PDA

View Full Version : Arca-Swiss 6x9 cost?

jmooney
18-Dec-2010, 09:40
Hi All,

I want to add a 6x9 to the stable and the Arca Swiss 6x9 seems to be highly recommended but they also appear to be rare. Before I go nuts searching for one, can anyone provide a ballpark price for one? I haven't been able to get a handle on the price and I don't want to go posting WTB ads and such if the cost is out of budget. I'm talking second hand and older, I've seen the cost on the current production models :eek:

Oh and for various reasons I have my heart set on a native 6x9 camera, and although I appreciate the reasoning I'm not interested in buying a 4x5 and just using a 6x9 back.

Thanks and take care,

Jim

Jeff Keller
18-Dec-2010, 10:18
A 6x9 will probably cost you more than a 4x5. I've been casually watching auction prices, but when the price gets high (>$2k) I quit watching. I can't say for sure whether the cameras sold or not. The same seems to hold for the Technikardans. Good luck.

Frank Bunnik
18-Dec-2010, 10:19
Someone on the Dutch site www.marktplaats.nl is selling one with 65mm lens and center filter, 135mm lens, binolupe, 6x7 and 6x9 back and case. Asking price is 2,500 euro which is about US$ 3,300 although the price is negotiable. Mint condition according to the advertisement.

The sales on this website are mostly private sales and the prices are usually lower than in a store. Prices may vary in different countries of course.

Are you sure you want an Arca? Ffordes in the UK is selling both a 2x3 Ebony and an 2x3 Toyo. Ffordes is a very reliable shop.

darr
18-Dec-2010, 10:35
Jim,

I have two Arca Swiss 6x9 cameras. The one I currently use is an M-Line 2. The other is a 6x9 Field Compact that I will be selling. If you are serious, I will snap some photos and post them for you. I am the second owner so the price will reflect that--it is in excellent shape. I am on my way out to a friend's get-together, but will return later tonight. Let me know as I will not spend the time snapping and posting if not serious. I paid $3,750 three years ago and it included a few lenses.

Darr

Peter York
18-Dec-2010, 10:47
http://www.camerawest.com/categories/usedProducts/12576/

Frank Petronio
18-Dec-2010, 11:08
They made the old plastic-metal ABC design in 6x9 too, those are still in the hundreds....

Another high-end 6x9 option would be the Baby Linhof Technika and Technikardan. A baby Tech V is pretty cool.

On the low end is the Galvin and the Baby Graphic. You can always put top quality glass on a cheap body. Doesn't Dan Fromm use a lot of nice lenses on $100 Graphics?

GPS
18-Dec-2010, 11:21
Hi All,

I want to add a 6x9 to the stable and the Arca Swiss 6x9 seems to be highly recommended but they also appear to be rare.
I'm talking second hand and older, I've seen the cost on the current production models :eek:

Oh and for various reasons I have my heart set on a native 6x9 camera, and although I appreciate the reasoning I'm not interested in buying a 4x5 and just using a 6x9 back.

Thanks and take care,

Jim

Jim, AS 6x9 are so good that they don't loose much value with time unless they've been abused...:) Good that you have Darr's offer... :)

banjo
18-Dec-2010, 12:17
hey all
I only paid $500.00 for my C 6x9 Arca Swiss But it had some damage
change out the bellows BUT I dont thank that they are that much better
then a Calvin NOT NO $3000.00 more !! anyway !!& you can get a
Calvin for about $300.00 to $800.00
I have both a Arca Swiss C 6x9 & a Calvin 23

banjo

Dan Fromm
18-Dec-2010, 12:48
banjo, are Calvin cameras made in Geneva?

Frank, I like my little Graphics but they have their limits. Coupla' years ago I was given a 2x3 Cambo SC. Nice useful camera, if hostile to short lenses and heavy. Am now in the process of modifying it -- extension tube, longer rail, crutch to support the lens -- to accept a recently purchased 900/10 Apo Saphir. The longest lens that's usable on my tandem Graphic is only 480 mm.

Jim, read the FAQ on 2x3 view cameras on this site. And learn to search foreign eBays, including ebay.fr's petites annonces sections. A nice little 6x9 Plaubel Peco Junior languished there at 400 euros for months and months. Not there now, I just checked.

banjo
18-Dec-2010, 13:40
hey Dan
So I have a boo

jmooney
18-Dec-2010, 13:47
Thanks all for the info and some offers. The Arca is way out of budget for this project. I've got my eye on a Peco Jr and a Horseman so I think I'm going to look harder at them.

ffordes in the UK has a Toyo but it has the Bag bellows so I'd have to search out standard bellows and the exchange rate sucks right now as well.

GPS
18-Dec-2010, 14:00
Hi All,

Thanks and take care,

Jim

I've got my eye on a Peco Jr and a Horseman so I think I'm going to look harder at them.

ffordes in the UK has a Toyo but it has the Bag bellows so I'd have to search out standard bellows and the exchange rate sucks right now as well.
Sure what you want...?:confused:

jmooney
18-Dec-2010, 14:04
Sure what you want...?:confused:

Yes, I want a 2x3 camera that doesn't cost $3000.

GPS
18-Dec-2010, 14:50

Now, that's a clear word. Not any I want this but not that but maybe I want that and not this...;)
Darr mentioned an AS she bought for $;) 3750 with some lenses. Maybe without those lenses... just maybe, you could make it with you dream for $2999 ? Who knows...(Darr does).

Oren Grad
18-Dec-2010, 15:45

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3164

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=263582&postcount=10

darr
18-Dec-2010, 16:46
How about $995.00 for my used Arca Swiss 6x9 F-Line Compact?

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=7

peter ramm
18-Dec-2010, 18:40
Hi All,

Jim

There are three 6x9 cameras (that I am aware of) that offer full assymetric movements on front and back, fine gearing (or just big knobs) and format conversion for use with digital backs. These are the Sinar P3, the Linhof 679c in various permutations, and the AS Monolith. These cameras hold their values well because they do MFD (barely), thus achieving a broad relevance. Rare, useful, and therefore expensive. I went through that sticker shock setting up a digital view camera.

Hard to believe that you can get a mint 8 x 10 Sinar P2 with gizmos included for less than a tiny 6x9 AS M2 with a 645 interface. Hard to believe, that is, until you try using a digital back with the P2.

So, just select cameras that only suit film and you are back to the cost structure of analog gear. Looks like that is what you are doing.

Don Dudenbostel
18-Dec-2010, 22:41
I second the baby Technika V. I had a Technika 70 kit back in the early 70's and really loved it. I was getting my commercial ramped up in the mid 70's and sold it to buy a Master Technika. Just this year I decided I wanted another dedicated 6x9 and didn't want to go the cost of an Ebony. I found a really clean baby Technika V with a 53mm Super Angulon and a 100mm Zeiss Planar. These are two of the lenses that came with my Tech 70 and really loved them. I added a few other lenses and have 3 roll backs. I carry one back normally and the 53, 75, 100, 135, 180 and 270. It doesn't weigh much and fits in a small pack with a Pentax spot meter and film. This and my Gitzo CF tripod can take care of about anything I shoot.

One thing I might mention is the cost of lens boards. They are a small version of a Technika board and they are a little hard to find used and new are out of sight expensive. You must use the Linhof boards. Also good roll backs are hard to find used and new they are over $2,000. Yes you read right. New standard boards are almost $200. Used backs are often under $300 for a nice one and I lucked out and found a brand new one for under $350 and most of my boards between $50-100 depending on whether it was the basic 0 or 1 size or a #1 copal size. The copal #1 requires a special board and is very expensive.

Frank Bunnik
19-Dec-2010, 02:18
Are you sure you want a 6x9 camera? I ask this because I used a few (Horseman VHR and Silvestri SLV) and what annoyed me with both cameras was that you have to remove the groundglass (and any type of viewfinder) to mount a rollfilm back. Of course I knew you had to do this before I bought these cameras but only after some use I found out how much this annoyed me.

jmooney
19-Dec-2010, 06:43
So, just select cameras that only suit film and you are back to the cost structure of analog gear. Looks like that is what you are doing.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I spent a good deal of time last night following links here and Googling and I think the Shen-Hao is going to be the way I go. Although the others are really wonderful cameras I just can't justify the cost.

jmooney
19-Dec-2010, 06:46
Are you sure you want a 6x9 camera? I ask this because I used a few (Horseman VHR and Silvestri SLV) and what annoyed me with both cameras was that you have to remove the groundglass (and any type of viewfinder) to mount a rollfilm back. Of course I knew you had to do this before I bought these cameras but only after some use I found out how much this annoyed me.

The Shen-Hao actually has a GG that swings out to put the holder on so I don't see this as a problem. To me it'll be no different that having to monkey with sheet holders and darkslides and such. The other reason is a I want a small a camera as possible. I know that they are only marginally smaller than 4x5 but every bit counts. Simple and small are he guiding principles here.

Jim

Frank Petronio
19-Dec-2010, 07:22
I always read you could slide some of the roll holders under the GG but when I saw them in person it seemed like you had a lot of opportunity to scratch the GG. Of course removing the GG can lead to scratches and worse for the GG over time too.

But I could be wrong.... first time for everything you know.

jmooney
19-Dec-2010, 07:29
I always read you could slide some of the roll holders under the GG but when I saw them in person it seemed like you had a lot of opportunity to scratch the GG. Of course removing the GG can lead to scratches and worse for the GG over time too.

But I could be wrong.... first time for everything you know.

That's why I like this setup:

http://www.pbase.com/jmooney776/image/131244849/large.jpg

It just swings out of the way so no grinding a holder under it and no dropping it, which is a concern for me and my frigged up RA hands. I was emptying the dishwasher the other day and a glass slipped and before the juggling act was over I broke 4 glasses.....the last thing I want to do is have to take off and put back a ground glass standing next to a steam or on a bunch of rocks....

Dan Fromm
19-Dec-2010, 09:13

But I could be wrong.... first time for everything you know.Frank, I can't address the Linhof Super Rollex, but I use 2x3 Adapt-A-Roll 620s with my 2x3 Graphics and haven't scratched a GG yet. I know, I know, they're lousy and everyone but me hates them.

darr
19-Dec-2010, 10:15
That's why I like this setup:

http://www.pbase.com/jmooney776/image/131244849/large.jpg

It just swings out of the way so no grinding a holder under it and no dropping it, which is a concern for me and my frigged up RA hands. I was emptying the dishwasher the other day and a glass slipped and before the juggling act was over I broke 4 glasses.....the last thing I want to do is have to take off and put back a ground glass standing next to a steam or on a bunch of rocks....

I have an Ebony RSW45 + 6x9 back. My guess is that Shen-Hao copied the design from Ebony's 6x9 cameras. I opted to keep this particular field camera and 6x9 back after years of using other field cameras because I found it to be the easiest and quickest option, but I would not settle for the 6x9 alone when I could have the 4x5" option.

Since I use the P45 digital back for commercial work, I have found the woodies do not hold up for digital precision, thus the M-Line 2 I use. If I was buying new, I would seriously consider going for the 4x5" to 6x9 option. If you decide in the end that 6x9 is not for you, the 4x5" will still be there.