PDA

View Full Version : Gates of the Artic -- Artist-in-Residence

gainer
9-Dec-2010, 10:36
I saw this announcement and thought it might be of interest...for the right person it looks like a great opportunity:

Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve 2012 Artist-in-Residence Program
DaleLynn Gardner, AIR Coordinator
Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve
PO Box 26030
Bettles, AK 99726

REQUIREMENTS:

At Gates of the Arctic, there is one Artist-in-Residence patrol each year. The selected artist (or artists) accompanies a Park Ranger on a backcountry patrol. Patrols may accommodate the artist to a certain extent, but artists must be both physically fit enough to attempt such a journey and possess the skills and experience for extended, rigorous wilderness travel. The artists provide their own food, art supplies, camping and backpacking gear, and transportation to and from Coldfoot, Alaska. The Park supplies transportation originating and ending in Coldfoot, watercraft and associated equipment for float trips, and bear resistant food containers for all trips. Pets are not allowed.

The artist proposes an art project inspired by their residency that will be donated to the park and to agrees to make at least one public presentation about their experience within one year. Contributed works become park property and are placed on public display or performed within the community. Collaborative projects, and programs that coordinate with local schools and organizations are encouraged.

Artist-in-Residence patrols take place June - mid September. Artists interested in a winter experience may propose a residency in March or April.

To apply for this program you will need:

1. A one page "Statement of Intent" that describes what artistic project you prpose to produce and how your residency and proposed project will contribute to the preservation of Wilderness, Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve and or the National Park Service.
2. A description of your physical condition
3. A resume of no more than two pages
4. Two letters of recommendation
5. Art Samples: 10 for visual Artists, 3 for Video or Performance Artists, 1 six page maximum writing sample for Writers

For more information on Gates of the Arctic, the Artist in Residence program and tips for applications www.nps.gov/gaar/artistinresidence.htm.

bsdunek
9-Dec-2010, 12:08
Wish I'd known about this 20 years ago. I love that area. In 1988 my son and I flew all over that area in my 170. Just absolutely beautiful country. I guess at 72 I'll pass.

Darren H
9-Dec-2010, 12:12
That sounds like a great program for that location.

Also, is it just me or does QT sound like the ideal candidate?