PDA

View Full Version : Taking up 4x5 again would like comments or critique

mentalcrisis00
6-Dec-2010, 20:03
As some of you who have posted in my "OMG HELP ME" threads might know I'm coming back to 4x5 photography from a 4 year hiatus. Even when I was in school I only did 4x5 for a year and was terrible at it. I feel like I was impatient and didn't have the eye that I have now. These are photos that I've taken in the past month. I've been trying to get used to my new Wista DX and relearn my exposure/developing processes. I would like some feedback on composition, exposure, and/or subject matter. Feel free to post your own photos if you'd like.

I am thinking of a newer project that would deal with local churches here in Maine. I find it kind of interesting that a lot of the country churches have almost an identical look. When I was in Europe the churches seemed grander, even the small town churches. I also find the religious slogans that some congregations put on the signs in front of the church humorous. I don't know if it's visible because of the low resolution but one says "Free Trip to Heaven Details Inside". I found that phrase interesting and a little scary at the same time.

The rest of them are landscapes I've done here and there in Maine. I don't really know what I've been trying to do with them beyond practicing my technique.

mentalcrisis00
6-Dec-2010, 20:14
some more, these negs are a bit uneven I know. I wasn't agitating enough and messed them up quite badly. It shows up much more in the harbor shot, the sky has ripples in it. I've since gone to tray development and my negs have been much better as seen in the first 4.

Brian C. Miller
7-Dec-2010, 01:09
Lake (#4, first set) and cages (#1, second set) I recommend that you use a shallow DOF to isolate the real subjects. The lake is good, but the far bank isn't interesting. The cages are your real subject, not the docks on the far side.

I like the third church the best.

eddie
7-Dec-2010, 04:36
I also find the religious slogans that some congregations put on the signs in front of the church humorous.

here is a sign i found very funny. i am not sure if they are talking about pastor john or not.

mentalcrisis00
7-Dec-2010, 07:39
Thanks for the crit Brian, the 3rd church is actually my fave too. I gave it more room around the church by stepping back across the road and using my 90mm lens. The clouds made the sky interesting as well. I like the first church for the sole purpose of what the sign says. The composition is dull and the sky is bland. I may reshoot it but the parking lot I was standing in is completely surrounded by trees so I can't step back as much as I'd like.

I REALLY wanted the 2nd church with the tomb stones to work out. I like the composition in it but I over exposed it and the sky again is blank and not very interesting. The 4th one of the lake was kind of difficult for me to sort out because there's so much going on. I didn't really take the time I should have to think about the composition. But I actually agree with you about the shore, my buddy that was with me that day said almost the same exact thing you did but it didn't sink in.

Eddie hilarious church sign btw :)

jp
7-Dec-2010, 08:23
I would like some feedback on composition, exposure, and/or subject matter. Feel free to post your own photos if you'd like.

I am thinking of a newer project that would deal with local churches here in Maine. I find it kind of interesting that a lot of the country churches have almost an identical look. When I was in Europe the churches seemed grander, even the small town churches. I also find the religious slogans that some congregations put on the signs in front of the church humorous. I don't know if it's visible because of the low resolution but one says "Free Trip to Heaven Details Inside". I found that phrase interesting and a little scary at the same time.

I think we've got an interesting bunch of churches in Maine. I have also noticed many of them have 8-sided steeples. I'm not sure if 8 is just easy to build and nice to see or if there was some theological tie-in. I've put antennas in a few steeples for work, and there is a lot of history present compared to other local buildings. The bright white buildings is also a good technical challenge for dealing with highlights, and small challenges are good.

I think you have picked some good subjects, but I find I personally have to rephotograph under varying conditions to make a nice photo more excellent. I'm not knocking your photos as I'm pleased to see people out there doing it and relearning, but I find photographing things near where I live allows me the advantage to choose my weather and light angles and redo to refine things.

The first church photo I like, but it could be improved by using less red/orange filter; the dark sky blends in with the dark roof too much, which you have solved in the third photo. Also in the first photo, there is a wreath on the door, but not much snow present. Go back again during and after a snow storm if the church is nearby.

While I can't say for sure because a scanned print is often a poor representation of the negative, the first two look like the contrast is perhaps too strong because of the light quality present. If you derate your film speed a little, you can shoot in bright sunny weather, develop in pyrocat PMK (and perhaps the other pyro developers), and have nice negatives that aren't too contrasty. What are you using for film and developer now? Here is a tmy2+pmk shot I did a few weeks ago in very strong sun:

http://www.f64.nu/gallery2007/view_photo.php?full=1&set_albumName=album216&id=img283

In the second photo, the space between the rows could use some drama, and I'd suggest going back when the sun is lower and the shadows are about 6' long. Shouldn't be too hard to find low sun this time of year. Might be nice with a dusting of snow or just when the tree starts to bud too before the leaves obscure things.

Have fun with your project; don't let it become a scavenger hunt, but rather a chance to build and flex your creativity.

bgh
7-Dec-2010, 10:00
Ray--

RE the first church--is it my imagination, or is there a bit of a tilt to the steeple? It seems as though you didn't level things out before shooting, and had the camera pointing upward. Among the many virtues of LF is the ability to keep verticals and horizontals true, and for me, verticals that aren't quite vertical stand out.

That's a quibble, of course--these are vastly superior to my initial attempts (and, perhaps, to much of my current stuff as well....).

I like your attention to churches--particularly in rural areas, they really form the centers of communities. It would be a hike for you, but if you're able to get up to The County, take the drive along US 1 from Van Buren to Fort Kent--you'll see some very cool, frequently grand, examples on both sides of the St. John River. Just keep your eyes closed as you make way through Madawaska....

Bruce

mentalcrisis00
7-Dec-2010, 15:23
RE the first church--is it my imagination, or is there a bit of a tilt to the steeple?

Ya there is a tilt to the steeple. I had to use a 90mm lens to get the entire church in and I had to be close. Small parking lot surrounded by thick trees behind me and if I had gone across the road to the left there would have been telephone poles and power lines cutting the top of the steeple off.

I had the tripod head pointing upwards a bit and both standards leveled. I only worked briefly on this one because I had a destination in mind that day and wanted to get there before I lost the light. I'm planning on going back on less contrasty days to redo a couple of these churches.

I consider myself really starting over in LF because I have a new camera, lenses, film, development process. These are 8 of my first 30 exposures so they're really my starting point.

I used Kodak Tmax 400 developed with D76 1:1 10 1/2 minutes in trays. I'm getting some Efke 100 in this week that came recommended by a friend for it's great grey tones, I'm going to give that a try perhaps with Rodinal. Thanks a million for the comments :)

CarstenW
7-Dec-2010, 15:58
Efke is great, I have used the CHS 25 primarily though.