PDA

View Full Version : Tachihara 8"x10"x10

andrea milano
2-Jan-1999, 05:15
Hallo everybody,I'd like to know something about Tachihara 8x10. How does the pa nel,in general value the camera? Yes I know of some pretty violent opinions on t his sort of "entry-level cameras" but in Holland there isn't the wide choice tha t most of the American menbers of the panel enjoy. In particular, I'd like to kn ow, whether the lens panel of the Tachi 8x10 is the same size of Sinar's(couldn' t find this information anywhere). So don't bash me just because I'd like to buy a Tachihara! In this price range, in holland, there isn't anything else! Thanks!

Old Gray Beard
5-Jan-1999, 10:46
Uhoh, I sure hope Triblett doesn't see your post Andrea. He's got many Tachi tales. I better retreat to my closet before he starts lobbing grenades again.

tribby
5-Jan-1999, 11:44
Yes it's me Doc, now you need to go take your medicine cause it's nappy-time and you don't want Nurse Diesel to call the boys in to put you down, do you? Andrea, Let me ask a couple of questions first. Is there any wind in Holland? I seem to remember photos of beatiful old windmills surrounded by lovely flowers in a old postcard at my grammy's house. And the second question is, do you plan to use a loupe? Answer with extreme caution as these are loaded questions. Ok Doc there's the jab, should i finish her?

Old Gray Beard
5-Jan-1999, 12:43
Yep, Triblett, she needs to know what she's getting into. But, Andrea, before Triblett gives you the gory details, have you checked out New York Camera, I think it's in Germany. They may be able to find you something besides a Tachi though I don't see any view cameras on their site. Send them an e-mail and check out http://www.ny-camera.com OK, Triblett, I've locked the bunker door, lob those grenades, yeeehaaa!!!

andrea milano
5-Jan-1999, 16:26
O.K. Folks! I knew I was going to be bashed about the tachihara business so let me have the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth! Let's clear up a misunderstanding here! In Italian (Which is the language of the country where I come from, Italy) the name Andrea is a male name(!) for everybody's information the name comes from the ancient Greek Aner-Andros which means manly, male, masculine so I keep being surpised of all those foregn folks whom address me as mrs.-her-she and so forth! Anyway! Back to more important business! In Holland the market of large format is what it is and there is very little choice when you combine budget problem to availability of these goods. Anyway I might mistake but I'll see. American folks have the fortune of living in the photographic Eldorado of the world, we don't! Here, guys (and dolls!) 8"x10" ain't growing on trees! Tell me about your Kodak cameras and Burke & James , allright! All I have for about $ 1.500 is a Tachiara! Regards! Andrea

Old Gray Beard
5-Jan-1999, 16:43
Oops. Sorry Andrea for misgendering you. Triblett and Old Gray Beard sometimes forget we're foreigners (hee hee hee) when we aren't in the U.S. I'm crawling back to my bunker so Triblett can lob some Tachi tale grenades. but check out that German site above.

tribby
5-Jan-1999, 17:06
Andrea, you sound like a badass, i mean, you'd have to be, growin' up with a girl's name and all. Besides last time i checked holland was never property of the DDR. Do you not have the same freedoms to bomb or shop any place you please? I'm not wastin hand grenades here, just dial the overseas operator and give them the phone number to your favorite American hedonistic supply-hoarding photo store and order away. Of course the shipping will cost more than the camera but we'll still make fun of you underprivelidged Italian hollanders if you try to pay us with that new funny-money. Besides I think you have to have a new camera. Otherwise you'd just call England and get yourself a used walker or phillips.

Brian Ellis
8-Jan-1999, 21:44
Andrea - I don't know what experience, if any, the other people who responded to your inquiry have had with Tachiharas but mine has been an excellent camera and a terrific value for the money. Its well made, sufficiently sturdy for any weather in which I'm likely to be able to photograph, very attractive finish, decent movements and, best of all, very light for an 8x10. The only drawback for some people is that with the double extension model the bellows is on the short side. Tachihara makes a triple extension model but I've never seen it and I assume it is somewhat bulkier and heavier than the double extension version. FWIW, each year a magazine here in the U.S. called "Photo Techniques" publishes a list of what they consider to be the 25 best cameras presently made. The Tachihara was included in this year's list. I mention this, not to suggest that you should buy the camera because it was inlcuded in somebody's list, but because somebody who is supposed to know something about cameras thinks it is a pretty good camera and you certainly don't need to apologize for being interested in it. I became intersted in it after taking a John Sexton workshop and seeing the one used by a terrific photographer who at the time was John's principal assistant. I would take the previous responses with several large grains of salt - one of the responders posts to this group fairly often and seems to be more interested in trying to be clever than in providing objective and accurate information. I don't know the size of Sinar's lens boards so I can't answer that question.

tribby
11-Jan-1999, 12:56
Andrea, I guess i owe you an apology, or rather offer one in hopes that you'll take me seriously. I borrowed a as-new tachi from a friend who wanted to sell it to me. I'll save you from having to read a long story. It felt cheap, light and none of the controls would lock positively. I realize that this could be an isolated incidence but after reading at least a dozen posts on various forums about the same problems with tachi, i hardly think it's coincidence. I live in the central plains of the U.S. and am forced to photograph in extremely windy conditions. There was enough play in the front standard of the tachi to prevent(and I mean outright) focusing in high winds. The front standard fluttered and did not stop even when sheilded and even fluttered in mild winds. I've read other posts on this forum where an individual claimed that everytime he touched his loupe to the ground glass the tachi lost focus. I do not wish to suggest these are true with all Tachiharas. But it was certainly true of the one tachi i ran across. Just make sure you are satisfied with your purchase. As for Brain's comments in the above post...well, i'll be as subjective as i want and i can't help my clever nature. While we're at it... Brain, why don't you tell Andrea why you are trying to sell your magnificent tachi over on the f-stops forum? Why would you want to sell something that Photo Techniques called a top 25 camera?

tribby
11-Jan-1999, 15:12
p.s. If you do get that tachi, do me a favor name her the Andrea Doria. I'll scrimp and buy a $850 Deardorff and name mine the Stockholm and we'll meet...say next july 25, off the Nantucket shoales. Pronti!

Gary Frost
11-Jan-1999, 16:36
After reading all the horror stories on the web regarding the Tachihara (4X5 version) I had wrote it off as a good entry level View camera.... Until I had a chance to handle one at a camera show. I think this camera has gone through several revs as the weight has increased a bit and addition of nylon washers on all the locks. This camera (the 4X5) is currently $550 at Adorama and when one looks at what is available new (even used) at this price, it is an excellent value. Bottom line, I have not had a problem with it locking down tight, GG plane accuracy checked out excellent, and it has been working very well for me. Only stability issue: I think if you have the focus rail racked all the way out, it gets a bit floppy. (no 300mm lenses, my max is 240 and that is no problem) I'm sure the heavier fields are more stable, but mine does not flap in the breeze.

I can't say if the 8X10 will provide the same quality/value as I have no experience. The best you can do is find a place to get your hands on whatever is available and see for yourself. Especially with any used camera you will want to check it for stability and any loose hinge points, etc. (There were plenty of those problems in the older used cameras I handled). If the lens standard flaps in the breeze, clearly there is a problem with the camera. Maybe I will change my mind after 5 years of use, but for now, I am getting great results with my Tachihara.

On the 8X10 lens board, only help I can provide is the Adorama catalog says "Sinar type".

Good luck finding something to suit your needs.

andrea milano
12-Jan-1999, 04:35
Hallo folks! I knew I was going to cause a fuss about this Tachihara business and I am happy with it because in many ways it is the purpose of this forum to give views, re-views and information to expert or not in this tricky business of large -format photpgraphy! However I bought the damn thing and I am happy about it , considering. The camera is of the "double" type, 55cm flange distance makes it a compact and not suitable for Pack-shots or product photography, however you can of course use a shorter lens and get great close-ups. There is a longer "triple" but it was not available at the dealer's and I didn't think I'd need such a long bellows, I'll stick to 300mm, head and shoulders, with that camera. No problems about focussing or "shakes" of the front panel. The back does move a little bit when pressed upon, maybe this will give the focussing problems? We'll see. Anyway I am still interested to contact the company does anybody know their address, are they on the net? Greetings to all of you and yes Triblett, Andrea Doria is the nice name of a sunken ship and Stockolm sunk it ! I don't know about the name, cameras seem to me more of a female disposition therefore I think I'll give her another name.Thank you all for your assistance and good will.

james mickelson
26-Mar-1999, 08:50
And Andrea, if you haven't bought a loupe yet, try a 80 or 90mm enlarging lense. They are very reasonably priced and you don't have to touch them to the GG. You can also check out the focus at the corners a lot better than with the standard loupes. Damn! Watch the grenades there bub! Anyway, I like my $12 enlarging lense much better than my Toyo loupe. And watch that Lunger guy. He's got a knife. James

Jan erala
21-May-1999, 09:14
Hi Andrea. How is you and your tachii? I have owned two tachiis and one 8x10 Linhof technica. If I have to go out with a camera, I`ll take ten times rather the tachi than the technica; you`ll need wheelbarrows for only transporting it.A long bellow will make every 8x10 difficult in windy conditions, the extension with a shorter (eg. 240 mm) lens will make the camera much more compact. I consider Tachihara (and Wista, identical) as a lightweight camera, as so it works very well. Instead of a loupe, use cheap eyeglasses from 1,5 to 2,5 diopters. Both hands will be free for camera adjustments and there is no need to touch the groundglass. This little innovation helped me a lot in camera handling. Have a sturdy summer!