PDA

View Full Version : 360mm Sinaron S - Copal 3 Slow Speeds Not Working

Mike Herring
6-Dec-2010, 11:24
I hope one of the experts can help me with this.
Last year I purchased this lens as NOS from a dealer in Europe.
I just mounted the lens on my Sinar 8x10 and I found out the B, T, and 1/125 speeds seem like they are working. The 1 second, 1/2 and 1/4 second speeds are definitely not working. You also don't hear the "normal" gear sound you hear as you turn the shutter ring to the slower speeds - less than 1/60.
Does anyone think this is just an adjustment or was I "taken" with this purchase?
This was not an inexpensive purchase!

Thank you very much,
Mike

Louis Pacilla
6-Dec-2010, 13:01
Hi Mark

It's kind of hard to tell if your lens needs only a CLA & either way the only way to know whats up is to have a proven lens tech open it up.

That said. If I was betting man, I would take the bet that a CLA will quickly have the shutter running as good as new.

I hope one of the experts can help me with this.
Last year I purchased this lens as NOS from a dealer in Europe.
I just mounted the lens on my Sinar 8x10 and I found out the B, T, and 1/125 speeds seem like they are working. The 1 second, 1/2 and 1/4 second speeds are definitely not working. You also don't hear the "normal" gear sound you hear as you turn the shutter ring to the slower speeds - less than 1/60.
Does anyone think this is just an adjustment or was I "taken" with this purchase?
This was not an inexpensive purchase!

Thank you very much,
Mike

Andrew
6-Dec-2010, 13:37
If the lens has been sitting around unused for a long time it's likely to have the generic issues of drying lubricant and intrusion of dust... the slow speeds are first to be affected because they run on different gears under lower tension than the fast speeds. Getting the shutter serviced will almost certainly fix the problem.

BrianShaw
6-Dec-2010, 16:37
It's not an "adjustment" and you probably were not "taken". For slow speeds, there is a slow-speed escapement in the shutter that regulates the timing; more moving parts than for the fast speeds that don't use that escapement to regulate timing. Slow speeds are going to sound different than the faster speeds. Does 1 sec sound like 1 sec, or is it longer than that? When the shutter needs cleaning, the slow speeds run slower... because of the increased number of moving parts. I'm wiht others who think that if you have it overhauled by a competent tech your shutter will be back in fully working condition.

John Koehrer
6-Dec-2010, 22:32
90% of the time it's old dried up lube. A CLA should cure it, It's the nature of the beast to need exercise and since we don't know where you are it's really hard to recommend a technician.

Daniel Stone
7-Dec-2010, 09:50
give Carol Miller(Flutot) a call.

she's a gem of a lady, and offers 1st class repair services on all types of shutters.

very reasonable on pricing too, just a little slower on the turnaround due to being a 1-person shop

http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/Services.htm

-Dan