PDA

View Full Version : Nude

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17

cowanw
28-May-2019, 13:51
Thank you Bill, for your support. But I didn't interpret Charles' question as a kind of attack, but more as a question why - if I feel the male nude is sorely underrepresented - I am not contributing personally to the genre. I think it was an honest question and not intended to attack.

Frank, I don't think that is what Charles was implying, or at least I hope not. At face value, it was a reasonable question to ask, and so I offered an answer :-)

You are a good man,Charley Brown.

klw
28-May-2019, 23:04
This nudes thread has one very curious side effect: it reveals a lot about who the large format community is. I had to go back to November of 2015 to find a single photo that included a nude male figure (and I gave up looking around mid-2014 to hopefully find a second instance). Where are the Imogen Cunninghams of 2019?? (Or the Robt. Mapplethorpe's for that matter) Are there no women (or non-hetero men) in this community? I don't intend for these comments to be interpreted as negative - I simply find it very revealing and informative.

Why do you think this has to do with sexual orientation? Propably even more interesting: Why do you believe shooting nudes has to be related to sexuality in the first place?

Charles S
28-May-2019, 23:08
Thank you Bill, for your support. But I didn't interpret Charles' question as a kind of attack, but more as a question why - if I feel the male nude is sorely underrepresented - I am not contributing personally to the genre. I think it was an honest question and not intended to attack.

Frank, I don't think that is what Charles was implying, or at least I hope not. At face value, it was a reasonable question to ask, and so I offered an answer :-)

Thanks for not letting this erupt in a flame war. My comment was out of curiosity, not an attack or a reflection on this community.
Recently, on another gear / technical forum, a female photographer made a comment about feeling uncomfortable about how women were being portrayed. I presume this was because of the kind of images that were being posted, but I cannot say for sure. This poses a dilemma in terms of the freedom to express and explore subjects in a forum and being inclusive. I understood Paul's post in this direction.

My view is that LF format photography is done by a small and possibly shrinking community which is precious and worth protecting, though self-censorship on this forum if need be. However, my preference would be that we keep an open mind and see the variety of subjects posted on this forum primarily as a showcase of what is possible to accomplish with LF. I think it was very fitting that one of the members wanted to discuss the lens and technique used on a nude image I posted on this thread a couple of days ago. This is the value I get out of this forum and I would like to preserve. So, I regret having engaged in this discussion, which is a distraction from why I come here in the first place.

paulbarden
29-May-2019, 06:58
Why do you think this has to do with sexual orientation? Propably even more interesting: Why do you believe shooting nudes has to be related to sexuality in the first place?

I'll answer your questions with a question: how many of the photographs of the female body in this thread were made by women?

I regret having engaged in this discussion, which is a distraction from why I come here in the first place.

Its a shame you ended up regretting engaging in such a discussion. I would have thought that this community would welcome opportunities to discuss the philosophical aspects of why they do what they do. No?

Tin Can
29-May-2019, 07:09
As I already burned my bridges in this line of discussion...

Carry on

I'll answer your questions with a question: how many of the photographs of the female body in this thread were made by women?

Its a shame you ended up regretting engaging in such a discussion. I would have thought that this community would welcome opportunities to discuss the philosophical aspects of why they do what they do. No?

Jim Jones
29-May-2019, 07:27
This nudes thread has one very curious side effect: it reveals a lot about who the large format community is. I had to go back to November of 2015 to find a single photo that included a nude male figure (and I gave up looking around mid-2014 to hopefully find a second instance). Where are the Imogen Cunninghams of 2019?? (Or the Robt. Mapplethorpe's for that matter) Are there no women (or non-hetero men) in this community? I don't intend for these comments to be interpreted as negative - I simply find it very revealing and informative.

There need be no relation between nude photography and sexuality. Consider the nudes by Anne Brigman and Ruth Bernhard. Sexy? Perhaps, to some adolescent boys to whom everything is about sex.

Vaughn
29-May-2019, 08:07
There need be no relation between nude photography and sexuality....
Very true, there is no need for it, except, IMO, for purposes of commerce and maintaining the present level of society's discrimination against women through the objectification of the female body/form.

Peter De Smidt
29-May-2019, 09:27
Long experience shows that these types of discussions in this type of forum won't go anywhere good. There are many better venues for this type of discussion. If you don't like the pictures here, change the channel. Notions like 'objectification' are highly loaded blunderbusses, often deployed by people trying to justify subjective preferences.

If people are interested in how to empower people, including how not to do it, I recommend reading the book The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure by Jonathan Haidt and Greg Lukianoff.

Vaughn
29-May-2019, 10:42
Unfortunately, The Coddling of the American Mind is not a great source of unbiased information/thought.

But you are correct, such discussions here usually do not end well.

Peter De Smidt
29-May-2019, 11:11
Unfortunately, The Coddling of the American Mind is not a great source of unbiased information/thought.

We'll have to differ about that. Jonathan Haidt has excellent academic credentials. Moreover, I just read his book The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom where he talks a lot about my academic area, namely philosophy. He did a great job summarizing and explaining various philosophical points, something which isn't so easy to do, and his psychological claims didn't contradict anything I had in any of my psychology classes. So, of course it's possible for him to be mistaken about something, just as it's possible for you or I, but it's unlikely that he'd be stupidly wrong about his subject area. He doesn't just say what he believes. He explains why. Should he be dismissed because he holds opinions that you don't like? If all one has to do is to claim that someone is biased in order to dismiss everything that they say, then I'll simply point out that you are highly biased.

I've spent a number of years teaching the Philosophy of Sex, Love and Friendship at university. I've seen no inappropriate images in this thread. Do I like all of them? No. Could this thread be more encompassing? Sure, as could any collection.

paulbarden
29-May-2019, 11:19
Long experience shows that these types of discussions in this type of forum won't go anywhere good. There are many better venues for this type of discussion. If you don't like the pictures here, change the channel. Notions like 'objectification' are highly loaded blunderbusses, often deployed by people trying to justify subjective preferences.

Please note that I did not use the term "objectification" at any point in this discussion: to do so tends to open up a very specific hot button topic that rarely has anything to do with photographing the nude figure. I would also like to point out that I did not say that I didn't like the pictures presented in this thread. That was not my goal at all. I simply wanted to glean whether or not the "nudes" realm was dominated by straight males as much as it seemed to be, and if so, why? But I don't want to pursue this because I suspect Peter is correct about its inevitable direction, so I withdraw my query. Perhaps what I should instead do is act in my own best interest more, and talk less.

shoshin
29-May-2019, 11:30
Someone once said that the female body is a piece of art while the male body is more like a car. It's for getting around. Of course this is not a fact, it's a perception shaped by our culture. But as a male photographer who does some nude modeling himself (from time to time) thats also my own experience. It's very difficult to work against all those clichés.
But it's an interesting change of perspective that I can recommend to every photographer.

Vaughn
29-May-2019, 11:39
...If all one has to do is to claim that someone is biased in order to dismiss everything that they say, then I'll simply point out that you are highly biased...

Or it can mean that one should read the book (and/or earlier article that it is based on) with the authors' biases in mind and read other sources for a well-rounded viewpoint. The title itself was devised by the publisher and is not wording the authors themselves would have used -- and did not use in the book. But it created buzz and sales amongst the conservatives. One critic pointed out that starting out a book with a little bit of intellectual dishonesty is not promising.

Chester McCheeserton
29-May-2019, 11:41
here's a contemporary example of some fine art nude photography

http://www.reenaspaulings.com/HS.htm

Moderator's note: WARNING - the linked page presents explicit content that is *very* Not Safe for Work and would not be allowed on the Forum itself. Out of consideration for fellow Forum members and for Forum guests, if you include such a link you must give a clear warning of what viewers can expect.

Andrew O'Neill
29-May-2019, 11:54

You should post a warning.

Chester McCheeserton
29-May-2019, 12:04
You should post a warning.

Well I guess maybe people will see your comment....

The mods will probably take it down, and maybe I'll regret posting anything in this discussion.

it's certainly not my work, but the "nude" as a genre trope in fine art photography is so fraught, that I wanted to point to an example of an artist actually getting a significant amount of attention in the contemporary art world working in this genre.

What F-stop do you guys think she used?

Andrew O'Neill
29-May-2019, 12:12
I have no qualms with that, but a warning should be given. What f/stop? Who knows...

Peter De Smidt
29-May-2019, 12:22
Please note that I did not use the term "objectification" at any point in this discussion: to do so tends to open up a very specific hot button topic that rarely has anything to do with photographing the nude figure. I agree, which is why I objected to Vaughn's use of the term.

Peter De Smidt
29-May-2019, 12:31
Or it can mean that one should read the book (and/or earlier article that it is based on) with the authors' biases in mind and read other sources for a well-rounded viewpoint.

Good advice.

The title itself was devised by the publisher and is not wording the authors themselves would have used -- and did not use in the book.

Also good to know.

But it created buzz and sales amongst the conservatives. One critic pointed out that starting out a book with a little bit of intellectual dishonesty is not promising.

Well, I don't know about conservatives. I'm not one. I read that book because I saw Professor Haidt's Ted talk on moral values, and he did a very even-handed job there. I then read his book on ancient wisdom, and it was terrific. As a result, I gave his newest book a try. I've found it very worth reading, especially for someone in education. I appreciate all of the references to psychological research, and I plan on doing some more reading in that area. As you point out, the authors didn't even come up with the title, and yet you're using it to dish the book. If you have reason to think that they're wrong about something, and you want to discuss it in public, by all means do so. Give evidence that the authors are mistaken. That could be an interesting discussion, but not here. All I've seen you do in this thread is cast aspersions. Why come here then?

paulbarden
29-May-2019, 12:34
*I'll keep my opinions to myself*

paulbarden
29-May-2019, 12:36
*deleted*

Vaughn
29-May-2019, 13:21
Reviews of the book give credit to the authors for good work, but some point out some biases, inconsistancies and limitations to their arguments (and the critics' own biases must be taken into account). The book is a best-seller and has been nominated for awards...but should not be judged by its cover (title) which accounts partly for its popular success.

Women have been and are being discriminated against in our society, though there are those who probably disagree. I would like to be considered an ally to the women movement and as an ally and out of respect, I no longer make nude images of women. A personal choice..and while I state my opinion of why I do not, I do not condemn those males that make them, but I will not praise them either.

Oren Grad
29-May-2019, 13:44
I took its introduction "here's a contemporary example of some fine art nude photography" as a fairly conspicuous warning ;-)

It seems to me that in spite of dire warnings about the outcome, this has led to some interesting, thoughtful discussion after all. See? We CAN be adults about this after all!

I'm sorry, but people are already mounting their soapboxes.

Peter's opening remark...

Long experience shows that these types of discussions in this type of forum won't go anywhere good. There are many better venues for this type of discussion. If you don't like the pictures here, change the channel.

...was exactly right.

By all means debate these important issues - somewhere outside of the Forum. Any further discussion here along these lines will be deleted.

Vaughn
29-May-2019, 14:03
Will do, Oren.

Chester McCheeserton
29-May-2019, 15:05
Moderator's note: WARNING - the linked page presents explicit content that is *very* Not Safe for Work and would not be allowed on the Forum itself. Out of consideration for fellow Forum members and for Forum guests, if you include such a link you must give a clear warning of what viewers can expect.

Okay, fair enough – noted...Thanks for not deleting the link

Jac@stafford.net
29-May-2019, 15:31
What does photography of nudes, especially in the constrained technique of LF shown here contribute to art? To me the answer is Nothing. Almost no photographer here has demonstrated a new or enlightening idea or view. They may as well be photographing table-top fruits.

faberryman
29-May-2019, 16:00
What does photography of nudes, especially in the constrained technique of LF shown here contribute to art? To me the answer is Nothing. Almost no photographer here has demonstrated a new or enlightening idea or view. They may as well be photographing table-top fruits.

Yes. A lot of what is posted here is not nudes, but photographs of naked women.

rdenney
29-May-2019, 20:05
Wars have been fought over the definition of art. All of us bring a different definition. I would suggest that we hold to our own definitions in what we post, be sensitive to those who may not be as enlightened as we are, and not try to dance at the edge of forum guidelines, where lowly mods must exercise discretion, usually to the satisfaction of few.

Rick “who converges on the real definition of art only to find it slipping away again” Denney

Vaughn
30-May-2019, 06:13

Alas, the same can be said of images of rocks and trees, of old buildings and cars, of babies, and of one's travels. If the viewer's first thought upon seeing a photograph is to think, "That's a beautiful girl" or "What a great car", or so forth, then the artist-photographer has failed (at least with that particular viewer) -- however, the non-artist photographer will have succeeded. We have both artists and non-artists here, with varying levels of competence in both. We need to honor both in our posts.

Tin Can
30-May-2019, 06:29
ART is often censored, denied, political, politically incorrect and not recognized as art until time has passed. Perhaps centuries.

Art is primarily defined by others. not the artist even if he fervently believes in her art.

Spoken word stories are art, perhaps derived from bird chatter.

Likewise technology is ever evolving. From a rock weapon to an Atomic bomb.

We are also evolving, as all life does.

Dan Dozer
30-May-2019, 11:56

Well - I photograph nudes, and I photograph table top fruit, and I photograph nudes with table top fruit. I guess I should stop calling myself an artist.

By the way - have you seen Kenro Izu's new book "Seduction". He shoots nudes and table top fruit. I guess he isn't an artist either.

Tin Can
30-May-2019, 12:23
Some here think everything has already been done and best

and never emulate any image ever made before

Copycat...

Others define beauty as art

I refer you to 1960 Rod Sterling's Eye of the Beholder available right now on Prime. Here. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/0OO13HY3QL1DMBMGS6Q2VOBMMF/ref=imdbref_ttwo_wn_sub_piv_1)

A favorite episode I may have watched first in 1960.

Jac@stafford.net
30-May-2019, 12:37
A photograph of a pretty subject does not equal a pretty photograph or painting. (https://nationalpostcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/monalisa.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=780&zoom=2)

pepeguitarra
30-May-2019, 14:01
Bad news guys nobody here seems to qualify as an artist:
--------
art·ist
/ˈärdəst/
------------
a person who produces paintings or drawings as a profession or hobby.
synonyms: creator, originator, designer, producer, fine artist; More
a person who practices any of the various creative arts, such as a sculptor, novelist, poet, or filmmaker.
a person skilled at a particular task or occupation; "a surgeon who is an artist with the scalpel"
synonyms: expert, master, maestro, past master, adept, virtuoso, genius, old hand, skilled person.

------

"...unlike any other visual image, a photograph is not a rendering, an imitation or an interpretation of its subject, but actually a trace of it. No painting or drawing, however naturalist, belongs to its subject in the way that a photograph does."

----

More here (https://contrastly.com/photography-art-form/)

paulbarden
30-May-2019, 14:30
Bad news guys nobody here seems to qualify as an artist:
--------
art·ist
/ˈärdəst/
------------
a person who produces paintings or drawings as a profession or hobby.
synonyms: creator, originator, designer, producer, fine artist; More
a person who practices any of the various creative arts, such as a sculptor, novelist, poet, or filmmaker.
a person skilled at a particular task or occupation; "a surgeon who is an artist with the scalpel"
synonyms: expert, master, maestro, past master, adept, virtuoso, genius, old hand, skilled person.

------

"...unlike any other visual image, a photograph is not a rendering, an imitation or an interpretation of its subject, but actually a trace of it. No painting or drawing, however naturalist, belongs to its subject in the way that a photograph does."

----

More here (https://contrastly.com/photography-art-form/)

I feel very fortunate in that I do not care if my work qualifies as “Art” in the eyes of any person viewing it. I like what I do, I find the work itself rewarding, and generally, the images provide me with enjoyment and I am proud of them. Occasionally, people tell me they like my photographs too, and while it is certainly nice to receive praise, the opinion of others does not define the value of my work. Do what pleases you and don’t waste energy worrying about whether your output = Art.

rdenney
30-May-2019, 17:16
Furthermore, there is absolutely no requirement that what people post is art. The only requirement is that it be made using a large-format camera.

Rick “in the I-don’t-know-really-care-that-much-what-is-art camp” Denney

pepeguitarra
30-May-2019, 18:27
I was watching a video that included interviews with several adult women after watching porn movies for the first time. Their responses show some disbelieve in some of the actions in addition to the fact that they were not aroused or excited as men would have. One conclusion was that the effect of those videos on women are not the same as on men, and that in general, men are motivated more for GRAPHICs, while women are more for words or reading. That would explain the preference of men to draw, paint, or photograph the female body.

Keith Fleming
31-May-2019, 20:45
As for the question regarding the definition of "artist," the local county fair long ago made its decision. The sign over the entrance to the exhibition building reads "Art and Photography."

Keith

klw
1-Jun-2019, 02:12

I honestly don't know, but i don't think that it matters. So let me answer with an article by Lauren Naylor:

https://medium.com/vantage/why-i-shoot-fine-art-nude-photography-a-woman-s-perspective-nsfw-52ae1beea569

tonyowen
1-Jun-2019, 06:54
adult women after watching porn movies for the first time. Their responses show some disbelieve in some of the actions in addition to the fact that they were not aroused or excited as men would have.

I saw Deep Throat at Yale in the early 1970s. My personal response and the response of my female companion match the above exactly. She thought the whole thing was silly.

regards
Tony

ndwgolf
6-Jun-2019, 16:56
240 heliar / 5x7 linhof tech III

http://www.government-traveler.com/examples/kylie5x7.jpg
Love that

Charles S
6-Jun-2019, 23:39
Good move, with a lovely image. We're back on track

Love that

ndwgolf
7-Jun-2019, 02:50
Good move, with a lovely image. We're back on track
One of mine. Chamonix 8x10 360mm Kowa Graphic Profoto B1 Head
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ir5yqwk1yiz6r2r/Neil%27s-Photography181.jpg?raw=1

EH21
7-Jun-2019, 15:34
Dr Tang and Neil, nice images!
Here's one of mine from somewhere in Utah. T-max 400, d76, 4x5 shot handheld in an Alpenhaus 90mm 110b conversion

ndwgolf
7-Jun-2019, 16:14
Here's one of mine from somewhere in Utah. T-max 400, d76, 4x5 shot handheld in an Alpenhaus 90mm 110b conversion

Nice

Peter Collins
8-Jun-2019, 07:35
Very nice, EH21! I like the natural edges' contrasting with the rounded feminine form.

takpro
10-Jun-2019, 01:13

Beautiful [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charles S
10-Jun-2019, 22:15
Maya shot with an Gibellini Bellatrix 8x10 and Fujinon W 250 on Foma 100 / Microphen / Epson V850

takpro
11-Jun-2019, 16:21
Maya shot with an Gibellini Bellatrix 8x10 and Fujinon W 250 on Foma 100 / Microphen / Epson V850

Nice.

pepeguitarra
16-Jun-2019, 17:18

I am glad there is no relation between nudity and sexuality. ;)

Ootsk
17-Jun-2019, 20:59
Speed Graphic, Portra 160. Darlot 4.5 ish lens, I think around 200ish.

klw
17-Jun-2019, 21:15
I am glad there is no relation between nudity and sexuality. ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pornography

Charles S
17-Jun-2019, 23:31
Anne
Tech notes: Gibellini Bellatrix 8x10, Fujonon W 250, Foma 100 in ID11

MultiFormat Shooter
19-Jun-2019, 19:51
Speed Graphic, Portra 160. Darlot 4.5 ish lens, I think around 200ish.

Interesting look, it has a fashion magazine quality to it, which I like.

ndwgolf
19-Jun-2019, 20:10
Anne
Tech notes: Gibellini Bellatrix 8x10, Fujonon W 250, Foma 100 in ID11
Looks great

cr2512
19-Jul-2019, 06:13
Toyo 8х10, Velostigmat series II 12in/f4.5 wide open, Ilford MG glossy paper negative at ISO 3, 7 year ago expired developer

cr2512
19-Jul-2019, 06:20
Toyo 8х10, Velostigmat series II 12in/f4.5 wide open, Ilford MG glossy paper negative at ISO 3, 7 year ago expired developer

Charles S
20-Jul-2019, 01:41

Lovely

MultiFormat Shooter
20-Jul-2019, 17:20

This one is my favorite, but I like both of them!

Charles S
14-Aug-2019, 22:24
Ivana, shot on the Gibellini Bellatrix 8x10 with a Symmar-S 300mm on Foma 100 in Microphen

Ananias
23-Aug-2019, 13:39
Intertwined, July 2019. Toyo 45A w/ Schneider Apo-Symmar-S 150/5.6 – Ilford Fp4+ rated at 100.

massimodec
23-Sep-2019, 03:44
Lovely

The link now goes nowere... :confused:

massimodec
23-Sep-2019, 03:45

The link now goes nowere... :confused:

Vaughn
23-Sep-2019, 09:10
Intertwined, July 2019. Toyo 45A w/ Schneider Apo-Symmar-S 150/5.6 – Ilford Fp4+ rated at 100.

excellent!

takpro
8-Oct-2019, 17:28

Beautiful [emoji1360]

C_M
21-Nov-2019, 14:52
... it was a cold September, before the Indian summer.

ebOny SV45TE
Ilford fp4

Dirk Baeumker
23-Nov-2019, 12:50

ebOny SV45TE
Ilford fp4

Although I like the proportions and the general framing, I find the pose of the figure somewhat weird.

C_M
23-Nov-2019, 13:30
Although I like the proportions and the general framing, I find the pose of the figure somewhat weird.

Thanks Dirk, maybe the pose is a bit strange...

HMG
23-Nov-2019, 13:37
Thanks Dirk, maybe the pose is a bit strange...

I think the muscle tone on the back is a bit different (perhaps twisting her torso) but the overall pose is fine.

C_M
23-Nov-2019, 13:50
I think the muscle tone on the back is a bit different (perhaps twisting her torso) but the overall pose is fine.

Thanks, I could only do two shots in that spot. That morning three holders fell into the water...
I have much to learn.

Rick Rycroft
23-Nov-2019, 21:24

ebOny SV45TE
Ilford fp4

To me it seems quite candid rather than posed. I like it.

C_M
24-Nov-2019, 03:51

Thanks Rick, that encourages me...

paulbarden
24-Nov-2019, 17:43

I agree.

C_M
25-Nov-2019, 07:46
I agree.

The negative looks good.
Like your work with the collodion. Thanks, Paul.

hiend61
1-Dec-2019, 12:19

ebOny SV45TE
Ilford fp4

I love the framing and composition. I like very much all the muscle and bone texture. I find it natural and expontaneous, not to mention that all these details add richness to the picture. Well done.

Deardorffuser
1-Dec-2019, 12:28
8x10"

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/46978074655_003bc316f5_o.jpg

ndwgolf
1-Dec-2019, 12:30
8x10"

Now that is a nice picture

Pieter
1-Dec-2019, 13:39
What's with the lamp?

Deardorffuser
2-Dec-2019, 10:05
8x10"

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48687406606_1588ce22bc_o.jpg

david@bigeleisenlaw.com
2-Dec-2019, 21:07
I really like the lamp.

shoshin
3-Dec-2019, 01:24
The lamp is great, and so is this photo!

Philippe Grunchec
3-Dec-2019, 09:44
I really like the lamp.

The one with two bulbs?

Pieter
3-Dec-2019, 11:18
Sorry, the lamp is an unsightly distraction in an otherwise appealing photo. It adds nothing, means nothing, just detracts from a pretty model and good lighting.

Peter Collins
3-Dec-2019, 18:17
+1 with Philippe!

shoshin
3-Dec-2019, 23:53
Sorry, the lamp is an unsightly distraction in an otherwise appealing photo. It adds nothing, means nothing, just detracts from a pretty model and good lighting.

Without the lamp her boobs would probably be the lead story of this photo. But because the lamp is there, although it does not fully cover them, the nudity becomes secondary.
I like that.

Rick Rycroft
4-Dec-2019, 00:21
The lamp is great, and so is this photo!

I agree. The cord is wrapped around her ankle and makes me wonder. Sure, pictures of nice looking things are fine, but making us think and imagine is good, too.

Pieter
4-Dec-2019, 10:09
A vacuum cleaner her hands would make me think more than that lamp. It is blocky, dark and leads me nowhere.

John Fink Jr.
4-Dec-2019, 11:02
Wonderful two images above!!!

Tin Can
5-Dec-2019, 06:03
I have said the wrong thing before in nude section...

It is a wonderful image!

The lamp may be a metaphor, "The phrase can’t hold a candle to has its roots in the 1600s, when the lowly apprentice to a master of a craft might only be fit to hold a candle in order to provide light for the master while he tends to a problem. An apprentice who was not even skillful enough to hold a candle for his master was worthless, indeed. The earliest known citation for this term is from 1641 in The fower cardinal-vertues of a Carmelite fryar by Sir Edward Dering: “Though I be not worthy to hold the candle to Aristotle.”" Source here. (https://grammarist.com/idiom/cant-hold-a-candle-to/)

There are several that apply

The dangling cord also implies...

The person illuminated is extraordinarily beautiful, perhaps distraction is

8x10"

CreationBear
5-Dec-2019, 07:31
Maybe she's just looking for an honest man. (Doubt she will find one, though, dressed like that.:))

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes

Tin Can
5-Dec-2019, 07:38
I learned my lesson right here in this thread,

Judge not...

Vaughn
5-Dec-2019, 11:15
Without the lamp her boobs would probably be the lead story of this photo. But because the lamp is there, although it does not fully cover them, the nudity becomes secondary.
I like that.

I would say the opposite. Humans get more sexually excited about what they do not see than by what they do see. Sexy clothing is sexy because of what they cover up, not what they show.

Tin Can
5-Dec-2019, 11:29
Second that.

One of girlfriends insisted we visit a Nudist event in a large Health club. All ages, with swimming pool, hot tubs, volleyball and big Bar with real booze

Nobody looked that good in the well lit club

Teenage girls wore clothes. Grandma did not

Erections strictly banned

I had to wait awhile in the hottub after my friend got out...

I miss her...

I would say the opposite. Humans get more sexually excited about what they do not see than by what they do see. Sexy clothing is sexy because of what they cover up, not what they show.

F64
5-Dec-2019, 13:41

Shen Hao TZ45IIa, Schneider TeleXenar 360 at 5.6 on 4x5 Ilford FP4+ (crop)

Rick Rycroft
5-Dec-2019, 21:28
A vacuum cleaner her hands would make me think more than that lamp.

Not sure if this is supposed to be funny or just misogynistic?

Pieter
5-Dec-2019, 23:59
I sincerely apologize if anyone was offended by my faux pas in trying to compare the absurdity of the lamp in the image. Sexist--unintentionally so. Chauvinist--again, not consciously. But certainly not misogynistic. I just have a difficult time seeing the purpose or symbolism of the lamp. The lamp will be powered by her strong sexuality? I will most probably get in trouble for that one, too.

shoshin
6-Dec-2019, 04:37

True. But there is nothing really hidden here. It's just the direct view that is blocked.

Pieter
6-Dec-2019, 08:54
OK. I'm going to dig this hole deep enough that I can't get out.

I have thought about the lamp some more, and here are possible explanations:

1. She is brandishing it to defend herself.
2. It is a gift, possibly of sentimental value or significance.
3. Some sort of steam-punk sex toy.
3a. An erotic fantasy involving an electrician.
4. There has been an argument, or passionate love-making and the lamp was knocked over. She has picked it up.
5. She represents a goddess of light or electricity.
6. Her lover has disappointed her, and she is retreating to a corner of the room to read (or sulk?).
7. She does not know what to do with her hands. The photographer handed her the lamp.
8. It's the last sheet of film or the end of the session. The photographer suggests, "Let's do something different."
9. To paraphrase Freud (or was it Groucho Marx?), sometimes a lamp is just a lamp.

I'm in big trouble now.

Tin Can
6-Dec-2019, 08:58
She is a person...

Peter Lewin
6-Dec-2019, 11:40
So far, 20 comments on one photograph. Hasn’t this gone a bit off the rails?

Tin Can
6-Dec-2019, 11:44
21, it is a good image!

So far, 20 comments on one photograph. Hasn’t this gone a bit off the rails?

jtomasella
6-Dec-2019, 17:04
OK. I'm going to dig this hole deep enough that I can't get out.

I have thought about the lamp some more, and here are possible explanations:

1. She is brandishing it to defend herself.
2. It is a gift, possibly of sentimental value or significance.
3. Some sort of steam-punk sex toy.
3a. An erotic fantasy involving an electrician.
4. There has been an argument, or passionate love-making and the lamp was knocked over. She has picked it up.
5. She represents a goddess of light or electricity.
6. Her lover has disappointed her, and she is retreating to a corner of the room to read (or sulk?).
7. She does not know what to do with her hands. The photographer handed her the lamp.
8. It's the last sheet of film or the end of the session. The photographer suggests, "Let's do something different."
9. To paraphrase Freud (or was it Groucho Marx?), sometimes a lamp is just a lamp.

I'm in big trouble now.

3, go with 3.

Deardorffuser
8-Dec-2019, 10:06
;) without lamp

http://shmigiriloff.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/60sm.jpg

Peter De Smidt
8-Dec-2019, 10:14
Isn't it amusing how riled up people get when their evolutionary buttons are pushed? Another fine portrait, Deardorffuser!

Louis Pacilla
8-Dec-2019, 10:23
;) without lamp

Fantastic work Deardorffuser both w/ & w/out lamp! One of the best artist posting work in this section IMHO and always quality images.

Tin Can
8-Dec-2019, 10:25
Not Nude!

but excellent!

Vaughn
8-Dec-2019, 10:37
Not sure if this is supposed to be funny or just misogynistic?

I would go with satirical.

This series of nudes/semi-nudes are not portraits -- they revel very little of the person. Glamour photography would be a better fit as its genre.

Edited to add: I bring this up because it helps to better understand the poses and props. Instead of the images being primarily biographical (portraits), the photographer, as photographers do, is creating his/her own stories, which in turn can not help but be at least partly autobiographical and express who the photographer is.

Pieter
8-Dec-2019, 10:38
Isn't it amusing how riled up people get when their evolutionary buttons are pushed? Another fine portrait, Deardorffuser!

Another non sequitur. Care to explain?

Andrew Plume
8-Dec-2019, 15:36
.............oh no, it's that lady again

.............but continually excellent work

regards

Andrew

orgraph
16-Dec-2019, 12:41
;) without lamp

http://shmigiriloff.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/60sm.jpg

Понравилось

Tin Can
16-Dec-2019, 13:09
Ditto!

chaspics
16-Dec-2019, 21:30
Flag on the play. After 50+ years of candid and formal portraits, a portrait does not require the subject to be making eye contact with the photographer. Why do you think this is staged? Why do you think this piece does not truly record the essence of the subject? Get a book, visit a gallery. There is no reason why this cannot be described as a portrait.
Chas

Lungeh
24-Dec-2019, 16:43
No eye contact on this one...

Lungeh
24-Dec-2019, 16:49
Previous, Kiev 88 on Arista EDU 100, pushed about 1/2 stop.

Next:
Eye contact...
Busch Pressman Tri-x 400 4x5 (handheld).
Any comments appreciated. And of course these are "staged", hired models and controlled setting. There are few circumstances where candid nudes are appropriate.

Dan Dozer
1-Jan-2020, 23:39
Previous, Kiev 88 on Arista EDU 100, pushed about 1/2 stop.

Next:
Eye contact...
Busch Pressman Tri-x 400 4x5 (handheld).
Any comments appreciated. And of course these are "staged", hired models and controlled setting. There are few circumstances where candid nudes are appropriate.

Next time you might consider shooting from a lower angle. This shot makes her legs look shorter than they probably are.

basiltahan
18-Feb-2020, 16:06
Comments welcomed. 8x10 Ambrotype. 420mmf4.5 Acomar.

hiend61
19-Feb-2020, 12:41
Nice pic. I like the atmosphere. It reminds me the nude pictures from the 20´s of last century.

Dugan
19-Feb-2020, 12:44
I agree...excellent!

basiltahan
19-Feb-2020, 15:43
Comments welcomed. 8x10 Ambrotype. 420mmf4.5 Acomar.

Thank you. I was using classic paintings as the inspiration for the pose. I am working on a vintage / modern beauty project. Thanks for the feedback.

cbk
22-Mar-2020, 10:10
4x5 blind negative. Daylight studio

Lungeh
22-Mar-2020, 11:39
Very nice! I like the framing and composition.

cbk
22-Mar-2020, 11:59
Thanks

Wysłane z mojego Hammer_Energy_18x9 przy użyciu Tapatalka

basiltahan
1-Apr-2020, 03:49

Whole plate wet collodion. 4800 w/s into reflective umbrella.

Tin Can
1-Apr-2020, 04:02
Wow!

Peter Lewin
1-Apr-2020, 07:07
At a time when almost all of us, and from what I read much of the world, is locked down with "stay in place" orders, staying in place with a nude model seems a wonderful way to make what are called in another thread, "quarantine photos!" Impressive work!

basiltahan
1-Apr-2020, 18:45
Thank you.

basiltahan
9-Apr-2020, 17:04

Whole Plate wet collodion

Deardorffuser
11-Apr-2020, 13:37
8x10
symmar s 360
foma 200@800

http://shmigiriloff.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/77y-768x959.jpg

Jim Noel
11-Apr-2020, 16:54
I have seen her in this pose but don't mind seeing her again.

NCAmother
21-Apr-2020, 14:55
A tryptich. 4x5 Fuji instant film and distressed acrylic.
Image details:Home made camera with 150mm xenotar and GhostMaster flash module. Model Apneatic.

takpro
1-May-2020, 03:44
A tryptich. 4x5 Fuji instant film and distressed acrylic.
Image details:Home made camera with 150mm xenotar and GhostMaster flash module. Model Apneatic.

Nice [emoji1360]

gsinico
27-Jun-2020, 03:01

Sofa,
EbonySU -TMY 4'x5'- 135 Sironar

gsinico
27-Jun-2020, 03:02

Magnolia flower

gsinico
27-Jun-2020, 03:03

Arch.

gsinico
27-Jun-2020, 03:04

Hat

Tin Can
27-Jun-2020, 04:50
Very good, particularly like the arch pose

jtomasella
27-Jun-2020, 12:37
My favorite is the sofa, it leaves a lot to the imagination

Peter De Smidt
27-Jun-2020, 12:41
Mine is the one with the window. Well done.

Hugo Zhang
27-Jun-2020, 13:15
All very good and could be a part of series to tell a story. :)

gsinico
28-Jun-2020, 01:32

Another Sofa

gsinico
28-Jun-2020, 01:35
All very good and could be a part of series to tell a story. :)

Thanks to everyone. I'm coming back here afther two years, keeping on with large format.

Jim Jones
28-Jun-2020, 16:24
These are getting better and better. Thanks for posting.

hiend61
29-Jun-2020, 07:15
All are superb. My preferred is the one with the window.

basiltahan
30-Jul-2020, 16:46

Wet collodion. Whole plate.

basiltahan
30-Jul-2020, 16:47

basiltahan
30-Jul-2020, 16:52

Gigibertcha
31-Jul-2020, 01:30
"La Sièste"
Toyo 45 G, HP5, magnifer glass as lens, photo of print on Foma 111

giovanni.sinico
27-Sep-2020, 16:56
Arca Swiss F, TMY, Sironar 135.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200927/cd38e955fc646a8f6f085dd3ad9b264f.jpg

Inviato dal mio ELE-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

Tin Can
28-Sep-2020, 05:57
Like!

Great pose

Arca Swiss F, TMY, Sironar 135.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200927/cd38e955fc646a8f6f085dd3ad9b264f.jpg

Martin Aislabie
1-Oct-2020, 05:40

Love it - such fun :o

Martin

Lungeh
1-Oct-2020, 06:52
But he's wearing a shirt!

giovanni.sinico
5-Oct-2020, 16:48
You are pretty smart?[emoji56]

giovanni.sinico
5-Oct-2020, 16:53
Another shot, strobo.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201005/03a24352dbea8a40adfc4b39247c5d28.jpg

giovanni.sinico
5-Oct-2020, 16:54
Another shot, strobo.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201005/03a24352dbea8a40adfc4b39247c5d28.jpg

Inviato dal mio ELE-L29 utilizzando TapatalkLook up!

massimodec
7-Oct-2020, 08:48
"La Sièste"

Very good!
Very classic !

zone
10-Dec-2020, 15:31
Sorry ... i hava a little big question.
how do you keep a person still during the chassis loading time?
Between when you focus and when you insert the plate and remove the volet.
I rarely succeed.
Sorry for my poor google english

Gigibertcha
11-Dec-2020, 01:54
Very good!
Very classic !
Thank's, massimodec!

IvanBurke3301
11-Dec-2020, 07:18
Very good!
Very classic !

Oh yeah, I agree with you!

IvanBurke3301
11-Dec-2020, 07:23

Tin Can
11-Dec-2020, 07:36
Like!

Willie
11-Dec-2020, 09:39

Vaughn
11-Dec-2020, 10:10
Next time get my model release first...

Martin Aislabie
11-Dec-2020, 10:27
Sorry ... i hava a little big question.
how do you keep a person still during the chassis loading time?
Between when you focus and when you insert the plate and remove the volet.
I rarely succeed.
Sorry for my poor google english

This is what I do.

Sitting down or lying down is easy - get her comfortable and ask her not to move.

If she is standing up :-
Make sure she is standing in a stable position - both feet on the ground a little apart.
If possible, get her to stand on post-it notes (in a studio) or have her toes touching small stones (outside) - so she knows where her feet need to be.
If you can, get a 3rd point of contact with the model - a hand holding something or touching an out of shot spare tripod.
If you cannot have her touching something, get her to line her eye up with something - a mark on the wall or feature in the landscape as well as an out of shot tripod - so when she is in the right position the two objects line up exactly when her head is in the right position.

I also suggest that they practice yoga and concentrate on their breathing.

Generally, experienced models are better at it than beginners - but some models get-it and can do it and others never will.

Good luck

Martin

Tin Can
11-Dec-2020, 10:46
Her, him, they or person

cbk
11-Dec-2020, 11:31
"La Sièste"

206424Excellent.

Wysłane z mojego Hammer_Energy_18x9 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Exploring Large Format
11-Dec-2020, 12:04
This is what I do.

Sitting down or lying down is easy - get her comfortable and ask her not to move.

If she is standing up :-
Make sure she is standing in a stable position - both feet on the ground a little apart.
If possible, get her to stand on post-it notes (in a studio) or have her toes touching small stones (outside) - so she knows where her feet need to be.
If you can, get a 3rd point of contact with the model - a hand holding something or touching an out of shot spare tripod.
If you cannot have her touching something, get her to line her eye up with something - a mark on the wall or feature in the landscape as well as an out of shot tripod - so when she is in the right position the two objects line up exactly when her head is in the right position.

I also suggest that they practice yoga and concentrate on their breathing.

Generally, experienced models are better at it than beginners - but some models get-it and can do it and others never will.

Good luck

MartinJust looking at images from Thanksgiving portrait session with family (household), and the tension between achieving strong bokeh AND crisp focus where I wanted it was born out in the images. Sometimes yes, but often didn't get both.

I am totally jumping on your excellent practical suggestions for models staying put. Better than my barking at them to stay put. [emoji6]

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gigibertcha
2-Feb-2021, 14:09
Toyo 45 G, Schneider 1:4,5/150mm, Tmax 400

Old_Dick
2-Feb-2021, 20:11
Gigibertcha, thanks, gold stars.

Dan Dozer
3-Mar-2021, 22:53
Something a little different.

Delta 100 8 x 10
Tri Tran 15" Signature Lens

Dan Dozer
3-Mar-2021, 22:55
Another one with the Tri Tran Signature Lens.

Tri Tran
4-Mar-2021, 00:18

Congrats on your new Studio Dan. Love your shots with the 15in. Smooth transition. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe.

Tin Can
4-Mar-2021, 00:39
Great portrait!

Reminds me of a lover and good friend

Tri Tran
4-Mar-2021, 09:08
Very nice Dan. A+ for the first pose

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Mar-2021, 18:24
Dan, very nice work as always!

Tracy Storer
5-May-2021, 16:11
A member was looking for info on the Kodak 305 Portrait on 8"x10". Several years ago I shot a couple sheets in the studio with that lens, probably between f/5.6 and f/8, there's a lot of "effect" remaining wider than f/8 with the lens. Posted for the sake of information.
Model: Keira Grant
Deardorff V8
Kodak 305 Portrait Lens f/5.6-1/2?
Ilford HP5+, HC-110-B
"scan" is Lumix GF-1 with neg on lighttable.

Tin Can
5-May-2021, 19:02
Wow

Great concept too

Jim Noel
6-May-2021, 08:59
I like the fall-off from using the "too short" 305mm on 8x10. Great work.

david@bigeleisenlaw.com
6-May-2021, 19:21
Hi, Tracy,
I haven't seen you in a long long time. I'll call you and we can ger together.

David

Rhyno214
7-Aug-2021, 08:13
My first successful portrait on 11x14 with my Chamonix camera and Fuji 360mm lens. The film was Bergerr 400 and was developed in Pyrocat-HD in a print drum. I already made a few contact prints, but this is a very reduced drum scan file from Candela. Hoping to print it at like 50x60 once I finish moving... It sure helps to have a good model to be able to pose perfectly still for a 2-second exposure

Tin Can
7-Aug-2021, 08:31
Good work and getting a model lay on a rock is not always peaceful

Keep it coming!

My first successful portrait on 11x14 with my Chamonix camera and Fuji 360mm lens. The film was Bergerr 400 and was developed in Pyrocat-HD in a print drum. I already made a few contact prints, but this is a very reduced drum scan file from Candela. Hoping to print it at like 50x60 once I finish moving... It sure helps to have a good model to be able to pose perfectly still for a 2-second exposure

Martin Aislabie
22-Aug-2021, 08:29

5x4 camera + 210 mm lens
HP5 @ 5 stops - ID11 1+1 - Jobo CPP + 3010 tanks
Ilford Cooltone RC + Ilford Multigrade Dev

Tin Can
22-Aug-2021, 08:33
Landscape!

5x4 camera + 210 mm lens
HP5 @ 5 stops - ID11 1+1 - Jobo CPP + 3010 tanks
Ilford Cooltone RC + Ilford Multigrade Dev

Paddy McKay
30-Sep-2021, 19:56
Reminiscent of Jock Sturges. I really like the quality of the natural light.

Martin Aislabie
21-Dec-2021, 10:47

5x4 + 210 mm lens

Deardorffuser
21-Dec-2021, 14:23
8x10

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47941465992_2b07008dfc_o.jpg

Lungeh
25-Dec-2021, 09:12
Lovely tones and mood, nicely done!

Jim Jones
27-Dec-2021, 10:51
Beautiful!

EH21
29-Dec-2021, 00:09

Nicely done!

cornelius leviathan
20-Jan-2022, 22:48
my first posting in this forum. 4x5 ilford delta 100, hc 110 35:1, plaubel junior, rodenstock 210mm f/5.6 sironar, scan epson v 850223763

cornelius leviathan
20-Jan-2022, 23:23
2237644x5 ilford delta 100, hc 110 35:1, plaubel junior, rodenstock 210mm f/5.6 sironar, scan epson v 850

Jim Jones
21-Jan-2022, 09:50
Cornelius - That second nude is well done!

BBW
21-Jan-2022, 12:34
Cornelius - That second nude is well done!

+1

otto.f
22-Jan-2022, 00:32
+1

+1

cbk
23-Jan-2022, 04:03

sinar f2, schneider symmar s 300/5,6, fomapan 100, id11 1+1, drum development, contact print on orwo bn111, sepia+selenium tonning

drarmament
23-Jan-2022, 08:20
8x10

Wow, This is gorgeous. I started following you on IG.

otto.f
23-Jan-2022, 10:13
sinar f2, schneider symmar s 300/5,6, fomapan 100, id11 1+1, drum development, contact print on orwo bn111, sepia+selenium tonning

I very much like the setup, the interior, the pose, the composition, the tonal scale and the whole way you processed this portrait, lovable! On a longer term I would have problems with what the portraitee conveys with the look in her eyes, quite ambivalent.

Martin Aislabie
24-Jan-2022, 08:09

5x4 + 210 lens
HP5 in ID11 @ 1+1
Ilford Cooltone RC in MG Dev

Lungeh
24-Jan-2022, 18:59
Effective simplicity, very nice!

Pieter
24-Jan-2022, 20:15
8x10

Wrong category. She's clothed.

Martin Aislabie
11-Feb-2022, 11:07
C1

5x4 + 210 lens
HP5 + ID11 @ 1+1
Ilford Cooltone RC + Ilford MG Dev

Martin

Lungeh
12-Feb-2022, 08:20
I love the contrast, and nice framing. Lovely, and effective!

Martin Aislabie
13-Feb-2022, 11:45
I love the contrast, and nice framing. Lovely, and effective!

Thanks.
I cannot tell you how many prints went in the bin as I struggled with the proportions of the print.
Martin.

szadow
15-Feb-2022, 01:19

I love this one!

szadow
15-Feb-2022, 01:28
https://live.staticflickr.com/811/26088245967_be9975dd16_b.jpg

Graflex Speed Graphic + Kodak Ektar 127/4.7 + Fomapan 100

zone
15-Feb-2022, 01:59

Beautiful image ... good.

The model looks like a jointed doll for the pose of the legs.

Tin Can
15-Feb-2022, 05:24
Yes, an interesting conceptual Art image

The camera lens and woman share aperture, seen and unseen

Both create 'life' inwardly and outwardly

High Key works well and your non usage of Digi is evident at bottom right, a 'Mark' I value highly

Bravo! A term I have never used on this forum

szadow
15-Feb-2022, 05:48
Thank You kindly

Wysłane z mojego CPH2145 przy użyciu Tapatalka

cbk
15-Feb-2022, 11:21
splendid. Genialne Maćku

Vaughn
15-Feb-2022, 13:03

One of the funnier nudes I have seen!

Bob Salomon
15-Feb-2022, 13:13
224699Here is a nude from a Photokina show.

Lungeh
15-Feb-2022, 17:45

Linhof Technika IV with Scneider Kreuztnach 135mm
Kodak TMY

cbk
16-Feb-2022, 12:13
like the mood

szadow
10-Jul-2022, 04:17
https://drscdn.500px.org/photo/1050801887/q%3D80_m%3D1000/v2?sig=d3d46464246a6f976e12dbd825431ede54a2e961c224c34e85c4c084ead6611b

Intrepid 8x10 + Symmar 300/5.6

Foma 100 + HC110 dil E

Tin Can
10-Jul-2022, 04:25
Like!

https://drscdn.500px.org/photo/1050801887/q%3D80_m%3D1000/v2?sig=d3d46464246a6f976e12dbd825431ede54a2e961c224c34e85c4c084ead6611b

Foma 100 + HC110 dil E

Martin Aislabie
10-Jul-2022, 04:54

5x4 + 210mm + UV
HP5 + ID11(1+1) @ 5stops
MG Cooltone RC + MG Dev

Martin

Peter De Smidt
10-Jul-2022, 05:18
Well done, Maciek!

photojeff3200
12-Aug-2022, 14:25
Gorgeous!

szadow
20-Aug-2022, 03:48
https://drscdn.500px.org/photo/1052817022/q%3D80_m%3D1000/v2?sig=b7980b5626c8f9a110cd939f1c61bb288a395b4e81e571448476b204f9078df1
Intrepid 8x10 + Rodenstock 210/5.6 + Fomapan 100

Tin Can
20-Aug-2022, 04:26
Very nice and artistic!

https://drscdn.500px.org/photo/1052817022/q%3D80_m%3D1000/v2?sig=b7980b5626c8f9a110cd939f1c61bb288a395b4e81e571448476b204f9078df1
Intrepid 8x10 + Rodenstock 210/5.6 + Fomapan 100

Christo.Stankulov
26-Aug-2022, 03:23
Lovely!

Tin Can
26-Aug-2022, 12:43
Ok

You ask for

I don’t think “nudes” automatically involve sexuality/sex. But I think you’d have difficulty demonstrating otherwise when viewing the “nudes” posted to the forum: 95% of them are clearly works of erotic intent, first and foremost. Most of what I see here would easily fit on the pages of a 1970s Playboy magazine; it’s soft core porn and little else.

Tin Can
26-Aug-2022, 14:32
I bought unfolded, oversize 'fine art prints' from Playboy when he was dumping everything

I think the price was $5 each packed carefully in tissue

I did protest one members nudes years ago, I HAD THE ISSUE!

I won't discuss why or the member

My last wife retouched centerfolds, in the last days, 8X10 color

She would not teach me retouching or look at them in any way, couriers came and went

She painted like an old master, using their technique. I became her sitter for 6 months, life size

One night I came home from work to find her cutting my first wife out of any pictures

Beauty, sex, porn, is human frailty and how we procreate

Don't worry soon all women will wear Red Robes and Hoods

Monks use self flagellation

Ok

You ask for

Iga
29-Aug-2022, 11:06
This message has been deleted by paulbarden.
Reason
nobody wants to hear this

Why ? I am partly agree...

Tin Can
29-Aug-2022, 11:11
Nice Still Life Iga

I am working something almost

This message has been deleted by paulbarden.
Reason
nobody wants to hear this

Why ? I am partly agree...

takpro
1-Sep-2022, 17:13
Nice.

Foma 100 + HC110 dil E

szadow
16-Sep-2022, 05:16
https://drscdn.500px.org/photo/1054090754/q%3D80_m%3D1000/v2?sig=87869bc7517335784d76a63167a70b11493863357adc2d25f8b5d8596830a58e

Intrepid 8x10 + Rodenstock 210/5.6

Foma 100

Graham Patterson
16-Sep-2022, 16:16
The eyes are really strong - I like that they are just out of alignment with the background, too.

Martin Aislabie
17-Sep-2022, 07:18
https://drscdn.500px.org/photo/1054090754/q%3D80_m%3D1000/v2?sig=87869bc7517335784d76a63167a70b11493863357adc2d25f8b5d8596830a58e

Intrepid 8x10 + Rodenstock 210/5.6

Foma 100

Very nice.

Window light ?

Martin

szadow
18-Sep-2022, 05:10
Very nice.

Window light ?

Martin

Yes, there was a window on the light

McCoy
21-Sep-2022, 11:45
Deardorffuser - OUTSTANDING!

McCoy
21-Sep-2022, 11:48
Wrong category. She's clothed.

Outstanding!

szadow
24-Sep-2022, 05:51
https://drscdn.500px.org/photo/1054462696/q%3D80_m%3D1000/v2?sig=556aa605d9e4ab9bae9cad26ecebc7e6186e401e4b034b44516d2a546b7965a1

Intrepid 8x10 + Symmar 300/5.6 + Fomapan 100

Martin Aislabie
7-Feb-2023, 10:38

I have reworked an existing negative trying to produce something closer to what I imagined the original should look like.

It's quite a rubbish scan - the highlights on the print do have subtle graduations

5x4 camera + 210mm lens
HP5 + ID11 (1+1) @ 5 stops
Ilford Cooltone RC + MG Dev

Martin

Martin Aislabie
14-Feb-2023, 11:08

I have reworked an existing negative trying to produce something closer to what I imagined the original should look like.

5x4 camera + 210mm lens

Martin

Tin Can
14-Feb-2023, 11:58
Yes we do need a reference

You found one

Thank you

5x4 camera + 210mm lens

Martin

Martin Aislabie
19-Feb-2023, 11:55
Yes we do need a reference

You found one

Thank you

Thank you

Martin

Martin Aislabie
26-Feb-2023, 10:23

The print isn't just black and white as the scan suggests - there are some subtle details in the high key tones that I just cannot capture with my digital kit.

5x4 camera + 210mm lens

Martin

Tin Can
26-Feb-2023, 10:28
as old school pervert, raised on tiny snaps of nude

I prefer the nipple

Daniel Unkefer
26-Feb-2023, 10:32
https://drscdn.500px.org/photo/1054462696/q%3D80_m%3D1000/v2?sig=556aa605d9e4ab9bae9cad26ecebc7e6186e401e4b034b44516d2a546b7965a1

Intrepid 8x10 + Symmar 300/5.6 + Fomapan 100

My initial impression is "Beautifully Surreal". She's really quite thin and that biggie flower is the perfect compliment. Well done again.

Merg Ross
22-Mar-2023, 21:48

Silhouette, 1971

4x5 Plus-X / D-76

Peter De Smidt
23-Mar-2023, 06:38
Outstanding, Merg!

Martin Aislabie
24-Mar-2023, 04:32

Silhouette, 1971

4x5 Plus-X / D-76

Very nice.

Simple silhouettes are really effective.

Martin

Merg Ross
24-Mar-2023, 07:36
Very nice.

Simple silhouettes are really effective.

Martin

Thank you, Peter and Martin.

Axelwik
24-Mar-2023, 10:57
It's funny how people complain about seeing the natural human form, but never say a word about unnatural things such the extreme violence, blood, gore, war, and murder seen every day in movies and TV programming. It's completely backwards, and sick.

Lachlan 717
24-Mar-2023, 12:14
It's funny how people complain about seeing the natural human form, but never say a word about unnatural things such the extreme violence, blood, gore, war, and murder seen every day in movies and TV programming. It's completely backwards, and sick.

Probably true in the microcosm that is the USA; not so much in the other204 countries of the world.

Axelwik
24-Mar-2023, 21:32
Probably true in the microcosm that is the USA; not so much in the other204 countries of the world.
Most of the world yes, but not all.

Lachlan 717
24-Mar-2023, 22:50
Most of the world yes, but not all.

You’re in pretty rarified air.

willwilson
26-Mar-2023, 11:40
Merg, you inspired me to dig this one out. It was taken in the early 2000s. Great minds think alike.

It was from a series I did inspired by Mapplethorpe. He did some painted nudes and I just thought that sounded fun. My models had a blast with it too. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230326/385e2d97d5ede621b2d370cbe7aa32b9.jpg

Tin Can
26-Mar-2023, 12:25
Very good!

gsinico
22-Apr-2023, 22:36
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230423/bfe2e95643f689a7347b86c7de76e4d7.jpg
Hp5 /HC110/ 4x5’

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk