PDA

View Full Version : Wista RF

Ari
19-Dec-2010, 10:57
I just bought a Wista RF; it looks and feels great.
I'm wondering if anybody out there who owns or knows this camera can share pros and cons, or things to watch out for.
I've already found that it doesn't like other backs; I may have a non-Graflok version.
I don't even know if a Graflok version was made.
Another drawback is that the RF gets blocked when I insert a film holder in the vertical position, forcing me to shoot "upside-down".
And, has anyone successfully used the RF with a lens other than the recommended 135, 150 or 180?
I tried my 121 on it by focusing the RF first, then pulling out the front standard until the GG showed a sharp image. It was a rough try, handheld, no tripod, but the Polaroid (inserted upside-down) image was almost sharp.
Any thoughts and comments greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Bob Salomon
21-Dec-2010, 07:16
The Wista RF has an International (Graflock) back and accepts all Graflock as well as slide-in and Polaroid type holders. The instructions for using International type Graflock backs is #3 on the bottom of page 13 of the manual that came with the camera. But the instructions on how to remove a ground glass frame nd install an International (Graflock) back are the same for all cameras equipped this way. Are you sure that you have an RF?

Focus first then rotate the back to vertical.

The cams are only for 135, 150 and 180mm. They will not work with other focal lengths. Especially one as far away from the marked cam as a 121mm. The idea is that the lens standard is to remain set against the proper infinity stop for that 135, 150 or 180mm lens for the entire range of the focusing of the lens and only the track moves. Not that you have to keep adjusting the position of the standard on the track while you try to focus.

If you want to use rangefinder focusing for a range of lenses from 72mm to 360mm then you need a Technika IV, V or Master from Linhof.

Ari
21-Dec-2010, 09:09
Thanks for the reply, Bob.
Yes, I have an RF, and I now see how various backs attach. I first tried attaching a Grafmatic, but it was a poor example, as it had some gaffer tape blocking the grooves, preventing a good seat.
Now, I can attach various backs and simply rotate them, as you said.
As for the hood, I know B&H sells them for $132.00 plus shipping, but I see them pop up on eBay from time to time, and it would be worth it if i can save 40 or 60 dollars.
And personally, I prefer the Wista's big viewfinder to the Linhof's smaller one, despite the Wista's limited options for RF focal lengths.

Bob Salomon
21-Dec-2010, 09:31
"And personally, I prefer the Wista's big viewfinder to the Linhof's smaller one, despite the Wista's limited options for RF focal lengths."

Linhof has a much larger viewfinder image but it is in the Multifocus Optical Finder which is an accessory. The 45 Linhof Technikas do not have a built-in viewfinder as the Wista has. Just a rangefinder window (except on the models without a rangefinder like the 2000 and 3000 models).
The Wista RF has a combined RF and viewfinder window. That is the difference. The RF spot is about the same size on both.

Ari
25-Dec-2010, 03:39
Bob, this may be outside of your domain, but is there Wista service/repair in Canada?
Quebec or Ontario?
Thanks in advance

Bob Salomon
25-Dec-2010, 07:10
Bob, this may be outside of your domain, but is there Wista service/repair in Canada?
Quebec or Ontario?
Thanks in advance

Don't know if there ia another distributor in North America for Wista other then us. Marflex should be able to tell you. 252 652-4401

Oren Grad
25-Dec-2010, 09:40
Quebec or Ontario?

The Wista website says "Welcome inquiries for Distributorship". So here's your great opportunity! :)

http://www.wista.co.jp/e_wista/e_dira/e_dhira.htm

Ari
25-Dec-2010, 10:43
Thanks, Bob; I hope they're paying you overtime.
Oren, you managed to suggest a job for yourself in the same breath: guidance counsellor :)