PDA

View Full Version : Beseler 57MT wiring and motor questions

christopher walrath
3-Dec-2010, 19:09
I got this 57MT this summer. I ran it through the ringer at work after I got it, more or less, home. It seems to work flawlessly. But I have a couple of questions.

1. The electrical wiring (ie. to and from motor, switch, etc.) is dryrotted pretty badly. There is no bear wire but I would prefer to not have the first spark light up a chemical-gas-filled darkroom. How easy would it be to replace the wiring and is there any specific type of wiring to use? Other than black coated wire capable of conducting 220 voltage, of course?

2. After running the head up and down the posts a few times, I noticed some brown fluid leaking from the motor. What is this and what does its presence portend?

Hey, it was the perfect price and only two hours away. i have not used it but I know that I will sometime soon. Just wondered what you all thought.

Edit: Oh, and does anyone have a manual for the thing? It's pretty self-explanatory, but still . . .

Roger Thoms
3-Dec-2010, 19:38
Chris, couple of thoughts. First of all I don't think the wiring would be a big deal to replace. I'd go to the hardware store and find a similar wire make sure that it the correct gauge to match the wire you are replacing.

As far as the brown fluid it could be lubricant from the gear box. I figure your motor is similar to the 45MXT and if you look on Beselers website under enlargers you can find a part blow up for that shows the gearbox. Maybe take the housing off the moter/gearbox assemble and have a look.

I have a Beseler 45MXT but it's in storage or I'd take a look for you. I have contacted Beseler in the past and they have always been helpful. So that might be worth a try. For instance they could probably tell you exactly what type of wire you need. They may also have some insight as source of the brown fluid.

BTW do you have a picture of the enlarger that you can post?

Roger

banjo
3-Dec-2010, 19:48
hey christopher
here I would just go down to see John at the motor rewind shop &
have him look at & maybe do it for me John would do it for me for say
$ 25.00 or less that what I would do & I am a Electrician
banjo

dsphotog
6-Dec-2010, 11:42
Terrific enlarger!
According to the manual,(dated 10/6/1941) "the elevation gear reduction box uses molybdenum grease."
If it weeps a little that means its lubricated, kinda like an old Harley or a British sports car - With those, If it stops leaking you know it's out of oil.

R Mann
6-Dec-2010, 16:02
KHB Photografix in Canada has the manuals - I have been rebuilding a 57MVT and had to replace a lot of the wiring because it had rotted. I haven't had any leakage from the motor, but there was a lot of extra grease in the gear box the motor was attached to. On mine the biggest problem was the bellows, they were beyond repairing, so I am having a new set made.

christopher walrath
7-Dec-2010, 19:59
Thanks alot guys. I work in an auto parts store so molybdenum grease is a piece of cake. Know lots of electricians if I think it's gonna be over my head but that is pretty much what I was thinking. Just wanted a second opinion. And . . .

According to the manual,(dated 10/6/1941) "the elevation gear reduction box uses molybdenum grease."

Do you have that manual, David? If so, can I get a copy? If not, where did you find it? It's pretty much self-explanatory but I would love to have a copy for reference.

Thanks again everybuddy.

dsphotog
7-Dec-2010, 21:54
Chris, I sent you a PM re the manual.
It has the wiring schematics too!