PDA

View Full Version : Tessar lens with Compur shutter questions

tjc51
10-Dec-2010, 17:58
Sorry if I've missed search results, but can't find the answers I need. I have a Carl Zeiss Jena Nr Tessar 1:4.5 15cm lens -with a Compur shutter ,shutter speeds T,B and up to 200. I need a retainer ring for this lens which is 39cm. I have enlarger lens retainers, but they will start and then stop,like the threads on the lens are bunged up. I checked the lens threads and they look fine.I applied only gentle finger pressure while doing this for I've learn a long time ago "if it doesn't fit, do not force it". I've gotten a little confused looking at charts , but have came to the conclusion that this lens takes a special retainer ring ? If so, where can i purchase one ? I picked up a view camera for a little of nothing and decided to give it a try, so I know relatively nothing. I've used 35mm and medium format.
My second question is- how do I attach a shutter release to this shutter ? All speeds sound good to my ears.Aperture is smooth. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks-tom

Roger Thoms
10-Dec-2010, 18:27
I can offer the expensive option. Bought one from SKGrimes a few months ago for a the exact combo you just described, around 30 buck IIRC. Call them, they'll know what you need. Otherwise might post a WTB here on the classified.

Roger

http://www.skgrimes.com/

Leigh
11-Dec-2010, 00:07
I have enlarger lens retainers, but they will start and then stop,like the threads on the lens are bunged up. I checked the lens threads and they look fine.
Hi Tom,

The thread pitch on the shutter and the retainer ring are different. They won't work together. That's a pretty common problem.

You need the correct ring, possibly from Grimes.

- Leigh

IanG
11-Dec-2010, 00:25
Depends as well whether it's a Dial or Rim set Compur, they differ. The Rimset is a Compur.Prontor/Copal 1 thread.

Ian

Bernard Kaye
11-Dec-2010, 12:54
Zeiss sometimes used 39mm. Fine thread which Leitz used for many filters and lenses. Tiffen made an adapter ring that extended from 39F male thread (used by Leitz both female and male) to 49 Standard female (and others). They are scarce but you will find Leitz filters, extension tubes, etc. in both 39 F @ 39 S; they are not compatible; do not force or insist.
Bernie

tjc51
12-Dec-2010, 07:46
Thanks for the replys from everyone. All information greatly appreciated. I'll most likely contact grimes to obtain the proper retaining ring. I'm sure to be asking more questions once I get up and shooting.
thanks to all ! tom