PDA

View Full Version : Old Wollensak Lens Help - Any Information on this Lens

DanK
16-Dec-2010, 14:11
Would someone mind giving me a little information on this lens...

It's labeled Wollensak Opt Co., Rochester, NY, USA - Junior - Pat July 23, 1901

Has no other markings - beyond '53' scratched into the rear

Only designed with a rear element - Aperture, shutter, then a cemented pair at the rear

Aperture scale 16, 32, 64, 256 - Shutter has T, B, I - approx 2 1/4 inch diameter total

Came off of a ruined small folding 4x5 - looked as though an original mount, so assuming it covers 4x5

Looks to be 6" focal length

I'm curious as to what was this lens designed for - landscape, portrait, general use?

What were the benefits of a single rear cemented pair?

Is there anything special about these type lenses?

Any other info would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance,
Dan King

Jim Galli
16-Dec-2010, 15:11
Would someone mind giving me a little information on this lens...

It's labeled Wollensak Opt Co., Rochester, NY, USA - Junior - Pat July 23, 1901

Has no other markings - beyond '53' scratched into the rear

Only designed with a rear element - Aperture, shutter, then a cemented pair at the rear

Aperture scale 16, 32, 64, 256 - Shutter has T, B, I - approx 2 1/4 inch diameter total

Came off of a ruined small folding 4x5 - looked as though an original mount, so assuming it covers 4x5

Looks to be 6" focal length

I'm curious as to what was this lens designed for - landscape, portrait, general use?

What were the benefits of a single rear cemented pair?

Is there anything special about these type lenses?

Any other info would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance,
Dan King

It's a single achromatic meniscus doublet. They were sharp enough for the cheap seat users when stopped down around 1900 - ish. Benefit was cheap cost for the mfr. passed on to the consumer who was shopping entry level.

Benefit now is that if you un-cork that lens so it has full aperture with no f16 restrictions it will produce some beautiful soft focus pictures. The Japanese were doing this by 1917.

DanK
16-Dec-2010, 17:09
It's a single achromatic meniscus doublet. They were sharp enough for the cheap seat users when stopped down around 1900 - ish. Benefit was cheap cost for the mfr. passed on to the consumer who was shopping entry level.

Benefit now is that if you un-cork that lens so it has full aperture with no f16 restrictions it will produce some beautiful soft focus pictures. The Japanese were doing this by 1917.

Thanks Jim, sure appreciate the info....

Dan