PDA

View Full Version : South America

Songyun
13-Dec-2010, 09:37
When is a good time to visit South America? It is getting cold here, really want to enjoy some warm weather. Also, can someone recommend some places to visit?

Preston
13-Dec-2010, 09:55
This is a pretty open ended question, Songyun. South America is huge, with varied topography and culture. Perhaps if you could tell us wthat your interests are (aside from relief from cold weather) some folks here may be able to help you.

Years ago I spent most of a summer in the Andes (Cordillera Huayhuash) on a climbing trip. If you want to see big, and I mean really big, mountains, glaciers, etc., the Andes are second only to the Himalaya. The culture in the mountains is wonderful, as well. It's not the place to go if you want to be warm, though.

--P

Songyun
13-Dec-2010, 10:23
Landscape wise, I am interested in those are quite different from north america or China (maybe the jungles?). I am more interested in culture. I dont want to do too much hiking and would like to limit my cameras under one carryon case at most.

Hugo Zhang
13-Dec-2010, 10:26
Go to Brazil and visit Iguazu Falls. :)

Dan Fromm
13-Dec-2010, 12:06
Good suggestion, Hugo, but it costs less to go to Iguassu via Asuncion than from any of the major Brazilian ports of entry. Easy half day drive from Asuncion to Ciudad del Este, and the border is open. No immigration or customs formalities to go to the the Brazilian or the Argentine sides of the falls.

Songyun, if you want culture I can't advise you. If you want nature, the dry season has started in southern Central America but everything should still be green. In a month or two, all brown. In the southern cone (southern Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina) the rains should have started late September/early October, will end around May.

Haven't done much in SA, three visits to Paraguay and one to Amazonian Peru. Really want to return to PY.

Ron Marshall
13-Dec-2010, 12:19
Machu Piccu.

sergiob
13-Dec-2010, 16:26
January is a month where you can find supposedly great weather and visibility in the majority of the continent. It is summer way down south. Try to be more specific. The landscape is very different from part to the other. People and culture, too.

Nathan Potter
13-Dec-2010, 17:13
One of the most ideal climates in the world is the city of Cochabamba Bolivia. It's sort of at the edge of the tropical forest region but at an altitude that corresponds to a temperate climate. The city is ideal for cultural investigations with a camera. You need to locate an inexpensive and safe place to stay, then hook up with a guide who knows the city and suburbs to act as an assistant. It was a bit notorious as a drug area in the past but I think it's a bit more civilized now.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

jeroldharter
13-Dec-2010, 19:21
Buy a Lonely Planet South America on a Shoestring travel guide:

http://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Planet-South-America-Shoestring/dp/1741049237/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292293002&sr=8-1

It will have information about local weather in the various countries at various elevation, at various times of year. That will help you focus. If you have never done photography in the rain forest, you might not realize what misery you are asking for. Unless you are specifically interested in rain forest photography, then stick to the Andes or Patagonia for landscapes, Indian markets and villages for culture, Machu Picchu for ruins.

Songyun
11-Jan-2011, 09:58
My current plan is to visit Argentina in March, I will pick up the book to read. What I normally do here in U.S. is to have one piece checked in and one carry on. At the destination airport pick up a car and toss the luggage into the trunk. If I dont plan to rent a car in Argentina, should I just bring one bag with me? I want to pack a 4X5 system with a DSLR, is that too much?