PDA

View Full Version : Problem with shutter?

Noah A
15-Dec-2010, 09:31
I bought this lens used and unfortunately didn't notice this right away. The lens is an Apo-Symmar 210mm. One of the blades on the Copal #1 shutter has a curved line scratched into it. It looks as if, at some point, something was rubbing on it to make the line.

The shutter works fine now. I've shot some test film and it seems accurate and it operates smoothly.

Is this a big problem that needs attention, or is it ok to use the lens. Will it be reliable in this state?

Louis Pacilla
15-Dec-2010, 09:41
Ain't a dam thing wrong with it. Looks good to me.

Now shot the thing.

BTW it is supposed to be curved as it is the lead or last blade to open/close. This is so the blades do not get hung up at the end of open/close cycle.

Noah A
15-Dec-2010, 10:03
Believe me I'll put it to good use. I'm working on my first two real projects with 4x5 and have shot around 30 sheets since last week.

But before I head off on an important shooting trip in January, I want to make sure I can trust this shutter. The 210 will probably be my least-used lens behind my 150 and 110, but still it would be nice if the shutter didn't fail.

I know the shutter blades are curved, but one blade has a line on it that the others don't. The line folllows the movement of the shutter so it's curved as well.

My other shutters don't have the line.

domaz
15-Dec-2010, 19:44
I doubt that's going to be an issue- maybe there was some dust or junk on the blades at some point and that scratched it. Test fire it a few times and if nothing explodes you should be good to go. No guarantees with any of this equipment though- almost everyone buys used and it's all fairly old.