PDA

View Full Version : Tripod head for Technikardan

MikeN
22-Dec-2010, 10:39
Hello, I'm new to LF and waiting for my new Second Hand Technikardan :) The camera is still being delivered and I've been doing some preparations to get all things together I need. One thing I wonder is the tripod head/mount for a Technikardan. I haven't found any information about this :( and hope some of you experts may help me.

Any suggestions on the requirements of such a head. Do I new 3/8- or 1/4-inch? Perhaps a recommendation?

Thanks!

Bob Salomon
22-Dec-2010, 11:21
The TK has a pair of 3/8" tripod sockets on the bottom of the main rail. The ideal Linhof head for a TK is the 003663 3-Way Leveling Head with has 360° rotation in 3 different planes. It is also very compact to keep the center of gravity low.

MikeN
22-Dec-2010, 13:44
Thanks Bob! ...one step forward :)

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
22-Dec-2010, 13:51
I use my Technikardan on a Manfrotto 410 head and I have done so for many years ! With the quick release it is very fast to set up and level. The 3 way Linhof level head is very nice too but a bit more expensive.

pdmoylan
22-Dec-2010, 18:51
I am partial to the Gitzo 1570M Magnesium 3 way head. Buy one with a cork not rubber cushion on the platform. This unit comes with both size tripod mounts .I have not done any comparisons with the Manfrotto, but this is less than 3 lbs and can handle 8x10 or in my case lenses up to 500mm on DSLR as well. Versatile for macro owing to the singular feature of a slot for moving the camera back and forth to focus when you loosen the tightening screw. Not as essential a feature for LF but very useful for DSLR and Medium Format macro.

Bruce M. Herman
26-Dec-2010, 16:11
I also use a light weight Gitzo 3-way pan head. Do you plan to use long lenses with your TK45? I found that with any lens with which I use 3/4 of the TK45's maximum extension (i.e., my 360 mm Schneider APO Artar and my 600 mm Fujinon telephoto) that the camera is very susceptible to vibration, regardless of which of the two holes on the base of the TK that I use. I think that Bob can tell you about a special extension that Linhof makes that I believe will attach to the front standard and thereby add some stability.

I've taken a slightly different approach which is to use a Bogen clamp for the tripod leg and then an extension arm that I attach to this clamp and then press the other end firmly the base of the TK45 below the front standard, thereby damping the vibration. There are probably lighter weight solutions to this problem.

Enjoy the camera. I've had mine since 1991 and love it. Unlike the digital cameras, this one camera will last your lifetime.

Nathan Potter
26-Dec-2010, 19:45
A TK45 is pretty sturdy when locked down on a good tripod but with 300 mm. and longer focal length lenses I generally use two monopods with rubber grippers bracing directly from the lens to ground. Like Gudmundur I use a quick release, and use the front tripod socket most of the time. You don't want to underestimate the difficulty of getting sharp images with a long lens, (if you're after sharpness).

Bruce, I think I have seen mention of a TK stabilizer like you mention. Maybe Bob Solomon will chime in with a description or part number.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Bob Salomon
27-Dec-2010, 01:46
A TK45 is pretty sturdy when locked down on a good tripod but with 300 mm. and longer focal length lenses I generally use two monopods with rubber grippers bracing directly from the lens to ground. Like Gudmundur I use a quick release, and use the front tripod socket most of the time. You don't want to underestimate the difficulty of getting sharp images with a long lens, (if you're after sharpness).

Bruce, I think I have seen mention of a TK stabilizer like you mention. Maybe Bob Solomon will chime in with a description or part number.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Linhof makes a solid Macro Rail for each of the TK cameras, one for the 45 and one for the 23 camera. You can see the 23 one on our web site factory store. www.hpmarketingcorp.com.