PDA

View Full Version : Dubai

asph
20-Dec-2010, 03:35
Hi!

I'll be going to Dubai for a week in january and I'm bringing my sinar. I want to shoot architecture and urban stuff and I'm wondering if anybody has some good spots besides the obvious marina and main road. I'll also be spending a day in Abu Dhabi to visit the mosque.

I've already booked my tickets to the burj khalifa and the local travel guy said tripods and big backpacks aren't allowed but they might make an exception if you ask nicely. I'd love to shoot from up there, and I've seen some tripod shots from the viewing deck (through the glas, but that cant be avoided :). I've also seen some shots from a viewing deck along the strip, it must've been some hotel but I can't figure out which one it is. I'm just a bit worried that they might not let me shot from the viewing decks with the sinar; I'm bringing my 5D also for backup, but I'd still need a tripod for blue hour/night stuff.

Thanks!

rdenney
20-Dec-2010, 07:29
Hi!

I'll be going to Dubai for a week in january and I'm bringing my sinar. I want to shoot architecture and urban stuff and I'm wondering if anybody has some good spots besides the obvious marina and main road. I'll also be spending a day in Abu Dhabi to visit the mosque.

You won't want to take pictures of Burj Khalifa from the tower itself, but rather you'll want pictures OF the building. Pictures from the building will look like aerial photos. Take your digicam for that. Pictures of the building without a lot of foreground clutter will require very short lenses. I think I would have needed a 47XL from the patio at "The Address" or from the Dubai Mall.

You'll definitely want to photograph Burj Al Arab in Jumeirah. That building is fascinating from a variety of directions, but all from a distance, so bring a longer lens.

Much of the interesting architecture that I saw is interior rather than exterior, and I suspect there will be rules. I was there at the request of their government and did not bring a camera, unfortunately, I found the insides of buildings much more photogenic than the exteriors. There is a dusty charm in some areas--some of the tall apartment blocks in Sharjah, for example, were quite a juxtoposition of modern and humble. Don't expect to get close enough for pictures at any of the spectacular residential architecture, which is all owned by ruling families and deeply buried behind tall walls. Nothing is ancient in Dubai, but the older section of Bur Dubai (just west of the Creek) and Deira (just east of the Creek) are interesting, as is the waterfront along the east shore of the creek. That waterfront will be filled with ancient Gulf freight vessels (carrying modern stuff, though), and is quite picturesque in a travel-photography way.

I just drove around Abu Dhabi for one afternoon en route to a meeting, and I'll bet there are more exterior architectural opportunities there than in Dubai.

Rick "there a little over a year ago" Denney

Scott Davis
20-Dec-2010, 07:44
If it's still up when you're there, there's some hotel in Abu Dhabi that has an $11,000,000 christmas tree on display in their lobby.

asph
20-Dec-2010, 07:49
thanks rick!

Interesting point about the Burj Khalifa, it's really really high so I guess you're right about the aerial view. Do you know of any other places with a good view that aren't street level?

As far as lenses go, I could bring a 72xl, 90, 210 and maybe a 360, but I might drop the 90 or the 210 (if I get the 360). also the 5d with 17-40 and 85, but that's mainly for backup, metering, and places I can't shoot with the sinar (like the interiors you mentioned). My hotel is between the creek and the airport so I suspect most of the locations you mentioned are relatively close, which is nice.

rdenney
20-Dec-2010, 07:58
thanks rick!

Interesting point about the Burj Khalifa, it's really really high so I guess you're right about the aerial view. Do you know of any other places with a good view that aren't street level?

Street level is what is interesting in Dubai.

The fountain in front of Burj Khalifa is more interesting than the tower itself, in my view. Go see it even if you don't photograph it. They have a show at sundown every day, or they did when I was there (several months before the tower opened).

The towers along Sheikh Zayed Road in Jumeirah are also quite impressive for their number and nearness to one another. They are too tall for what they need and many are empty, but each family had to outdo the other for grandness during the boom. If you look around, you'll see parking garages here and there, the top floors of which might provide interesting views.

Expect to work in the morning and evening periods. At mid-day the light flattens out and everything loses its color.

Rick "noting that while cars are the only reasonable mode of transport, parking is precious and often underground" Denney

Philippe Grunchec
20-Dec-2010, 08:46
Do you know Martin Becka's work?
If not, have a look here:http://martin.becka.pagesperso-orange.fr/page1/page1.html

asph
21-Dec-2010, 04:28
Do you know Martin Becka's work?
If not, have a look here:http://martin.becka.pagesperso-orange.fr/page1/page1.html

really great, thanks!
Might aswell add Josef Hoflehner (http://www.josefhoflehner.com/dubai.html) who has a great Dubai portfolio too.