PDA

View Full Version : Gowlandflex vertical shots - L-bracket?

feppe
12-Dec-2010, 17:39
My Gowlandflex has the film back mounted horizontally, and it can't be rotated. Is L-bracket my only option to get vertical shots? Focusing would have to be done on the rear ground glass so a cloth might be needed. Such a horizontal setup would make for quite a sight - as if the camera itself isn't one already :)

Acratech sells a "universal" extended adjustable L-bracket for a cool $250 which might fit the bill, but I'm open for other suggestions or ideas!

edit: solution found (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=659885&postcount=6), thanks!

Oren Grad
12-Dec-2010, 17:51
That would be quite the spectacle! :)

I'd look really carefully at the camera to make sure that you haven't missed some kind of rotation release, or to make sure the back isn't just stiff from not being used. Although I don't know for sure, it's hard to imagine that Peter built a camera that was likely to be primarily used for portraits, without allowing a vertical back orientation.

FWIW, the one that I had did have a rotating back.

Frank Petronio
12-Dec-2010, 18:02
Worse case scenario would be to unscrew the back and turn it 90-degrees. So the film holder inserts from the bottom I believe.

feppe
12-Dec-2010, 18:19
Although I don't know for sure, it's hard to imagine that Peter built a camera that was likely to be primarily used for portraits, without allowing a vertical back orientation.

That's exactly what I thought as well, but even had a guy at my local vintage camera shop confirm it doesn't rotate.

Didn't occur to me I could unscrew it, have to check it out.

Frank Petronio
12-Dec-2010, 18:31
I think loading from the bottom is a pain but you have to do it with Technikas with the zoom finder sometimes too.

feppe
12-Dec-2010, 18:37
I'll be damned - there's a small thumbscrew, function previously unknown. I unscrewed it and the back rotates smoothly and locks back in place with the screw! Film loading is from the top when vertical. I have a chimney finder so it's no problem at all.

Thanks for the tip; this LF newbie needs to have a talk with the shop owner :P

Brian C. Miller
12-Dec-2010, 18:39
feppe, what head do you have on your tripod? Both my ball and pan heads allow me to move the camera to a 90-degree position. Isn't the Gowlandflex an extremely lightweight camera? You shouldn't have a stability issue.

Oren Grad
12-Dec-2010, 18:39
That's exactly what I thought as well, but even had a guy at my local vintage camera shop confirm it doesn't rotate.

:(

Didn't occur to me I could unscrew it, have to check it out.

If you have to unscrew it and reset it semi-permanently, check whether you can do it with the opening pointing up - there was enough clearance on mine to load holders from the top.

I think loading from the bottom is a pain but you have to do it with Technikas with the zoom finder sometimes too.

Yeah, the finder getting in the way with the Technika is easily the most awkward part of an otherwise elegant design. It's like "what's wrong with this picture?"

Oren Grad
12-Dec-2010, 18:40
I'll be damned - there's a small thumbscrew, function previously unknown. I unscrewed it and the back rotates smoothly and locks back in place with the screw! Film loading is from the top when vertical. I have a chimney finder so it's no problem at all.

:) :) :)

feppe
12-Dec-2010, 18:58
feppe, what head do you have on your tripod? Both my ball and pan heads allow me to move the camera to a 90-degree position. Isn't the Gowlandflex an extremely lightweight camera? You shouldn't have a stability issue.

Acratech Ultimate Ballhead which goes to 90 degrees and below. Gowlandflex might be light in the LF world, and although the Acratech is very solid it would not be the most stable setup even on a heavy tripod.

But as said, I figured out how to rotate the back so it won't be necessary to make a (more of a) spectacle when shooting with it :)

JosephBurke
12-Dec-2010, 21:30
FWIW....Peter made both the vertical only model as well as a rotating back model ( I have a version of each )....among many other versions/models I would never attempt to list.
Joe Burke

Songyun
13-Dec-2010, 09:47

Thanks for the tip; this LF newbie needs to have a talk with the shop owner :P

Did you get a ladder as an accessory in order to use this camera with Chimney?:)
BTW, does anyone here have a reflex viewer for the camera? I am not tall enough, and i dont want to use a ladder.

feppe
13-Dec-2010, 13:44
Did you get a ladder as an accessory in order to use this camera with Chimney?:)
BTW, does anyone here have a reflex viewer for the camera? I am not tall enough, and i dont want to use a ladder.

No, I use the rear ground glass when I shoot higher than waist level :)

Mr Gowland's widow might still have some reflex viewers available, there's contact info on petergowland.com.