PDA

View Full Version : Large Format Photography - 2010 Survey

bjdejong
1-Dec-2010, 14:26
Out of pure private interest I have created a short survey on large format photography. The objective of this survey is to get an idea on the current usage of large format cameras. The survey runs from December 1 till December 31, 2010. The data are collected out of private interest; there is no commercial intention behind it. The results will be announced on the http://www.largeformatphotography.info forum and published early 2011 on http://infocast.nl.

If you use a large format camera, I would highly appreciate if you could spend the time to complete this survey.

You can find the survey at: The Large Format Photography Survey (http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=HLMHIF_6639d09b)

In case you have questions, please let me know.

With kind regards,

Barend Jan de Jong
http://infocast.nl

P.S. For the survey I use a free survey facility. This facility is being paid for by some advertisements. I hope that these do not bother you to much.

Ron Marshall
1-Dec-2010, 14:28
What questions are asked on the survey?

bjdejong
1-Dec-2010, 14:39
Dear Ron,

The following 10 questions are being asked in the survey:

1. What is your favorite large format camera that you use? (brand and type) - only one please
2. What is your the film-size you use for large format most frequently?
3. What is the film that is your current favorite? (brand and type) - only one please
4. Do you use for large format most of the time a completely analogue, hybrid or digital workflow?
5. Do you use a digital back on your large format camera? (If yes, please provide brand and type)
6. What is your favorite lens that you use? (brand and type) - only one please
7. Under which category would youl classify your large format work?
8. How many different large format pictures have you taken over the last 12 months? (note: field accepts only a number)
9. Website address (In case you want to share your website address)
10. Comment field - In case you want to share additional information.

You can find the survey here: The survey (http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=HLMHIF_6639d09b)

With kind regards,

Barend Jan

Gem Singer
1-Dec-2010, 14:41
A great way to gather private information under the guise of being pertainent to large format photography.

bjdejong
1-Dec-2010, 14:45
Dear Gem,

I feel sorry for your lack of trust. I am not gathering private information at all. If you do not want to share information, I can respect that, but please do not insinuate that there are inproper motivations behind my survey.

With kind regards,

Barend Jan

Ralph Barker
1-Dec-2010, 14:50
A great way to gather private information under the guise of being pertainent to large format photography.

DON'T FALL FOR IT!

I didn't see any private data being requested.

Steven Tribe
1-Dec-2010, 14:52
Surely this is just collecting data for commercial product development and marketing decisions Are we interested in influencing available products in the future or not? Questions 3 and 9 are no go though.

Gem Singer
1-Dec-2010, 14:54
Barend Jan,

Somehow I knew when I posted that you would protest and try to defend yourself.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I would like to know if you asked permission from the forum moderators before posting your survey.

This forum is constantly being bombarded with spam. Naturally, I am suspicious of anything that appears to be in that category.

Gem Singer
1-Dec-2010, 14:55
Ralph,

Look at questions 3 and 9.

Ron Marshall
1-Dec-2010, 14:56
As long as it is anonymous I have no problem with it.

The data may be helpful to someone contemplating offering a new LF related product.

bjdejong
1-Dec-2010, 15:00
Dear Gem,

I appreciate that you respond to my previous answer and that you ask open questions.

With regard to my survey, I am not aware that I should have asked the moderators. I do not think there is any harm in my questions, actually I suppose that there will be forum members are actually interested in the results. As mentioned I will publish the results on the forum once the survey and analysis are completed.

With kind regards,

Barend Jan

Vaughn
1-Dec-2010, 15:15
Survey completed!

Vaughn

Gem Singer
1-Dec-2010, 15:57
Didn't anyone read the P.S. at the bottom of the post?

Sounds like a disclaimer to me.

Spammers are becoming more and more sophisticated in figuring out a means of obtaining free advertising space on the internet and clever techniques for building up their data bases.

I only hope this is not a spammer at work.

Drew Bedo
1-Dec-2010, 16:02
My 8x10 is a Kodak 2-D. I would like to try out a Deardorff, Zone VI or a newer full featured camera in 8x10 such as Canham, Ritter or other modern camera of new manufacture.

My 4x5 kit was bought whole at one of the last big camera shows in Houston. It was a great deal on a complete shooter’s outfit. And yet, I might like to swap out a lens or two and maybe get a camera with longer bellows draw.

This survey is directed at reporting the gear we actually have and use. That is fine , as far as it goes, however this survey assumes that what I have is exactly what I want. This is not necessarily the case. Perhaps a follow-up survey would also be helpful. Another survey might ask similar questions about what we would like to use. These two surveys together would give a more complete picture.

Brian C. Miller
1-Dec-2010, 16:07
Ralph,

Look at questions 3 and 9.

Look at the survey! I don't think that Barend knows too much about film or LF. If he were a shill for Kodak or Ilford or who knows, then the questions would reflect some expertise. Are you sure your paranoia is justified? ;)

* 2. What is your the film-size you use for large format most frequently?
6x6 cm rollfilm cassette
6x7 cm rollfilm cassette
6x9 cm sheetfilm

* 7. Under which category would you classify your large format work?
Food

Barend: 120/220 roll film doesn't come in a cassette. It comes on a spool, like a spool of thread. Also, roll film is not normally used on a large format camera. 6x9 sheet film hasn't been produced for quite a while. While someone may have a camera which uses that format, it won't be their #1 rig. While an edible substance may be a part of a "still life" photograph, it won't be a seperate category. I think people photograph their pets more than they photograph their dinner plate.

I have no problem with the survey.

William McEwen
1-Dec-2010, 16:20
Dr. Singer, I don't sense any sinister espionage going on with the survey, but I respect your judgment. Still, what's wrong with a big company or a foreign government taking an interest in what LF users own and prefer?

Gem Singer
1-Dec-2010, 17:34
William,

How do you know whether, when you click on the "survey" link in the post, a cookie isn't being planted in your computer?

Don't be surprised if you receive a PM or Email from someone in a foreign country offering a deal on a new type of penis enlarger.

After all, that is a type of large format, isn't it? (insert smiley face here).

Bryan Lemasters
1-Dec-2010, 18:49
Frankly, I am with Gem Singer on this. The "survey" may be harmless but it doesn't belong here nevertheless. The OP could have just as easily asked the same questions via one of the polls that are often posted on this forum. bjdejong is a newbie gathering information on forum members by requesting that they transfer to another website to answer questions - that automatically makes the request suspect. Just my 2 cents.

Bob Kerner
1-Dec-2010, 19:01
It seems like data mining. The motivations aren't necessarily relevant. If you don't mind data mining then go for it.

He's asking us to go to another website to conduct a survey. There are all sorts of information security issues here from phishing to why are there advertisements on the site if this is just for personal interest?

I belong to to about half a dozen forums such as this and, to be honest, this is the only one where stuff like this pops up; where someone can join and post advertisements for their own businesses and data mine. Is there anyone filtering this stuff, such as a moderator?

Merg Ross
1-Dec-2010, 19:33
Why don't we just ask the man why he's collecting this data?

Better yet, why not let him volunteer the reason.

I'm with Gem, Bryan and Bob on this, for similar concerns.

Vaughn
1-Dec-2010, 19:33
Has anyone taken the time to see his website? Besides me?

Merg Ross
1-Dec-2010, 19:34
Has anyone taken the time to see his website? Besides me?
Yes.

Pawlowski6132
1-Dec-2010, 20:08
Better yet, why not let him volunteer the reason.

I'm with Gem, Bryan and Bob on this, for similar concerns.

Really, though, what are you guys afraid of? What do you think's going to happen to you?

Bob McCarthy
1-Dec-2010, 20:27
Well, a couple of thoughts.

The OP is not a known member of the community, this would have gone far more smoothly if he had at least some history.

It's likely he's just attempting to fit in quickly, patience grasshopper....

The questions are pretty innoculus and other than i declined to give an email address I'm not too worried.

Bob

Bryan Lemasters
1-Dec-2010, 20:52
Really, though, what are you guys afraid of? What do you think's going to happen to you?

Really not afraid of anything, Pawlowski, jut a question of propriety. While infocast.nl might plant a cookie or be phishing for info, my best guess on the purpose of the post is this: bjdejong is a website/blog owner who includes advertisement on his page to produce some income (not that this kind of advertising produces any big $$$). The more traffic he can direct to his site/blog, the more income. Having no prior history with the Large Format Photography Forum makes it appear that the only purpose for the survey is to direct traffic to his site. He has never engaged in any discussions or shared any images on this forum, only asked (in his very first post) that we visit his site and take a survey (and then re-visit the site to see the results of the survey).

And BTW, when you name your photography site "infopost.nl", then ask people to visit it and take a survey, why would you NOT think that it might arouse suspicion?

Gem Singer
1-Dec-2010, 20:53
Pawlowski,

More likely than not, this is a perfectly innocent attempt by the OP to take a survey.

Best case: we helped a guy bring a gizmo to market that will revolutionize LF photography.

Worst case: by clicking on his link, we are planting a worm or virus in our computers that will eventually destroy our hard drives (I've had this happen). We will then be in for a time consuming, expensive repair, or possibly, a new computer.

Is it worth the gamble?

Merg Ross
1-Dec-2010, 20:58

I am not living in fear. It is simply that as a contributor to this forum, I am puzzled by this initial post. How has the individual contributed anything meaningful to this forum to date?

For those who love to answer surveys, have at it.

Robert Jonathan
1-Dec-2010, 21:22
Pawlowski,

More likely than not, this is a perfectly innocent attempt by the OP to take a survey.

Best case: we helped a guy bring a gizmo to market that will revolutionize LF photography.

Worst case: by clicking on his link, we are planting a worm or virus in our computers that will eventually destroy our hard drives (I've had this happen). We will then be in for a time consuming, expensive repair, or possibly, a new computer.

Is it worth the gamble?

1. The link to the survey isn't a link to his site, but rather a quick and easy survey-making website, kwiksurveys.com. It is the survey-making/taking site that has the advertisements, NOT the OP's website. If you click on the ads, kwiksurveys makes money, not the OP. LOL

2. My virus scanner did not detect anything harmful. No problems there. Most viruses are harmless anyway, and can be removed very easily.

3. Cookies are everywhere, and you can turn them off, and/or delete them.

jss
1-Dec-2010, 21:23
I am willing to stand up and being counted as a LF shooter.

I use nearly discontinued film and ancient glass so I don't think I'm aiding any modern manufacturer. I'm urging other LF shooters to take the survey - I'm interested in seeing the results!

msk2193
1-Dec-2010, 21:31
People, settle down.

This BJ seems to be an amateur photographer with an interest in finding out what others do. No harm done.

I just wished he spent more time at his real job and get my WK stock value back up!

Barend Jan, welkom laat eens wat werk zien op de forum!

MIke Sherck
2-Dec-2010, 07:36
The website associated with the poster is clearly a photo enthusiast's site. The survey asked for no personal information and I happily filled it out.

Mike

Louis Pacilla
2-Dec-2010, 09:39
Hi Barend

Just filled your survey out. Will be interesting to see survey results down the road. All but email address.

Seemed legit & harmless. Who knows, It could be used to strength the commitment of a few film manufacturers. If frogs had wings.:rolleyes:

Bryan Lemasters
2-Dec-2010, 09:43
1. The link to the survey isn't a link to his site, but rather a quick and easy survey-making website, kwiksurveys.com. It is the survey-making/taking site that has the advertisements, NOT the OP's website. If you click on the ads, kwiksurveys makes money, not the OP. LOL

Ah! I stand corrected. Thanks Robert.

Michael Gordon
2-Dec-2010, 10:42
Even as a long-time member and contributor to this forum, I encountered some of the same opposition from this forum's conspiracy theorists when I posted a poll about a year ago. :confused:

If you find such polls objectionable or think there are black helicopters involved, then just don't respond. But to take the time to look, comment, and complain.... geez.

Bryan Lemasters
2-Dec-2010, 12:01
Even as a long-time member and contributor to this forum, I encountered some of the same opposition from this forum's conspiracy theorists when I posted a poll about a year ago. :confused:

If you find such polls objectionable or think there are black helicopters involved, then just don't respond. But to take the time to look, comment, and complain.... geez.

.......and if you find such conspiracy theories objectionable and think there are knee-jerk reactionaries involved, then just don't respond. But to take the time to look, comment, and complain......geez. ;) :eek: :p

streetlevelfoto
2-Dec-2010, 12:37
survey completed.

I wish some fields were multiple choice... but there ya go. :)

Deane Johnson
2-Dec-2010, 14:35
I assume there must be at least a couple of members of this forum who wear aluminum foil hats to keep the outer space aliens from bombarding their brains with harmful rays?:)

Gem Singer
2-Dec-2010, 15:02
Deane Johnson,

I don't wear an aluminum foil hat, but I do wear wear a fireproof coat to ward off flames from individuals like you.

I sincerely hope that the OP's survey proves to be on the up and up.

However, if it's not, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Deane Johnson
2-Dec-2010, 15:04
I am not afraid.

Besides, I didn't mention you.

Bryan Lemasters
2-Dec-2010, 16:10
I assume there must be at least a couple of members of this forum who wear aluminum foil hats to keep the outer space aliens from bombarding their brains with harmful rays?:)

Hey, don't make fun of my hat. I like my hat. Beam me up, Scotty!

Kirk Gittings
2-Dec-2010, 16:14
I just filled it out. It seems pretty innocuous, and more importantly-pretty lame, as far as surveys go......

eddie
2-Dec-2010, 16:30
Holy sh!t page four of this forum post I found super funny.

Thanks for the laughs!

Bernard Kaye
2-Dec-2010, 16:53
In honor & memory of Ben van Meerendonk, the Amsterdam-Rotterdam Street Photographer, and admiration for his son Ben, and daughter-in-law Coco, I completed the survey.
Bernie Kaye

bjdejong
3-Dec-2010, 00:23
Dear all,

The response on the survey is rather good. I did not expect such a high response over the first day. In The Netherlands large format has been driven to the background and I suspect that there aren't many people using it actively. So, I am pleased to see that there are still quite a few people around that have their heart and mind dedicated to LF.

From some of the comments I read the wish that I should have used more multiple choice in my survey. The reason that I didn't is confirmed to be a valid one by the initial answers. The variety of cameras and lenses being in use is enormous. And as soon as you make a list you will be told to have forgotten relevant ones, or included obscure ones. Making a good survey is not easy at all, and different people will have different quality criteria.

I also did choose to ask for the favorite pieces of equipment. The reason behind this is that most of you are likely to have more equipment in your camera bag than what you actually use. To get an idea of what one's favorite is, is in many cases more relevant.

Some questions and notes asked for my photo's and experience with Large Format. Yes, indeed, I am a photo enthiousast. I have a Wista 45SP that I have been using for a couple of years about 15 years ago, mainly with a roll film cassette and some 4x5. (you can find some of my pictures on my blog at http://infocast.nl) It has been sitting on my shelves for about 10 years or so, but back in my mind it kept on nagging: I should continue with that chapter in my life. Currently I am validating an hybrid workflow for TMY, and hope to do some 4x5 portraits soon. My biggest struggle is to find the necessary time - as someone noted, I also have a full time job to take care of.

To comment on some of the shared fears, and the aluminium foil. I look to it this way, indeed the internet is like life itself a dangerous place. That does not prevent me to live life with the assumption that people are of good will. Every now and then I encounter people that proof that this assumption can not be sustained for everyone, but overall it works out quite well (for me at least).

Further I notice that some people share quite a bit about themselves on this public forum. Much more than what my anonymous survey is asking for. It is interesting to see these reactions and wonder what they actually mean.

As mentioned before, the survey will continue to be open till the end of this year. The analysis will be published early next year.

You can reach the survey at: Large Format Photography - 2010 Survey (http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=HLMHIF_6639d09b)

With kind regards,

Barend Jan

Gem Singer
3-Dec-2010, 07:29
Barend Jan,

Most new members use their first post(s) to introduce themselves to the forum, ask specific questions about problems they are having, and/or offer to add their expertise to the community.

You, on the other hand, asked for information in the form of a survey. A most unusual way to introduce yourself.

This forum is bombarded with spam on a daily basis. Naturally, myself and a few others were suspicious of your intensions.

I did not mean to insult your integrity. Please accept my apology for doubting your motives.

bjdejong
3-Dec-2010, 07:44
Hi Gem,

Thank you for explaining your previous reactions. I understand where you and maybe some others are coming from; I would have appreciated if it had resulted in a direct question to me instead of drawing conclusions on incomplete information. But anyway, I fully accept your apology.

In case you would like to learn more about who you are communicating with, I guess there is more information about me on the net than I would like. The best place is probably my blog http://infocast.nl.

Nice meeting you in this virtual universe,

With kind regards,

Barend Jan

Scott Davis
3-Dec-2010, 07:46
My biggest problem with the survey is again, the lack of multiple inputs for a given field. I don't use just one film - I have three favorites, each of which has a distinct purpose. I have one specific camera brand that's a favorite, but no one camera - I've got several all-purpose cameras, and a couple dedicated purpose cameras. This goes double for lenses - it depends very much on what I'm shooting subject-wise, and what camera I'm taking out for a stroll. To try and force this into a single selection is a gross over-simplification.

Two23
3-Dec-2010, 16:40
LOL some of you guys! It's not like he was saying he was a Nigerian prince that would give us a new Ebony if we filled in our bank account info. I answered the survey. Mostly, I'm curious what everyone else checked off.

Kent in SD

Matus Kalisky
3-Dec-2010, 17:02
Filled in - and my computer still works :D

But I agree that the survey could have been a bit more ... though out. It would be actually an interesting topic for a forum thread ;) I personally do not miss multiple choices - I miss additional questions that could say more about LF community and could therefore be more interesting to others too.

Jack Dahlgren
3-Dec-2010, 17:26
LOL some of you guys! It's not like he was saying he was a Nigerian prince that would give us a new Ebony if we filled in our bank account info. I answered the survey. Mostly, I'm curious what everyone else checked off.

Kent in SD

You mean I'm not getting a new Ebony?

christopher walrath
3-Dec-2010, 18:54
I did it. What are they gonna steal from me, anywho?

Ole Tjugen
3-Dec-2010, 20:54
Filled it in. I did have problems deciding on some of the answers - favourite camera?? Six or seven different ones, depending on what I'm trying to do. And lenses? If I could answer that, I could sell 90% of my lenses and keep the last ten (lenses, as well as percent). But there are so many things I like with different lenses, and one cannot substitute for another in many cases.

But I agree with not having a multiple choise survey: There are far too many variables, even in my own bag...

GPS
4-Dec-2010, 01:53
Out of pure private interest I have created a short survey on large format photography. The objective of this survey is to get an idea on the current usage of large format cameras.
Barend Jan de Jong

If - out of pure private interest - you want to get an idea about how people use large format cameras read this forum - you will find far more ideas than with your "survey"...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

bjdejong
4-Dec-2010, 02:03
Hi GPS,

You are right. However, a survey adds two aspects, i.e. (1) you get a better idea on the statistics, and (2) the surveys is answered by a larger number of people. Of course, the forum is 1000 times better in getting a view on all the various aspects at play. All these communication tools have their pros and cons.

Cheers,

Barend Jan

GPS
4-Dec-2010, 02:32
Hi GPS,

You are right. However, a survey adds two aspects, i.e. (1) you get a better idea on the statistics, and (2) the surveys is answered by a larger number of people. Of course, the forum is 1000 times better in getting a view on all the various aspects at play. All these communication tools have their pros and cons.

Cheers,

Barend Jan

You're wrong. The forum's community consists of a far greater number of users than those who will answer your "survey". What do you need "statistics" for when "out of pure private interest" you want go get an "idea" how people use a LF camera? If you "need" that statistics why don't you make it yourself from reading the forum? You can have your "statistics" at your heart's desire then...:rolleyes:

GPS
4-Dec-2010, 02:38
The objective of this survey is to get an idea on the current usage of large format cameras.

Take a wild guess! :rolleyes: (a hint: portrait, landscape, architecture, whatever else photography....;) )

GPS
4-Dec-2010, 02:50
Out of pure private interest I have created a short survey on large format photography. The objective of this survey is to get an idea on the current usage of large format cameras. The survey runs from December 1 till December 31, 2010. The data are collected out of private interest; there is no commercial intention behind it. The results will be announced on the http://www.largeformatphotography.info forum and published early 2011 on http://infocast.nl.

If you're interested to know how people use their LF cameras (take a wild guess, anyway...) why don't you just ask them with a simple question here on the forum? You would get the same number of answers as with your "survey" and everyone would see directly the answers - no need to go to some website and wait for your publishing deadline...:rolleyes:

GPS
4-Dec-2010, 02:56

P.S. For the survey I use a free survey facility. This facility is being paid for by some advertisements. I hope that these do not bother you to much.
In farther thinking,
for somebody who "out of pure private interest" "wants to get an idea" how people use their LF cameras your approach seems to be a little bit complicated, don't you think? :rolleyes: Why so complicated when a simple question on the forum would do?;)

bjdejong
4-Dec-2010, 03:17
Hi GPS,

There are indeed multiple ways to achieve the objective, I personally like to use a survey since it is a completely simple and effective way to get for instance a nice list of the brands of camera's that are used, and it calculates even the average numer of pictures that people make. As kind of a first result, I can tell you that reviewing the initial results I am bewildered by the large number of different camera's in use. But as said, there are other means to get these kind of data. I personally think that a web survey is quite convenient; I get the impression that you prefer to use the forum itself.

BTW, I guess it is a good thing that different people have a different interpretation of these things, .. wouldn't we all be making the same pictures if we evaluated these things in the same way?

Cheers,

Barend Jan

GPS
4-Dec-2010, 03:26
In farther thinking,
for somebody who "out of pure private interest" "wants to get an idea" how people use their LF cameras your approach seems to be a little bit complicated, don't you think? :rolleyes: Why so complicated when a simple question on the forum would do?;)

Hi GPS,

There are indeed multiple ways to achieve the objective, I personally like to use a survey since it is a completely simple and effective way to get for instance a nice list of the brands of camera's that are used, and it calculates even the average numer of pictures that people make.

You want to say that because "out of pure private interest" you "want to get an idea" about how people use their LF cameras you want to calculate "even the average number of pictures that people make"?
You try hard, nice boy, but I don't buy this BS of yours...:rolleyes:

Your way to know how people use a LF camera is far too complicated, far too detailed, far too away from a genuine interest however nice guy you try to be...;)

Richard Rau
5-Dec-2010, 00:46
I generally subscribe to Fox Mulder's motto, "trust no one", so I'm with Dr. Singer on this one. Frankly if I want to know what equipment most of you use, I can just click on your profile if you bothered to fill the "what cameras do you use" section in your profile. And personally, I thought the thread "Show off your camera", is probably more entertaining than any survey could ever be. As far as statistics go, the cross-section of users that do fill out the survey, would only reveal an inaccurate percentage of actual users, mainly because of folks that are suspicious of such that aren't going to fill it out, like myself.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=36782&highlight=Show+rig

Heroique
5-Dec-2010, 01:34
...As far as statistics go, the cross-section of users that do fill out the survey, would only reveal an inaccurate percentage of actual users, mainly because of folks that are suspicious of such that aren't going to fill it out, like myself.

One is left w/ the impression of a survey completed by honest, trusting respondents! How disheartening to hear they’re unrepresentative of our entire forum. Well, at least their raw data will be sincere and heartfelt. ;)

About the data tabulation & report writing – I hope it’s skilled & competent. After all, the survey design has already raised some just criticisms, which makes me curious why a measure of general input wasn’t sought here in the first place. That would’ve been an effective way to design an even better survey, eliminate perceived flaws, win more “buy-in” from the community, and in the end, promote greater participation – perhaps even from “suspicious” people who would otherwise keep their distance.

With these lessons in mind, might we offer input about presenting and formatting results? (I think an invitation to us to offer, say, casual input would be very wise, if the survey facility makes it possible to implement any he might accept.) He’s new, but already, I think he understands how willing people here are to help other forum members.

In any case, my sixth sense tells me we’ll be pleasantly surprised – even thankful – when Barend reports results “in early 2011.”

bjdejong
5-Dec-2010, 02:20
Dear Heroique,

Thank you for your reply. I very much welcome suggestions on how to format the results (to the extend possible with limited resources, and based on the answers to open questions).

If you are interested in learning what I have done in the past with two similar surveys: http://infocast.nl/blog/category/survey

With regard to seeking advice beforehand: my expectation is that asking the question on the forum would results in a rather broad spectrum of opinions on what the questions, objectives and means to execute the survey should be. Also, there are, as can be seen from the reactions clear believers and non-believers of these kind of methodologies.

What is going through my mind is, to use the results of the survey to improve further on the quality of it (remove some ambiguity, migrate to more multiple choice and address issues that are noted) and launch it again at some point in the future. However, I know that different people will have a different people on what is an improvement or not. As you may guess, I am very much interested to hear your and other opinions on this.

As you noted well, I very impressed in the whole positive and sharing attitude on this forum. People here seem are maybe opiniated, but are certainly professional and supportive to other people asking questions. I very much like that.

Leaves me, wishing you a nice Sunday,

Cheers,

Barend Jan

bjdejong
23-Dec-2010, 12:41
Dear all,

Just a quick note: the survey is open for completion till New Year's eve.

The survey: Large Format Photography - 2010 Survey (http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=HLMHIF_6639d09b)

With kind regards and enjoy the holidays,

Barend Jan

myoptic
24-Dec-2010, 16:08
fwiw I did the survey, and after reading more of this thread took the time to inspect the HTML code used to transfer the user to the survey page and checked the code elements on the survey page as well.
As someone, actually a couple people, mentioned, there is a tracker involved. Google-analytics to be precise. I could not find any trojan horse or anything similar; it looks like a simple tracker. Could have been malicious, but turns out is just a minor irritant.
The truthers and birthers on this forum are hoarding all the canned goods in case of nuclear war, a battle with evil intentioned aliens, and the impending attacks from dissatisfied farm hands of Mexican persuasion... me, I'm not so fussed, as nothing of great personal import was put into the survey. btw I have added the site to my router as needing permission to be launched... which is just prudent.

msk2193
24-Dec-2010, 19:34
Myoptic,

Many websites, including me, subscribe to Google Analytics to retrieve interesting statistics about who viewed our websites. It is not a maliscious tracker, and if I remember well removes itself sortly after one goes away from the site.

If you have a website or blog, it is an interesting toy to add to your site - at no charge!

myoptic
24-Dec-2010, 21:27
Myoptic, {David}

Many websites, including me, subscribe to Google Analytics to retrieve interesting statistics about who viewed our websites. It is not a maliscious tracker, and if I remember well removes itself sortly after one goes away from the site.

If you have a website or blog, it is an interesting toy to add to your site - at no charge!I have no problem with simple trackers like Google Analytics. I do have a problem with real malware, but that is not an issue here. I like the idea of this survey and am looking forward to the results.

JohnN
25-Dec-2010, 07:43
Six Cookies installed on my computer from his "survey".

Something's amiss.

Wayne
25-Dec-2010, 08:15
In case you have questions, please let me know.

Actually I do have some questions for YOU, if you don't mind:

1. What is your favorite large format camera that you use? (brand and type) - only one please
3. What is the film that is your current favorite? (brand and type) - only one please
4. Do you use for large format most of the time a completely analogue, hybrid or digital workflow?
5. Do you use a digital back on your large format camera? (If yes, please provide brand and type)
8. How many different large format pictures have you taken over the last 12 months? (note: field accepts only a number)

bjdejong
25-Dec-2010, 09:32
Dear Wayne,

Actually I do have some questions for YOU, if you don't mind:

Those are indeed completely fair questions ;)

Ad 1. My favorite large format camera is a Wista 45 SP (although as a Dutchman I should prefer my Cambo SC II of course, but I don't).

Ad 2. My favorite format is 4x5 inch (historically I used my Wista mostly for 6x7cm, since that was the constraint on my enlarger.)

Ad 3. Kodak TMY

Ad 4. Hybrid (Actually I am in the process of starting up the workflow after not having used my Wista for about 15 years)

Ad 5. Nope

Ad 6. Schneider Kreuznach Apo-Symmar 5.6/135 - Difficult question though ...

Ad 7. Portraits, although I find it extremely challenging, but that is where the passion is

Ad 8. Only 2, for test purposes. As said, I am restarting my workflow after a long time being busy with other stuff.

Ad 9. http://infocast.nl

Ad 10. The quality of large format really gets me excited; However, I still haven't made the whole workflow my second nature. That will ahve to be my objective for 2011, i.e. make a large series of nice portraits with my Wista.

Does that help?

Have a nice Christmas, an enjoy capturing life with a camera.

Cheers,

Barend Jan

Leigh
26-Dec-2010, 17:18
As long as it is anonymous I have no problem with it.
Anonymity does not exist online.

When you access any website, they can log your IP address, OS, browser, and various other information.

With some browsers (notably IE) the website can install various tracking code and malware totally without your knowledge.

You best believe any survey site knows every trick in the book to extract the maximum information possible, so they can sell it. That's how they make their money, not by some mini-ads that the visitors ignore.

- Leigh

bjdejong
1-Jan-2011, 03:56
Dear all,

Let me start wishing you all a very creative and healthy 2011.

With the start of the new year, the 2010 survey closed, and I can start to draw up the conclusions. For all of the 196 participants a special thank you, your replies provide a very interesting insight in each others preferences. It will take probably a couple of days to properly summarize the data. As soon as I have done so, I will publish a link to the report on this thread.

With kind regards,

Barend Jan

bjdejong
9-Jan-2011, 09:17
Dear all,

With some delay induced by the Mexican flu, I have published the first part with the data of the survey. You can find it here:

Results Of: The Large Format Photography - 2010 Survey - Part I (http://infocast.nl/blog/2011/1/9/results-of-the-large-format-photography-2010-survey-part-i.html)

Enjoy,

Barend Jan

Vaughn
9-Jan-2011, 09:36
Thanks Barend!

There was a typo -- on film sizes, the last on the list is 7x7 -- probably meant 7x17

msk2193
9-Jan-2011, 09:45
Barend, interesting point to see how many more 4x5's are in use versus all the other sizes. I've gotten hooked on the large 8x0 negatives!

falth j
9-Jan-2011, 10:09
Anonymity does not exist online.

When you access any website, they can log your IP address, OS, browser, and various other information.

With some browsers (notably IE) the website can install various tracking code and malware totally without your knowledge.

You best believe any survey site knows every trick in the book to extract the maximum information possible, so they can sell it. That's how they make their money, not by some mini-ads that the visitors ignore.

- Leigh

FWIW,

I've only 'clicked' on url's to sites and never 'clicked' on anything inside the menus, AND i've received email from sites saying they noticed that I viewed their URL, and would I like more information?

EVERY mouse-click you make is being recorded by someone - somewhere...

The same goes for your cell-phone, everytime you turn it on, you are leaving your 'mark', and your territory is discernible.

MIke Sherck
9-Jan-2011, 10:31
Data wise, that was rather interesting. With all the attention ULF has gotten in the past year or two, 2% usage seems a bit surprising to me. On the other hand, it seems reasonable that it may not be the primary format for at least some of its users. I wonder how the numbers would change if all the formats users photograph with had been recorded? But that's a different survey, I understand... :

Mike

mikebarger
9-Jan-2011, 10:43
Mike it is a tiny sampling, 193 made a format choice on the survey. Considering how many people actually shoot LF, I don't how much of a conclusion you can draw from the data.

I'm guessing everyone here expected 4x5 to be the big dog on the block, but it's pretty hard to tell by how much considering the sampling size.

John NYC
9-Jan-2011, 10:52
Mike it is a tiny sampling, 193 made a format choice on the survey. Considering how many people actually shoot LF, I don't how much of a conclusion you can draw from the data.

I'm guessing everyone here expected 4x5 to be the big dog on the block, but it's pretty hard to tell by how much considering the sampling size.

From a statistical point of view, the sample size is most likely large enough. The problem is the sample population itself was not constructed properly.

And also the questions were probably not sufficiently designed to minimize bias.

But it is still interesting

bjdejong
9-Jan-2011, 11:06
Thanks Barend!

There was a typo -- on film sizes, the last on the list is 7x7 -- probably meant 7x17

Dear Vaughn,

The 7x7 did made me think quite a bit. I am not sure how to draw a proper conclusion other then to mention 7x7, since

If it is a typo, it originated from the anonymous person completing the survey
The person that completed the survey uses wet-plates, ...

This made me to conclude that I cannot assume anything here. Do you agree?

Cheers,

Barend Jan

bjdejong
14-Jan-2011, 15:39
Dear all,

I just posted Part II of the analysis:

Results Of: The Large Format Photography - 2010 Survey - Part II (http://infocast.nl/blog/2011/1/14/results-of-the-large-format-photography-2010-survey-part-ii.html)

Enjoy,

Barend Jan

myoptic
14-Jan-2011, 15:49
An enjoyable read Barend. If nothing else, it is nice to know that I am not totally alone as a 9x12 owner/user. To me the most interesting part is looking at the formats in use, more so than the films in use. FWIW When I used 4x5 twenty years ago, all I shot was Tri-X 320 sheets. Funny how time flies and the changes that come so quickly in the photographic world.
I think this would be as interesting, but you would probably get a bigger sample, over at APUG.

Matus Kalisky
14-Jan-2011, 15:53
Ehm, it is all nice, but some films you listed are not available in sheet format at all. Like Ilford Delta 400.

Also, for the future, some kind of graphical representation would be faster/easier to receive.

bjdejong
14-Jan-2011, 16:01
Hi Matus,

Ad 1. Point taken, I will take Delta 400 out.

Ad 2. I guess it is an art to think through how best to display these data, and sure it can be improved.

Cheers,

BJ

John NYC
14-Jan-2011, 17:35
The B&W film thing is pretty interesting. I know there are flaws from making broad conclusions from these results because of things already mentioned (in fact, I mentioned some of them), but it was six votes for TMY to one vote for TXP in 8x10. Yet, Kodak is keeping TXP and dumping TMY in 8x10. I guess they know something that this survey doesn't reflect. Or maybe they are going to dump it all in 8x10 anyway and just Ilford have it. I would not mind that if it would make Ilford last many, many more years.

Drew Bedo
15-Jan-2011, 06:35
Hello BJ.

Thanks for all the work on this project. Please consider doing it again in a year or two. As people become comfortable with sharing information there will be more participation and a larger sample. The simple tabulation is great. Any graphic addition would be really great.

Look into working this data into an article for View Camera Magazine.

Thanks.

bjdejong
15-Jan-2011, 09:39
Dear Drew,

I am pleased that you enjoy the work I am putting in it. Comments like yours are motivating.

With regard to doing this again in some time, I am certainly willing to consider. I expect that there are quite some changes around the corner, i.e. I am not convinced about the ability of Kodak and Fuji to pursue delivering film on the long run. I am curious learning how this story will evolve.

I do not consider it likely that I will work these data into an article for the View Camera Magazine. I've kind of lost sight of that magazine about 15 years ago, when international delivery to The Netherlands stopped. But if you are someone else is interested to take the initiative, I am very willing to help realizing it as a second author.

With kind regards,

Barend Jan

letchhausen
20-Jan-2011, 11:43
I think doing this survey again soon would get a bigger sampling, December is a busy time and I know I completely missed this. This thread has also heightened awareness of the survey as well. I'm surprised at the low sampling for Tri-X since I know a ton of LF'ers who use that but none spend time on the boards. It is my film of choice though with Acros a close second.

bjdejong
22-Jan-2011, 09:23
Dear all,

I just published the third blog on the survey results on my blog. This time on the types of workflow being used.

Results Of: The Large Format Photography - 2010 Survey - Part III (http://infocast.nl/blog/2011/1/22/results-of-the-large-format-photography-2010-survey-part-iii.html)

Enjoy,

Barend Jan

P.S. It is certainly my intention to repeat this survey. my idea was to do this again at the end of this year in December. Suggestions for questions and improvements to the survey and or analysis are appreciated.