PDA

View Full Version : Lens cleaning/repair question

myoptic
5-Dec-2010, 08:21
I have a 135/4.5 Anastigmat Skopar with the following problem. :confused: I'm not sure what it is, but it appears to be moisture.

Who would clean or fix that for me? I have to send a shutter to Carol F, but this is just the lens.... the shutter seems fine.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dahosten/Gear#5547201741264466194

Louis Pacilla
5-Dec-2010, 09:01
The Skopar is a tessar formula. You should be able to unscrew the front & rear cells . The rear cell is a glued pair so clean the two outer air surfaces.

The front cell is a air spaced pair that you should be able split (most times screws apart) & get to the inner air space. Often this air space gets some condensation forming a haze. This builds up over many years of poor storage.

The good thing is you can get to the inside of this (usually where the haze is) air space & give it a good cleaning.

Use proper cleaning technique using lens cloth & lens cleaning fluid. See if this gets it done.

Hope this helps
Peace

myoptic
5-Dec-2010, 19:24
Louis,
Thanks, I'll see if I can give it a go.
David

Tim Deming
6-Dec-2010, 16:45
Louis is right on. If you are lucky, when you unscrew the whole front lens set, you will be able to unscrew and take out the middle element from the back (it should be obvious if there is a knurled ring to grip + threads). If not, on quite a few skopars of this vintage, the front lens is removed from the front. The thin ring with the lettering unscrews --you will probably need a rubber stopper or a rubberized lens wrench to grip it. I've had luck on some of these placing the tips of small tweezers on the insides of the ring, just above the glass, and applying outward pressure to grip the ring, then turn. just be careful to not scratch the ring or the glass.

good luck

Tim