PDA

View Full Version : Shen Hao PTB-45 versus Chamonix 45N-1

Michael Graves
10-Dec-2010, 17:07
Over the last couple of weeks I have purchased one of each of these cameras. One will go to my wife and I will keep the other. They're so close, I don't think it will make much difference to either of us which uses which. I put together a short comparison with images on my website if anyone is interested. I was going to put it here, but the images made that a bit of a hassle. Let me know what you think.

dsim
10-Dec-2010, 17:20
Thanks Michael, informative article with pics. Enjoyed reading.

Brian C. Miller
10-Dec-2010, 18:06
I liked the review as far as it went. Was the review supposed to stop with the front standard?

Two23
10-Dec-2010, 21:08
I glanced at your photos. The train is called a "tank engine" or saddle back. Instead of having a tender, these had the water tank built over the boiler. This did two things. First it put a lot more weight over the drivers for traction, and second it helped to preheat the water so it used less fuel. These type engines had small diameter drivers which generated more torque, and made tight curves easier. The little seat was likely for a switchman to sit in. These were logging trains and didn't go very fast. The tracks weren't put down all that permanently for one thing. There are still some nice old logging engines out there that pull tourist trains.

Kent in SD

Michael Graves
11-Dec-2010, 07:39
There really aren't that many differences I can find. If I come across something, I'll add it.

I liked the review as far as it went. Was the review supposed to stop with the front standard?