PDA

View Full Version : Packard sync w/bipost?

mandoman7
19-Dec-2010, 12:52
I have a packard mounted inside a Kodak 2D, Jim Galli-style. This packard has the sync feature and I'd like to find a bipost style of connector to attach to the front standard and wired to the packard. The goal is to use the bipost cords (like those used with Ilex shutters) to trigger the flash, and to be able to use any lens and still have studio flash capability. The question is; does anyone know of a supplier of such things?

I had one of these plugs many years ago, but can't remember what I did with it...

Roger Thoms
19-Dec-2010, 13:07
Try Paramount Cords.

http://www.paramountcords.com/default.asp

mandoman7
19-Dec-2010, 13:14
I looked there, but they only have cords, at least on their website. What I need is what the cords plug into. I have bipost cords that I use with older shutters already. I have a phone number for packard that I'm going to try tomorrow, maybe I'll call paramount after that. Thanks for the reply though. :)

dsphotog
19-Dec-2010, 13:36
My synchro Packard came wired to a male household plug, works great.
or
You could find a cheap shutter to salvage a male bipost.

mandoman7
19-Dec-2010, 18:13
My synchro Packard came wired to a male household plug, works great.
Is the male plug mounted or hanging lose?

You could find a cheap shutter to salvage a male bipost.

That's a good idea if I don't find one in somebody's odds and ends box.

dsphotog
19-Dec-2010, 18:44
Mine has the hose and synch cord dangling through grommets in holes in the wood.
Yes, it would be ideal to find a dead shutter, for the bipost pins, or it might be possible to make pins from the correct thickness wire.

cowanw
19-Dec-2010, 19:45
I wonder what is the need to have a Bipost at the junction of the front standard. You do of course need a Bipost at the lens junction and the Packard usually has bare wires or spade or circular ends. But at the level of the front of the lens board you can use any connector. Older styles might use household plugs or you can use a male and female jack of any size.
Paramount cords can make the required ends.
I am just asking because it is most unusual to have a cord with Bipost at both ends.(I think)
Regards
Bill

mandoman7
19-Dec-2010, 19:54
You've made a very good point. Any kind of small connector that can be wired up will do, actually. I guess in my initial thinking I was stuck on something I had seen before, on a prior 2D. A modern flash socket will probably work...

dsphotog
19-Dec-2010, 20:26
I was guess'n that you had other bipost lenses & wanted the same set-up for all.
Otherwise I'd advise the household plug.

mandoman7
19-Dec-2010, 21:47
Wow, I found it! I was looking for something with a flash socket to bastardize in my small odds and ends box and found the plug that I was thinking about. I last saw this at least 15 yrs. ago.

As can be seen in the enclosed photos, only 2 small holes need to be drilled in the front standard, and the look is in keeping with the Kodak 2D as well. I'll post a photo when I get it installed...

dsphotog
19-Dec-2010, 21:54
Wow John, That is cool!
Also proof that your memory is functioning very well....

mandoman7
20-Dec-2010, 10:33
Wow John, That is cool!
Also proof that your memory is functioning very well....
After your comment I was feeling pretty smart until I saw 60 minutes last night which was about people that can remember every day of their lives, in detail. I can remember where things are, but that's about it. In any case, here's the bi-polar plug installed. I couldn't find small enough round head screws in my collection, but will put will replace these flatheads when I can find a couple.

The exciting thing is that I can now shoot with any old lens, in or out of the studio, and only have to use one cord rather than 2 or 3 during a studio shoot.

Bob Salomon
20-Dec-2010, 10:44
Most electronic stores will have these. They are called cheater sockets and are commonly used, or were commonlu used, on household electronics like TVs, radios, etc. Also are used on many electric shavers.

mandoman7
20-Dec-2010, 11:02
Most electronic stores will have these. They are called cheater sockets and are commonly used, or were commonlu used, on household electronics like TVs, radios, etc. Also are used on many electric shavers.

Wow, you are right. I just tried my shaver cord and it works, although the spacing of the poles is a bit wider. I'm glad I found my old one though. I got reacquainted with where lots of other stuff is during the search, as well as reminded of the camera purchase it came with 15 years ago. An 8x10 polaroid outfit and a beat up 2D w/zeiss tessar. I hated it. This bipole attachment is the one thing I kept.