PDA

View Full Version : Epson v750 question

gnuyork
12-Dec-2010, 20:43
Hey all,

When you scan with the v750 what do you choose for color settings in the configuration section?

I have always been using the default which is the 1.8 gamma setting, but I just recently discovered you can choose color sync and use Adobe Gamma. When I do this the color changes almost less vibrant.

Which is right?

And then are you supposed to assign the adobe profile in Photoshop again? Is seems when I do this, things look a little overdone on my monitor - which is a 2007 macBook Pro screen- not profiled.

I'm used to working with a DSLR and I shoot RAW in the Adobe color profile and I always get good Epson prints that are not far from how my monitor looks.

Just made my first print tonight from a 4x5 chrome, and it looks pretty good, but I think the colors could pop more. My set up was using the Adobe profile within the scanner, then not assigning any profile in photoshop. Looked good on the screen, and the print isn't bad, but I think it could be more vibrant.

Trying to understand this profile thing. I got it OK with digital cameras and paper profiles on my Epson, but I just don't know what is the right way to go when a scanner is added into the mix.

Thanks

gnuyork
12-Dec-2010, 20:49
I forgot to mention that I am using the Epson scanning software in professional mode.

Professional
25-Dec-2010, 15:10
Question: Do you like the results of your scan?
What things would you like to get or change?

Show us some samples so we have a better idea of what you did and what you want to do.

sanking
25-Dec-2010, 19:36
OK, this is a scan of a 6X12 cm negative with an Epson V700. I made this scan to compare to a scan with my Eversmart Pro. The quality of the Epson scan is not nearly as good as with the Eversmart Pro, but it is not bad at all, and would make a very fine print up to about 10X20" in size.

Sandy

jonathan_lipkin
28-Dec-2010, 20:27
When your file is scanned, it is tagged (hopefully) with an ICC profile that identifies the characteristics of the scanner used - in your case an Epson. When you open the file in PS, the tag tells PS how to interpret the numbers in the file into colors. Immediately after you open the file, you should convert from the color space it's in to Adobe RGB. You can set a profile under PS prefs for color management (cmd-shift-K on the Mac, I think) and set the Profile Mismatch behavior to ask when opening. You should also set the prefs to ask when an untagged file is opened and convert that to Adobe RGB. If the file looks funky, open it again, then assign the scanner space, then convert to argb.

What you want to avoid, and I think you have, is to use the scanner space as a working space which will give you very strange results. Scanner profiles are not gray balanced (this means that when r=g=b you have gray) so make it hard to color correct.

Preston
28-Dec-2010, 21:07
Johnathan,

Converting to your working color space (assuming it's not embedded at scan time) is a must in order to achieve expected results. However, one's working color space may not be Adobe RGB, it could be any of several large gamut color spaces, or even sRGB.

--P

jonathan_lipkin
28-Dec-2010, 21:43
Correct - thought the OP had mentioned argb in his post. I know that some people think working in sRGB is good, and people I respect, but I think it's a bad idea. I work in Profoto myself. Why? Because smart people I respect recommended that I do.

But, to each their own.

Preston
28-Dec-2010, 22:07
thought the OP had mentioned argb in his post

He did, indeed. I missed that bit.

--P