PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 5x7 Convertible and Canham 617 Roll Film Back

Dave - Landscapes
11-Dec-2010, 18:27
Does anyone know if the Canham 617 back will fit on the Chamonix 5x7 convertible? Is so, how does it attach as there doesn't appear to be any sliders or similar on the Chamonix to do the job? Does it fit under the GG (with protector in place) the same way the back fits on the Canham Wood 5x7 without taking the GG off?

Regards

Dave

acs
12-Dec-2010, 04:51
The Chamonix convertible has a 'simple' sprung back. As far as I can tell, the Canham and the Shen Hao 6x17 roll backs need an international back with the two sliding plates/ grips as you commonly get on 4x5 cameras.

Short of making a back I'm not sure of a solution -- seems to be a shame as, apart from this, it's a great design.

Gem Singer
12-Dec-2010, 10:28
Dave,

Judging from the photos of the 5x7 Chamonix, I don't believe that the type of springs used on the back will allow it to open wide enough for the Canham 6x17 roll film back to slide under the ground glass.

The Canham wooden 5x7 camera has specially designed long lever arms that allow it to open extra wide.

Dave - Landscapes
13-Dec-2010, 02:50
Thanks guys. I've also had it confirmed from a Forum member today as well. What a bummer. May be that is a modification that Hugo needs to take to Chamonix. I'm sure there are 4x5 owners out there like me that want to upgrade to the Chamonix 5x7 and who use roll film. What a bummer.

Regards

Dave

Songyun
13-Dec-2010, 09:43
Just have a quick question, Is the 5X7 international back standard? I mean the 4X5 graflock is quite standard, but not sure if the 5X7 international back is standard or not. Who else makes a roll film back for 5X7 besides Canham?

Dave - Landscapes
14-Dec-2010, 05:34
I'm not sure if an international back standard is the same as a graflock standard. Someone on the Forum I'm certaim will be better placed than I am to answer that question.

On the last question - there are several that I'm aware of including a Horseman brand 6x17 roll film back that Ebony sell for their 5x7 field cameras and Shen Hoa make one marked Art Panorama as well. Both need sliders to hold them in place. Both are manual wind on roll film backs. There are probably others apart from the Canham.

The beauty of the Canham back is that it uses sliders to fit the MQC 5x7 and fits under the GG on the Traditional Wood 5x7 but can't be used on a Chamonix 5x7.

Dave

Steve Hamley
14-Dec-2010, 06:13
The Ebony 5x7s also have the sliders and can use the Canham 617 roll film back.

Cheers, Steve

acs
14-Dec-2010, 10:27
The convertible is effectively a 7x7 where the back clips on and off so it would seem possible to make a simple 5x7 back with sliders without too many problems (famous last words :) ).

The problem is that unlike the 5x4 extension backs you'd need to provide a GG unless you could get accurate alignment with the Chamonix GG and just swap the whole back (which, apart from the extra bulk, would be just as easy as putting a roll back on).

Obviously, if there's not a simple solution you'd be getting close to the price of one of the 617 bodies.

evan clarke
14-Dec-2010, 10:45
It seems that there have been issues with many 5x7 cameras and the Canham holder. I remember that Mike Walker stressed highly that his 5x7 XL would accept the Canham holder..EC

Dave - Landscapes
15-Dec-2010, 06:17
Thanks everyone. I have a couple of messages in to Hugo Z to see what can be done. acs, like your idea and it may be possible to adapt/reuse a Cham 5x7 back with the GG already in it. That way it should be possible to keep accurate alignment with the GG.

I'll see what transpires and will post the outcome for all those interested.

Regards

Dave

Larry Gebhardt
20-Jan-2012, 17:55
Thanks everyone. I have a couple of messages in to Hugo Z to see what can be done. acs, like your idea and it may be possible to adapt/reuse a Cham 5x7 back with the GG already in it. That way it should be possible to keep accurate alignment with the GG.

I'll see what transpires and will post the outcome for all those interested.

Regards

Dave

Dave, any word on this?

Cesar Barreto
21-Jan-2012, 07:33
Last year I bought the horizontal model and Hugo Z said I could order an adapter for any 6x17 back available, but it would take a little long to be made. Also, I should send him whatever back I happend to buy and the predicted cost was about U$350.

Asher Kelman
21-Jan-2012, 08:46
It seems that there have been issues with many 5x7 cameras and the Canham holder. I remember that Mike Walker stressed highly that his 5x7 XL would accept the Canham holder..EC
Walker's camera seems the safest approach. and it wont warp!

Asher