PDA

View Full Version : Taping 5x7 sheet together for processing in a JOBO 3005 drum

Jay Decker
18-Dec-2010, 19:38
Seem to recall someone mentioning that they tape two piece of 5x7 film together and place the taped film assembly into one tube of the a JOBO 3005 drum for processing, thereby effectively doubling number of 5x7 sheets that can be processed in one batch.

Does anyone here do this? What are the details of how you do it, e.g., what kind of tape do you use, is there anything to specifically avoid, or other considerations?

Brian C. Miller
18-Dec-2010, 19:47
Tape the sheets 5-in to 5-in, to make a 7x10 sheet.

I don't shoot 5x7 myself. I recommend that you simply try out some various tapes, like masking tape and transparent tape. Just tape a couple of pieces of scratch film together with various tapes, and chuck them in a tray of developer. After sitting in the solution for X minutes, see if the tape is coming off the film. Use the tape that holds up the best.

Jay Decker
18-Dec-2010, 19:52
Tape the sheets 5-in to 5-in, to make a 7x10 sheet.

Brian - does it matter what kind of tape you use? Obviously you tape the back side, is there any problem with films that have anti-halation on the back of the film base?

Keith Pitman
18-Dec-2010, 19:58
What's the hurry? It's large format after all! It's supposed to be slow.

Brian C. Miller
18-Dec-2010, 20:01
Well, I have had masking tape on my MF survive processing, no problem. I would think that since that is a paper tape, then a plastic tape wouldn't have a problem, either.

The layers on the back of the film should come right off during the wash. After all, the presoak can result in some pretty dense stuff coming out.

Jay Decker
18-Dec-2010, 21:53
What's the hurry? It's large format after all! It's supposed to be slow.

Keith - like the way you think!

One thing that I love about large format is that every time I pop the lid off the drum and remove the freshly developed negatives it is like I am kid at Christmas!

However, I do have a personality defect regarding one particular step with my development process/equipment, specifically, it grates on a nerve that the 3005 drum holds 5 sheets... not 4 or 6, but 5 sheets, an odd number. As frequently is the case for me, I shot three, two sided 8x10 holders two weeks ago, an even number of sheets. I developed 5 of the 6 sheets of film, one drums worth. The negatives were really fun to scan and print. I really want to see the last sheet of undeveloped film, but I can't bring myself to develop a drum with just one sheet of film in it. If the drum only held 4 sheets, I'd have two sheets left to develop and I could develop a half a drum. I can bring myself to run a half drum, but not a drum with a single sheet. If I were king for a day, all drums would hold an even number of sheets of film!

Oren Grad
18-Dec-2010, 21:58
However, I do have a personality defect regarding one particular step with my development process/equipment, specifically, it grates on a nerve that the 3005 drum holds 5 sheets... not 4 or 6, but 5 sheets, an odd number.... If I were king for a day, all drums would hold an even number of sheets of film!

You need a 3004. :)

ic-racer
19-Dec-2010, 00:14
K If the drum only held 4 sheets, I'd have two sheets left to develop and I could develop a half a drum.

You need a 2800 (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/64303-jobo-8x10-expert-drum-vs-jobo-2850-8x10-negatives.html) drum. In fact one could get ten of them for the going e-bay price of a 3005 :)

john wilton
14-Oct-2011, 11:23
Has anyone tried putting two sheets of 5x7 in a tube WITHOUT taping? Wouldn't the edges of the two pieces of film butt against each other and thus not overlap?

jeroldharter
14-Oct-2011, 12:24
Seems like it would be hard to tape film together in the dark without masking some of the edges.

If I were doing it, I would used lith tape and my ATN Viper infrared monocular.

Jay Decker
14-Oct-2011, 18:49
Seems like it would be hard to tape film together in the dark without masking some of the edges.

If I were doing it, I would used lith tape and my ATN Viper infrared monocular.

Performed the task by feel, it was not that difficult at all...

1. Place strips of tape on the bench before turning out the lights.
2. Place piece of film in the 3005 and left the edge sticking up an inch or so.
3. Taped another piece of film to the piece held in the 3005 drum.
4. Pushed the assembly into the drum.

Got 10-5x7 pieces of film in the drum and processed normally. That said, I do use my 3006 now...

DrTang
17-Jun-2015, 08:52
Old thread I know.. but just wanted to say I had 4 sheets to 4x5 to develop along with 1 sheet 8x10 and 2 sheets of 5x7.. and not wanting to do two developing cycles.. I searched here and found this thread and tried taping the two 4x5's together long side..with scotch frosted tape

and it worked perfectly

one thing though..after dumping out the fixer..next time I will open the Jobo 3005 drum and take the 4x5's out .. untape them and fix the area where the tape was to remove the back part protected with the tape

I had to refix the 4x5's after wash this time.. no biggie..

but.. I can now do 10 4x5's at a time if needed