PDA

View Full Version : Fuji W 180mm with odd F/Stops

Richard Wasserman
18-Dec-2010, 09:48
I recently purchased an older single coated 180mm Fuji W lens in a Copal 1 shutter that only has an f/stop scale to f/22 and has gold and red numbers 8-12. Anyone know what this is all about? I'm really just curious, I've never seen this before and cant imagine what the colored numbers were for.

BTW, this appears to be a very nice lens with great coverage.

erie patsellis
18-Dec-2010, 11:57
My guess would be when used as a triple convertible, with one element having an aperture of F8 wide open and the other F10. combined they give you an F 5.6.

But I could be wrong as the progression makes no sense.

David Karp
18-Dec-2010, 12:21
Richard,

I have one of these that I use as a wide lens in my Whole Plate kit. You are right, it is a very nice lens.

I checked the f/stop scale on my sample, and it does not have the gold and red numbers on it.

Rick Olson
18-Dec-2010, 12:40
My Fujinon 250mm SF (soft focus) lens has similar marks on the shutter matching the colored discs that can be inserted within the lens unit (marked yellow and red). Adding the SF discs affects the f-stop to the colored yellow and red numbers. The Copal shutter for my 250mm SF lens also ends at F22.

Richard Wasserman
18-Dec-2010, 13:00
My Fujinon 250mm SF (soft focus) lens has similar marks on the shutter matching the colored discs that can be inserted within the lens unit (marked yellow and red). Adding the SF discs affects the f-stop to the colored yellow and red numbers. The Copal shutter for my 250mm SF lens also ends at F22.

Maybe I don't have the correct shutter? The mystery deepens...

If this is the case, is 180 close enough to 250mm that I don't need to worry about incorrect exposures, or can I just stop down about 1/3 of a stop to compensate?

chris_4622
18-Dec-2010, 13:09
Richard,

If you have a spot meter you could check by reading off the ground glass. In a dark room have a bright spot light on a white card, I set my camera close but focused at infinity. Put your dark cloth on and read the center of the gg with the meter touching. Stop down and check the readings from the same spot. I made my own scales this way on a couple of shutters.

chris

Rick Olson
18-Dec-2010, 13:13
Hello Richard,

Fuji also made a 180mm SF lens. As long as you are not using the SF discs and have 180mm lens elements, then the noted f-stops should be accurate for use. You can probably stop down beyond f-22, but you would need to mark the shutter with the f-stops for use.

Maybe I don't have the correct shutter? The mystery deepens...

If this is the case, is 180 close enough to 250mm that I don't need to worry about incorrect exposures, or can I just stop down about 1/3 of a stop to compensate?

Richard Wasserman
18-Dec-2010, 17:38
I'll test the shutter–thanks Chris.

I was planning on extending the f/stop scale. I figure an adhesive label and a very fine tip pen should do an adequate job. Either that or send it to S.K. Grimes....