carrier centered to line up with the aperture in the mask. I can take a photo but I hope the above makes it clear.

jeroldharter
22-Dec-2010, 22:03
For 5x7 I had a plastics shop make one for me. Opaque black plastic with a rectangle a little bigger than the negative. It slides in the empty slots where you can also put sheet filters over the negative. The negative is below in the glass carrier centered to line up with the aperture in the mask. I can take a photo but I hope the above makes it clear.

I assume you are making dodging masks. I meant a pin registered mask like those used for unsharp masking and other techniques. Is that right?

Kevin Crisp
23-Dec-2010, 07:42
Yes I think I misunderstood your question. Sorry.

Wayne
23-Dec-2010, 08:04
I was hoping to buy a Radeka masking carrier to use on my 8x10 enlarger. (I have one for 4x5.) Unfortunately, the Beseler negative stage area is too small.

Has anyone fabricated a DIY masking carrier for the Beseler 8x10 conversion? If so, please pose some pics and advice. If not, any thoughts? Thanks.

I made one for my Omega 4x5, dont know why you couldn't adapt/modify the idea to any enlarger. I posted pics of it on APUG a year or three ago, let me know if you cant find them.

Wayne
23-Dec-2010, 09:34
Here it is. The masked off part was crudely made with construction paper and electric tape, which is peeling off because it sat for a bunch of years. But you get the idea. the pins are punched through a strip of 4x5 and taped w/double sided tape to the glass carrier. I only used it a few times but it worked. I built it based on an article by Dennis McNutt that used to be on the web, but isn't anymore. But you don't really need the article.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/Wayne6000/stage.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/Wayne6000/carrier.jpg

jeroldharter
23-Dec-2010, 10:40
Wayne,

Thanks for the photos. Looks like you have a 4x5 enlarger. I think I could make an 8x10 pin registered glass carrier along the lines of yours. That would keep the film in register. My problem with the 8x10 Beseler is then keeping the negative carrier registered. The negative carrier is really just two pieces of glass that sits on a shelf. There is no front ledge on which to affix a second set of pins. When it slides into the housing, I could jam it to one side but it would be sitting there unrestrained and could jiggle out of register. I might have to figure out a small tapered shim to fit along one side of the carrier so that it jams itself into the same place each time.

banjo
24-Dec-2010, 15:42
hey all
got got my pins from a friend that runs news Paper they are self sticking

Banjo