PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from down south

Nortega
5-Dec-2010, 21:56
Hi all,
I'm fairly active on smaller format sites like RangeFinderForum, and Manual Focus Lenses... I never really got into the into the large format workflow. Mostly because I associate it with my childhood and the unpleasantness of working for my father. :rolleyes:

He recently passed, and now I'm charged with dealing with his photographic estate. He had some great optics, but nothing that I can really find myself using immediately. So I figured I would join this community and learn as much as I can about a format I've ignored for a long while now... and decide what I should keep and what I should pass on.

Look forward to asking some questions and reading further.

Cheers all.

msk2193
6-Dec-2010, 05:08
Welcome aboard. You might want to dust off the old equipment and enjoy spending some time with it. Once you see these huge negatives you'll get rid of your medium format very quickly!
But, travel with an M9 is much easier than a huge 8x10.

Nortega
6-Dec-2010, 15:05
Thanks MSK, there are some loaded backs sitting here in front of me... and I am tempted to play with this expired Polaroid stock with some transfer techniques I think I remember. Here's some of the large format stuff I have:

3 – SINAR 4x5 Bellows Cameras
1 – 8x10 SINAR Bellows Camera
1 – Sinar Silver Base 4x5 Bellows Camera
2 – 4x5 Polaroid Land Film Holders
45 – 4x5 Backs (some loaded)
3 – Bag Bellows

LENSES

1 -- Super-Angulon 210/8
1 -- Fujion A 180/9
1 -- Schneider-Kreuznach 150/5.6
1 -- Super-Angulon 90/5.6
1 -- Rodenstock Grandagon 90/6.8
1 -- Schneider-Kreuznach 75/5.6
1 -- Schneider-Kreuznach (Symar-S) 210/5.6
1 -- Fujinon W 300/5.6
1 -- Fujinon A 300/9
1 -- Schneider-Kreuznach 210/5.6

dsim
6-Dec-2010, 16:24
Pretty cool selection of gear available to you. Like Michael said, start shooting. Lookin forward to seeing your images.

Vick Vickery
6-Dec-2010, 20:24
Welcome to group therapy! :) From that list, your father had excellent taste in photographic equipment...Sinar cameras are top notch, and the lenses are all very fine ones also; depending on the type of Polaroid holders you have, they may be usable with the current Fuji pack films or they may be of no use at all...no film is made any longer for the slide-in single shot Polaroid backs. Hope you decide to play around with it and find it enjoyable. LF work is a whole lot slower and more contemplative an exercise than any other type of camera, but it can be very rewarding.

Nortega
7-Jan-2011, 10:44
Thanks everyone,
I've been reading through a lot on the forum these past months and it's spurned me to go out and shoot a little with one of these Sinars. Definitely a different workflow. :)

After assembling one kit for myself, I have confirmed my suspicion that I do have more gear than I will ever be able to use myself and some items that are way overkill for the level of shooting I plan to do. I think the best thing for me to do is get this extra gear in the hands of pros that can use it to it's full potential.

I will start listing some of the items I feel are above and beyond my level and the cameras, lenses, and gear I have duplicates of in the classified section soon.

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes and thanks for convincing me to keep shooting BIG film. :cool: