PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite in Feb.

Robert Skeoch
30-Nov-2010, 13:40
I'm sure I'm missing something major in my plans to go to Yosemite in Feb.

Looking for suggestions.

It seems that Sacramento is the best place to fly into from Toronto.... any better suggestions.

Then take the Amtrak to Merced. Again open to suggestions.

Then take the YARK from Merced into the park.

I could rent a car but read you need to know how to use chains and own chains... not something I want to learn on my vacation.

-rob

Eric James
30-Nov-2010, 14:22
They'll likely inquire at the gate about whether or not you have chains, so if you're not willing to use them you shouldn't rent a car. (It sounds as if you know this.) You can get to major Valley destinations on the bus system and you'll see a good deal more if you walk.

Did you mean YARTS? I used to use Amtrak to YARTS to get to the Valley (probably a dozen RTs back in the day) and I was always pleased with their service. It can be very liberating to not have to deal with a car when you're in Yosemite.

Not much help, am I :)

May I suggest you consider a pair of these for your photography footwear:

http://www.xtratufboots.com/products/insulated/Pages/22274g.aspx

They're great on wet rock, surprisingly comfortable for hiking, indispensable for setting up in wet and snowy areas, they dry out quickly by removing the insoles, and the insulated version are very warm; not to mention, they'll have all the ladies swarming to your table in the Mountain Bar Room.

Have a great trip!

Drew Wiley
30-Nov-2010, 14:32
Things differ from year to year, but one motive to rent a car is that the lower hill country below Yosemite can be emerald green in Feb and spectacular in its own right, especially some of the side roads. Sometimes wildflower shows have already begun,
though they generally peak in March. Yosemite Valley might or might not have fresh
snow, so chains might or might not be needed; generally they are not unless you're
coming up from the south entrance.

Jim Graves
30-Nov-2010, 21:59
Nope ... you didn't miss anything major.

Get to the park the easiest way you can (which you've already figured out) and the rest will take care of itself.

There are easily 1000 possible possible photos within walking distance from your lodgings or from the free park shuttle stops.

Jim in Sacramento

John Kasaian
30-Nov-2010, 22:59
Where will you be staying? What kind of photos are you after? Early February or late February? The mountains are unpredictable when it comes to weather. You might have snow in the valley, mud in the valley, or a delightful unseasonably early spring. The waterfalls should just starting to become active and in the foothills outside the park you'll find wildflowers. The best part about February is no crowds! Public transportation in the valley is excellent and there is even bus service to Badger Pass if you're so inclined.
Your choice of entry into the park is fine and if for some reason the all weather highway is closed you can stay on the Amtrak and take the bus in from Fresno(that isn't likely to happen but it is an alternative---just in case!)
Have a great time!

Richard K.
1-Dec-2010, 06:13
Yes, I have a suggestion, Rob. Why not meet me in Death Valley instead? :D
I'll be there Feb. 7 - 11 and then in Joshua Tree, Palm Springs and finally in Scottsdale Feb. 17, 18. |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Robert Skeoch
1-Dec-2010, 08:13
Any women who would swarm me wearing those boots... I don't want to meet.
-rob

Robert Skeoch
1-Dec-2010, 08:15
You guys are talking about sprint in Feb..... I thought it would be the dead of winter.
If you don't have winter in Feb., when is winter in Yosemite?

-rs

Robert Skeoch
1-Dec-2010, 08:16
It's not a bad idea Rich.

-rs

Michael Roberts
1-Dec-2010, 08:41
You guys are talking about sprint in Feb..... I thought it would be the dead of winter.

-rs

Info on Yosemite in Winter:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=56414&highlight=yosemite

Vaughn
1-Dec-2010, 08:45
The weather in late February can be quite good. (January is a much more sketchier month to try to photograph in.) I have been there for many late Februaries without the need to put chains on the car. It can also be quite "interesting". If one has the time to wait out a storm for a couple days, the light in the aftermath of a storm is wonderful.

The floor of the Valley is only 4000' in elevation -- not too high. I have given workshops in the Valley the past two Aprils and have had a light snow falls during the week -- but also some warm weather.

Climate is something you have -- weather is something you get! Personally, in your situation, I would check the weather, and if it looks to be in between storms and the Park Service says the roads are clear, I would rent a car and drive into the Valley. As someone mentioned, the foothills are beautiful, too (take some of the small roads across the central valley and the foothills such as Keyes Road and go through Hornitos, for example).

Enjoy your trip to Yosemite! If the weather turns nasty in the Valley, go to the AA Gallery and ask to see some of the portfolios of their represented artists. I have some carbon prints and platinum prints there. The AA Gallery downsized their staff recently -- letting go their curator who has worked there for about 20 years -- so I do not know how easy it is to see the portfolios now. Really too bad -- they lost a treasure trove of knowledge in letting Mr. Glenn Crosby go.

Vaughn

Drew Wiley
1-Dec-2010, 10:17
Robert- we're normally used to a dry season and a wet season, Spring being wetter
with more snowfall. But things have been different lately. And Yosemite Valley per se isn't very high in evevation, so classic powdery snows are most likely to occur only in
Dec or Jan when it is colder than normal. The rim of the Valley is a different story due
to the greater elevation, and the peaks beyond higher still. In the canyons below the Park, it is not at all uncommon for wildflowers to begin in Feb, though on a year like this it might be later. Otherwise, thing will be greening up. Tule fog is often present in
the lower evevations, however, as one approaches the San Joaquin Valley. But Yos Valley is in the shade a lot that time of year and can be a little clammy, and the snow, if present, mushy or crunchy. Hard to tell. If one get starved for sunshine it is easy enough to take a bus up to the ski area at Badger, and the Valley rim. There will be plenty to photograph regardless. But rain is also a possibility, so a parka is always
advisable.

Jim Graves
1-Dec-2010, 22:29
Here's a link to Yosemite weather and seasonal information ... a lot of other helpful links on this site also: Link (http://www.yosemite.national-park.com/weather.htm)

John Kasaian
1-Dec-2010, 23:07
I hope you have elected for lodging in Yosemite Valley rather than camping.
In my experience the valley has really humid cold weather in the evenings making winter camping pretty miserable, while winter camping at higher elevations such as Wawona are much more tolerable. Drew probably has more winter experience in Yosemite than I, so I'd be interested in knowing if he has made similar observations.

Marc B.
2-Dec-2010, 04:30
Robert, Since your trip to Yosemite is in February, I do hope it will be the last two weeks of February, and that you will be afforded the chance to capture the "fire-fall" effect from Horsetail Falls, on El Capitan.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/firewaterfall.asp

Drew Wiley
2-Dec-2010, 11:07
I'd agree, John. The tent-cabins in Camp Curry etc can be pretty clammy, but if one
has a good goosedown bag along, no worse than camping in general. Higher up at
Wawona there tends to be a lot more sun, but it can be a long drive to the Valley if
a fresh snowstorm hits the road. Doubt I'll ever camp in the Valley again, because even
though I've sold my house near the south entrance, I have a nephew with a house just outside Mariposa. I might start that direction again next winter, after I've qualified
for my "Golden Geezer" Natl park pass (just a year to go!). I'm more of a back country
type anyway when it comes to the Park.

ROL
2-Dec-2010, 11:58

-rs

Meaning - when is there snow? Some years, not at all on the Valley Floor. I believe on the occasion of Edward Weston's first trip to Yosemite in winter snow finally appeared the night of his arrival, after much fretting by his host, Adams.

Snow can come and go throughout winter. You can see for yourself with the following nowcast (http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/webcams), and the NWS forecast (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=hnx&smap=1&textField1=37.74528&textField2=-119.59722), paying particular attention to the forecast discussion and snow levels. A snow level of 4500 feet elevation and a "juicy" storm with either a cold or occluded front pretty much assures snowfall in the Valley - which due to the fact that its southern half sees no direct sun in the heart of Winter, remains colder and pools the air. Existing snow on the Floor will provide a better base for new snow as well. But then there is wet snow and dry snow - a different story. And yes, I am a meteorologist, although I don't play one on TV. BTW, during an El Niņo year (this not being one) last century, I actually won the annual Nordic Holiday Ski Race, held on the Valley Floor in March. These (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/Yosemite-Winter/) were taken in December - April, at various elevations.

My favorite time is December, when off hours can be whiled away at the seasonally decorated Ahwahnee Hotel, and hours of weather too bad or too good to shoot can be mitigated by "Print Viewing" in the back room at the AA Gallery by the curator. Too bad about Glenn.:(

Vaughn
2-Dec-2010, 12:20
If you want to see how Wednesday looked in the Valley...

http://halfdome.net/cams/ahw_movie_01.php

Lon Overacker
3-Dec-2010, 14:00
Robert,

I don't remember if you mentioned this in this thread yet, but can I assume you're bringing your "big" camera? If you are, I would highly recommend renting a vehicle - and it might as well be an SUV type with 4-wh drive. Someone else mentioned that they haven't had to put chains on in February and I can say from my own personal experience that I have NEVER had to put chains on my vehicle when in the Valley proper and driving in from Merced/Mariposa (highway 140) You will always see people driving around with chains, but most likely they had to put chains on coming in from Highways 120 or 41, which reach much higher elevations, consequently more stringent chain control. Having said that, rent the vehicle, rent chains in Mariposa - but you won't use them. In the event that you do, and it is winter and it is possible, there are plenty of folks around who do chain installation and removal for like $20.

The reason for having the vehicle is simple. Freedom. Yes, the transportation is pretty good to and from Yosemite and in the valley proper. But you very much constrained to the schedule and route. I don't believe there are bus stops around the entire Valley loop. It's most in the area of Yosemite lodge, Yosemite Village, Ahwahnee, Curry Village and Happy Isles. (Of course that's a lifetime if you've never been....) There may be transport to locations like El Cap Meadow, Valley View, Bridal Veil falls and Tunnel view, but I'm not sure about that.

Lugging your gear AND your traveling suitcase, winter gear, boots, etc. etc. I find it hard to imagine lugging all that stuff on trains and buses... :-) But then I'm a lazy American, and we just love our cars.

Lodging. If you can get lodging in Yosemite Lodge or Curry Village that would be great, The heated cabins at Curry are reasonable, but far from luxurious. The "tent cabins" are exactly that. Canvas tents on a wooden floor with cots.

If you can't get reservations in the valley, the closest lodging is in El Portal at the Yosemite View Lodge. It's highly recommended. I got a room last winter for $110 if I recall. This lodge is just about 2 miles or so from the Arch Rock entrance to the Yosemite on highway 140. Next is the Cedar Lodge, a few miles further away and slightly cheaper. Nice place. Next in Line is Mariposa where you have many more lodging options from dirt cheap to high-end. It's about a 45 min drive to the valley.

Weather. As others have mentioned, it's completely and predictably UNPREDICTABLE. If there's no cold front moving through, it could be gray and dirty. A clearing storm, a winter wonderland. It's never a bad time in Yosemite (well, after Memorial and before Labor day...) but it's a crapshoot what kind of conditions you'll get when having to schedule something so far in advance.

I will also echo and HIGHLY recommend the 140 drive and the Merced River Canyon. You could be photographing vibrant spring mossy greens and even California Poppies in the canyon and 30 minutes later be photographing snow laced black oaks in the valley.

The best part of it all is that you're going. Have a great time and best of luck with the travels.

Lon

Preston
3-Dec-2010, 15:00
I agree with Lon all the way round except for one point, which I'll ge to in a minute.

You will want your freedom to shoot wherever and whenever you desire. When I was climbing a lot in the valley, hauling gear around on the shuttles was a pain, and the schedules were not conducive to early starts (or late returns).

One thing I will mention that is a little contrary to Lon's experience regards chains on the Valley floor. I have been there a couple of times in deep winter and the roads were like an ice rink, especially on the shaded south side. Even though chains were not 'officially' required, I'm glad I stopped to install them.

Have fun, and be safe!

--P

Lon Overacker
3-Dec-2010, 15:09
Preston is absolutely correct. If you're not familiar driving in snow and especially icy conditions you should do the safe thing.

It's true I've never used chains in the valley, but I also drove like a baby. I've seen more than one rollover or cars that have slid off the road. Just this last January a late model suv had slid off the road and would have gone down the embankment had they not been saved by a very large Ponderosa. And this was on a straight-away; probably driving too fast and then tried to avoid a coyote or something. Fortunately the couple was ok - can't say that about the car though. I Caught up with the wife a 1/4 mile down the road walking. Asked her if she needed a lift and she said no thank you. CLEARLY she was walking off in a huff. I can just here the "I told you so!" "Honey, You're driving too fast, slow down!" Obviously he was a photographer.

Be careful out there.

tgtaylor
3-Dec-2010, 20:00
I'll chime in with a couple of observations:

1. It use to be that the park never made you put on chains unless they were truly necessary and then they would man a roadblock and wouldn't let you pass until you had installed chains. In recent years they seemed to have changed that policy (or behavior) and now require chains even when they are not really necessary. On top of that they no longer set-up a roadblock to prevent you from proceeding without chains. Instead, they will hide in the dark and when they see that you don't have chains on, run up behind you with their red lights flashing to give you a ticket. Two years back me and a friend arrived in the park via 120 just after sundown with a light snow falling. The road conditions at the time didn't require chains and there wasn't any roadblock at the entrance station to make you install chains before proceeding as in past years. Luckily the ranger and I recognized each other and we got off with a warning with the ranger actually helping up install the chains (RV). The second ranger that pulled up wasn't as impressed and we would have been issued a ticket if she was the first one to stop us.

2. In my opinion, the best time to be in the valley for winter photography is immediately after a major storm so i would recommend trying to time it as such if you can. If you do you definitely will need chains.

3. You can tent camp for $5 a night at Camp 4 which is directly across the road from the Yosemite Lodge and still have access to all the amenities of staying at the lodge: restaurant, coffee shop, movie theatre, bar, grill, Internet access, etc. There is always plenty of room at Camp 4 during the winter months. Free showers are located at Camp Curry where at 3/4am you will see the largest bears in the Sierra.

Have a great trip and Happy Holidays,

Thomas

Drew Wiley
3-Dec-2010, 21:28
Tom - are they the largest bears in the Sierra because there's one less camper in
each instance?

tgtaylor
4-Dec-2010, 09:11
Actually your best chances to see bears at Camp Curry are during the summer and fall when they are not hibernating.

When I first started to go to Yosemite years ago I wasn't into photography and went just for hiking. I'd leave straight from work on a Friday afternoon and around 3/4am on Monday shower in Camp Curry and drive straight to work. The first time I left my glasses in the car and right near the office a large bear walked right in front of me without stopping and about an arm or so length away with his head cocked sidways to me and his mouth slightly open. On all fours he was about as tall as me and being totally unexpected scarred the crap out of me! So I went back to the car and put my glasses on. There were 3 equally large bears patroling the walkways between the tents like cops walking their beat.

scorpio516
15-Dec-2010, 22:17
November 19-20 I was down there. Chains were required from the 120 entrance down to the El Portal entrance (that was first time I took the low entrance/exit).
There was about 6" of snow on the valley floor Friday morning. An additional 18" fell in the following 18 hours. Upper Pines had quite a few open spots too. Lots of open tents in Curry Village.

It also snowed when we were down the week before memorial day (late May).

John Kasaian
15-Dec-2010, 23:00
The largest bears I've seen in the Sierras were near Mammoth, CA. I've heard that Banner Peak has some huge ones. Since they took out the garbage pits the average Yosemite black bears have been looking a bit on the dinky side IMHO. The rangers used to trap troublemakers in a bear chariot(a length of steel culvert on wheels) and release them at Granite Creek (outside the park) where deer hunters would camp. Apparently there was less red tape for the rangers if a deer hunter killed them in the act of depredation. One of the funniest sights you'll ever see is a bear feasting on an ice chest full of canned beer.

Drew Wiley
16-Dec-2010, 10:37
John - I doubt they'd dump bears around Granite Creek - nearly the entire drainage is under Ansel Adams Wilderness jurisdiction. I have heard of them dumping rogue bears
up in Shasta Natl Forest land, where the bear hunters sometimes complain about the
flavor of the meat! Having taken hundreds of trips during my life into Sierra backcountry I have never had anything even close to a bear incident. Only once as a
kid car camping at Tuolumne did we have a nusiance bear, which licked my sister in the face as she was sleeping. She let out a scream and went running one direction,
the bear ran off the other direction, stepped on me, and off into the distance accidentally knocking over garbage cans. Friends who hike in the Hetch Hetchy drainage claim bears have been dumped there, or at least the local bear culture has become pesky. The Granite Creek drainage per se is just south of the park, ringed by the Clark Range, with the rugged West side of the Ritter Range visible across the gorge of the North Fork of the San Joaquin canyon. I know the area very well.

Keith S. Walklet
16-Dec-2010, 11:54
February weather in Yosemite Valley can be mild or wintery. I've taught classes there every February for years, and find from my own experience there seems to be about a 20% chance of fresh snow. This year, as predicted, has proven to be both wet and cold, so I am optimistic that conditions will be wintry for the two classes mid-month.

So why bother with February if snow isn't guaranteed? The quality of light is exceptional, regardless. If snow is coupled with that special light, it is extraordinary. The most well-known example is the light that backlights Horsetail Fall, which is just one example of the potential convergence of conditions, but it the low angle of the light all day and the juxtaposition of warm and cool tones throughout the park is what makes it really exciting.

A mathematical extrapolation of the 20% chance of snow estimate could lead one to the conclusion that given 28 days in the month, on average, roughly 6 six will include fresh snow. To maximize the chance you'd overlap with a snow day means a stay of three weeks. Twist my arm! Besides, with all the other subjects surrounding the park (wildflowers, emerald hills) mentioned in earlier posts, it wouldn't be difficult to stay busy while waiting for storms to blow in, if that's what you're looking for.

I always suggest to the students that they stay and extra couple of days beyond the class to increase the chance that they'll have ideal conditions.

As for getting around, I favor the mobility of my 4wd to travel throughout the valley, and the park, but if one is moving at a slow, contemplative pace, there is plenty to be had in the east end of the valley where lodging is situated. If you find a need to head west without a car, you might consider the services of a guide, available through AAG, etc.

BTW, last I was aware, bears trapped within Yosemite are released within the boundaries of the park as far from populated areas as they can be taken.

Happy trails!

Vaughn
30-Dec-2010, 20:12
Heads up -- Hwy 140 into Yosemite is closed for perhaps 24 hours (from 12-30-10). Rockfall.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2010/12/rockfall-closes-highway-140-into-yosemite-national-park.html

John Kasaian
30-Dec-2010, 21:38
John - I doubt they'd dump bears around Granite Creek - nearly the entire drainage is under Ansel Adams Wilderness jurisdiction. I have heard of them dumping rogue bears
up in Shasta Natl Forest land, where the bear hunters sometimes complain about the
flavor of the meat! Having taken hundreds of trips during my life into Sierra backcountry I have never had anything even close to a bear incident. Only once as a
kid car camping at Tuolumne did we have a nusiance bear, which licked my sister in the face as she was sleeping. She let out a scream and went running one direction,
the bear ran off the other direction, stepped on me, and off into the distance accidentally knocking over garbage cans. Friends who hike in the Hetch Hetchy drainage claim bears have been dumped there, or at least the local bear culture has become pesky. The Granite Creek drainage per se is just south of the park, ringed by the Clark Range, with the rugged West side of the Ritter Range visible across the gorge of the North Fork of the San Joaquin canyon. I know the area very well.

I recollect that I first heard this story back in the 60's at a ranger led campfire program in Yosemite Valley,long before the Ansel Adams Wilderness was established. I do know the beer drinking bear was savoring his brewskies in the late 80's---I prudently did't ask him where he came from.;)

Preston
1-Jan-2011, 10:37
Hwy 140, where the rockfall occurred on Thursday, is now open to traffic.

Happy shooting if you head that way.

Happy New Year!

--P

Drew Wiley
1-Jan-2011, 18:01
John - back to your bear tale. I spent quite a bit of my childhood in the Granite Creek drainage. Bears were never an issue, even in the campgrounds. Back then
the road was really rough and it would have been at least a 4 hr drive from Yos
Valley - hardly something anyone realistically pulling a trailer with a bear in it! However, a couple years ago I had a friendly little marmot attempt to chew into my backpack back that way, and that ended our friendship! Hope you are
having a pleasant holiday. I'm recovering from a cold, so have stayed home except
for afternoon excursions with the camera. Very cold and wet today, so a good day
for the dkrm.