PDA

View Full Version : Linhof focusing bellows

Frank Bunnik
10-Dec-2010, 13:04
I couldn't resist buying a nice Linhof Master Technika set recently. I would like to add the focusing bellows to this camera. Does anyone know if I will be able to see the whole groundglass with this item?

Thanks for your advice,
Frank

Bob Salomon
10-Dec-2010, 14:49
Yes but you will need the Fresnel to use it properly.
There have been 2 diiferent versions. The original had a 2x loupe in the eyepiece and that would let you see the entire gg or a quarter sized portion at 2x.
The current version has two 2x loupes so you can use one at 2x to see the entire gg or both together to view as small as a quarter sized area at 4x for more critical work.

The proper name for this item is the Linhof Focus/Metering Bellows. If you use a microscope adapter on your exposure meter then your meter adapter would fit into the rubber eyepiece of the Focus/Metering bellows and allow you to meter the entire gg or just a portion of it down to a quarter sized area.
To do this with the current version you have to unscrew the first 2x loupe (the one that would be closest to your eye.

When metering this way you would first read a grey card with your meter, then use that same meter with the microscope attachment in place through the Focus/Metering bellows. You will find that when you do it though the bellows you lose some light. Note how much and apply that as a factor when you do your actual reading. That factor will remian constant unless you change the gg and Fresnel. If you do you would have to do the measurements over to see how much light loss there is with the new gg/Fresnel combination.

Frank Bunnik
11-Dec-2010, 02:35
Thanks Bob. My camera is fitted with a Bosscreen. Will the bellows work with that screen?

Bob Salomon
11-Dec-2010, 04:49
Thanks Bob. My camera is fitted with a Bosscreen. Will the bellows work with that screen?

Yes, but it must be the Linhof version of the Boss screen or the focusing will be off.

Frank Bunnik
11-Dec-2010, 16:32
The screen reads "Bosscreen" and "super sharp focussing screen" on the bottom and "for Linhof cameras" on the top of the screen. Is that the correct one?

Bob Salomon
11-Dec-2010, 18:23
The screen reads "Bosscreen" and "super sharp focussing screen" on the bottom and "for Linhof cameras" on the top of the screen. Is that the correct one?

Yes.

Frank Bunnik
12-Dec-2010, 01:52
Thanks again for your kind advice Bob. Really appreciated.

Brian Ellis
12-Dec-2010, 09:31
You might want to try one of these things out before buying if you have a chance (or buy with the right to return for a refund if you can). I used one for a while on my Master Technika and didn't like it at all. Squinting through that small little peep hole made me feel like I was using the little viewfinder of a 35mm camera rather than viewing the scene through a nice 4x5 inch screen.

Frank Bunnik
12-Dec-2010, 10:47
Thanks for the advice Brian. Is the effect similar to using a reflex finder on the camera? I use a reflex finder on my Cambo Wide.