PDA

View Full Version : Any Benro tripod users?

lloyd
13-Dec-2010, 09:30
Wondering if anyone has experience with the new Benro carbon fiber tripods? I'm specifically looking at the C-358EX (just over 4 pounds) and the C-258EX (just over 3 pounds). Wondering about fit and finish, etc. Any thoughts on whether the 258 is too wimpy for a 10 pound load? (yes I realize we're top heavy.....) Would the 357/257 3-section versions be a significantly better option re rigidity--anyone compared them?

thanks

gari beet
13-Dec-2010, 10:01
Hi Lloyd, I have a smallish Benro that I use for backpacking, weighs a little less than 2kg and as I use it for a very lightweight non folder it's fine. I also have a freind who has one of the larger ones, had it for the past 2 years I guess, maybe a little longer. He is quite hard on gear and is quite prolific in the amount of work he produces, hence the amount of use his gear gets. Replaced a Gitzo with ity when it snapped, he has no regrets thus far.
In terms of fit and finish I have had no issues, nor Richard with his. Mine is very stable, given its size of course, and it locks well, the legs fit each other very well and have exhibited no play in the year or two I have had it. I am in fact about to get a heavier camera for day to day use and will want a new tripod to go with and would have no concerns about getting another Benro.
Now I fully expect someone to come on here and say that anything oher than a gitzo/manfrotto/insert appropriate is false economy and that you would be wasting your money... maybe, but that's not been my experience, nor Richards.

Hope that helps
Gari

edp
13-Dec-2010, 10:40
Consider Feisol also.

mcfactor
13-Dec-2010, 10:50
I have the c-258ex, it is a great tripod. I use that and the Benro HD-38 pan/tilt head for my 8x10 deardorff with no problems. I know it seems small, but I have not had an issues with rigidity. And the combo is insanely light.

lloyd
13-Dec-2010, 14:35
"I have the c-258ex, it is a great tripod. I use that and the Benro HD-38 pan/tilt head for my 8x10 deardorff with no problems. I know it seems small, but I have not had an issues with rigidity. And the combo is insanely light."

wow, and I was wondering if the 258 would hold a 5x7 Deardorff / RB67.........do you use the center hook with the 8x10?

Lightbender
14-Dec-2010, 22:37
I had the chance to handle both benro and feisol tripods at Fry's.

These were not the heavy duty models but I can tell you the feisol tripod was far and away better than the benro in initial quality.

Lightbender
14-Dec-2010, 22:39
Just to add to it... the benro was not as rigid and the ball head did not lock tight even after forcing the lock nut.

Noah A
15-Dec-2010, 06:38
I have two and I love 'em.

I've always used Gitzo tripods and monopods. But they've gotten so expensive lately and the ones I've seen recently don't even feel as well-made as the old ones.

I picked up one of the small benro travel tripods for traveling with my mamiya 7 kit. It's super small and I think fairly sturdy for the size. It came with a QR ballhead. The had itself isn't so bad, it locks down fairly tight and operates smoothly. But the QR does not fit an arca standard plate which is a pain. I may replace the head at some point.

I recently bought a bigger tripod for my 4x5 work. It's the A358 M8. It's aluminum not carbon fiber. It's very sturdy and operates very easily, just as my gitzo used to. (The gitzo got stolen a while back.)

I was more hesitant to use the benro heads, so I got an arca ballhead. Needless to say it works perfectly and there were no problems mounting it on the Benro.

So far I'm very happy. Will a gitzo last longer? I don't know, but I'm tough on tripods and it's likely going to get lost/stolen/mangled before it wears out.

mcfactor
15-Dec-2010, 16:04
I do not usually use the center hook. I think most people get tripod that are much larger than they need. Both the tripod and head are rated far above what my deardorff, with a 300mm lens, weighs.

bobwysiwyg
15-Dec-2010, 16:12
Wondering if anyone has experience with the new Benro carbon fiber tripods? I'm specifically looking at the C-358EX (just over 4 pounds) and the C-258EX (just over 3 pounds). Wondering about fit and finish, etc. Any thoughts on whether the 258 is too wimpy for a 10 pound load? (yes I realize we're top heavy.....) Would the 357/257 3-section versions be a significantly better option re rigidity--anyone compared them?

thanks

Not specifically the model you are interested in, but you might want to have a look at this one review (scroll down) re: Benro tripods. I realize one bad experience may not be the norm, but ..

http://www.amazon.com/Benro-C-058M8-BENRO-Carbon-Tripod/dp/B002CVTUFQ

sanking
15-Dec-2010, 19:34
I have a Benro C-269 and it is every bit as good as my Gitzo carbon fiber tripod. I am not especially fond of the head that came with it, but then again I did not like the Gitzo head either.

Sandy King

dikaiosune01
18-Dec-2010, 11:49
I have the Benro C297.

I have a distributor that sells Benro tripods near by so I've had a chance to play with most of them. I don't remember your model specifically, but I hope my experience can still be useful.

After playing with all of them I found the C297 to be the biggest, and most sturdy tripod they have. I played with a few other tripods that could hold 10 kg. I didn't find them anywhere near as stable as the C297. The next choice was to choose the 4 section or 3 sections tripod. After a comparison, i noticed a great difference between the 4 and 3 section tripod. I choose the 3 section. I found the 4 section a little too wobbly; like one of those smaller angel tripods extended fully; while the 3 section i felt like I could kick it and it wouldn't move.

I have never used gitzo, but i also looked at some side by side. I do like that gitzo pattern, that makes it look and feel very nice; and the benro is uncoated. While Gitzo tripods are very nice, i never been able to justify them. I highly recommend the benro tripods; and gitzo if you have got money to burn.

engl
31-Dec-2010, 02:05
I use the Benro A-257 M8, 1.86kg mid sized aluminium/magnesium tripod with 3 leg sections. It cost 120$ back then but seems to be at 165$ now on eBay, possibly discontinued.

I have not had any issues with it, it locks tight, operates smoothly, and has supported a 3.5kg camera doing 2 minute exposures on (somewhat windy) rooftops without problems. I do not extend the center column with large format though, I do not need to either, the tripod is high enough with a head attached.

lloyd
31-Dec-2010, 07:54
I jumped on a C258M8, carbon, twist locks, 3.2 lbs. Very very nicely made and IMHO a fantastic deal as Adorama has them for 199. and they also have the C358 (larger, 1 lb. more) for 299. Roughly comparable Feisols (cheapest models?, w/spikes) are going to be about 100. more, much more for the tournament class pods. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Benros with the caveat that I haven't given this a serious field test yet......only disappointment is the fit into the case with the spiked feet (longer) and my Arca head is very tight.

Ari
15-Jan-2011, 09:44
I just had the opportunity to compare firsthand the Benro and Induro tripods. I wanted aluminum not carbon fibre, because of the weight and (perceived) added stability.
I walked into a store with the intention of buying a Benro A358, rated for 15kg and costing $150.
Briefly, they each had some very minor pluses and minuses, but overall the build quality of the Induro was a noticeable cut above the Benro's.
Luckily for me there was a sale on Induros and for $25 more, I upgraded to the top-of-the-line AT413, rated at 20kg and a very, very sturdy but light (3kg) aluminum tripod.
Final cost, only $175 at Vistek if anyone's interested.