PDA

View Full Version : Latest Table Top Processing Equipment For 4x5...............

John Fink Jr.
30-Nov-2010, 08:39
Hello To All,

I am new to LF so please forgive my very basic questions.
I am looking for the easiest way to process my 4x5 film sheets without a darkroom set-up. I don't have the space for another darkroom set up right now and plan to scan my 4x5 negatives after processing them.

From what I read, JOBO no longer makes their smaller cpe-2 units.
What options are the best to consider at this time? I am starting from scratch.

Thank you to all in advance.

John

Michael Gordon
30-Nov-2010, 10:21
I believe that my daylight development process is pretty simple. All the details are contained in this nifty little video (http://michaelegordon.wordpress.com/2009/11/05/how-to-video-daylight-sheet-film-4x5-development-2/) I made. Good luck!

banjo
30-Nov-2010, 11:29
hay
I use a PHOTO-THERM PROCESSOR its works great
& is not all that big

banjo

Jon Shiu
30-Nov-2010, 11:39
There is a plastic insert for the plastic daylight 3 roll film Paterson tanks that holds six sheets and agitated by inversion. It is available on ebay.

Jon

Bob Salomon
30-Nov-2010, 12:02
The Combi-Plan T system only requires loading the film in the dark. All other steps are carried out in room light and the space required would be smaller then a changing bag for a dark area. And the tank for the Combi-Plan becomes a forced film washer when you connect a hose to the bottom Light tight Hose Connector.

dasBlute
30-Nov-2010, 13:23
I'll pitch in for a uniroller motor base and a jobo 3010 expert tank. The motor is cheap, easy to find. The tank will cost you [$200 +], but the pair are utterly bombproof and can do 10 4x5s or 5 5x7s (which I need).

John Fink Jr.
30-Nov-2010, 15:36
Thank you to all. I very much appreciate it!

Best,
John

Lachlan 717
30-Nov-2010, 15:43
Get a second hand Jobo.

Just do the diligence on what to look for/ask before you buy.

Figure in somewhere over US$350 for one.

John Fink Jr.
30-Nov-2010, 16:04
Just my luck, the Jobo expert 3010 tank has been discontinued.
Some on ebay, but what else. If it's the most popular tank out there, why discontinue it?

domaz
30-Nov-2010, 16:17
You don't need the expert tank. The Expert Tank won't work with a CPE-2 anyways (which is the smallest, cheapest Jobo unit). You want a 2500 series tank with 2509N reel. It's all been discontinued but still findable at some retail outlets and of course on everyone's favorite auction site.

Brian C. Miller
30-Nov-2010, 16:31
It was discontinued because Jobo went out of business. Jobo also made a sheet film reel, with tanks for both one and two reels. There are still bits and pieces in inventory. Email Glazer's Camera (http://www.glazerscamera.com/) and see what they have in stock, as they might still have some of the reel and tank system components.

Currently there isn't that much that is new.

Bruce Watson
30-Nov-2010, 16:34
If it's the most popular tank out there, why discontinue it?

Jobo died. Due to lack of sales. Where were you when they needed you?

Sorry -- couldn't resist. In this era of conspiracy theories, sometimes you have to turn it around and look at it from the other side.

IanMazursky
30-Nov-2010, 17:21
I second the Phototherm processors. I had one for 6 years but recently sold it (replaced with a Jobo ATL 2200 because i needed to process 8x10 and 12x20).
The PT processors are fantastic, support is also still available and they are really nice people.
Its a basic set it and forget it system. Load the chemistry then the film in the tube (darkroom or box needed), pop it on the processor, select your process and press start.
Easy as pie! It even beeps loudly when done. The only detractor i found was the lack of support for any film larger then 4x5.

Sirius Glass
30-Nov-2010, 17:35
I use a used Jobo CPP 2 and a new Jobo 3010 Expert Tank.

Steve

John Fink Jr.
30-Nov-2010, 21:12
Ok, how about this.
I believe I can get a Jobo Multi-Tank 2 W/Magnet Base and the Jobo 4x5 Film Reel.
The way I understand it, that reel will fit that tank?

The question then is, will that tank work on an "agitator" base like the one mentioned in Michael's video?

Brian C. Miller
30-Nov-2010, 22:24
That sounds right. I have the MultiTank 5, which accepts two 2509N reels. The 2509N reels are the ones with two black "wings" which help distribute the chemistry. (If the tank is the right one, there will be a note on it about how much chemistry it takes for a 2509 reel)

It will work just find on a non-Jobo agitator base.

Rayt
30-Nov-2010, 23:17
I also use the 2500 series and develop 6 sheets at a time. I have a manual roller base and used to turn the tank by hand but that causes to much of a jerky motion so a battery powered toy car with grippy fat wheels now power the Jobo! I also bought the ebay one that holds 6 sheets in a Paterson 3 reel tank but the outer two sheets don't like to to stay on. I just got a Paterson Orbital for 5x7.

Brian Ellis
30-Nov-2010, 23:40
BTZS tubes, sold at www.viewcamerastore.com or sometimes available used on ebay. Everything is done in light once the tubes are loaded, takes very little chemistry (1-2 ounce of developer per tube) unlike Jobo, you can process different sheets for different times in the same run (unlike Jobo), takes up less space than Jobo, no mechanical moving parts to break (unlike Jobo), a very nice system especially for someone who doesn't have a permanent darkroom.

John Fink Jr.
3-Dec-2010, 09:33
I just wanted to thank everyone who helped with my inquiries.

Best Regards,
John

rdenney
3-Dec-2010, 13:18
I'm just a little way ahead of you on the same path, so here's a summary of what I have learned:

Rather than using a processing machine, which requires more of a "table" than the word suggests, I went with using a daylight tank that would hold sheet film. The only thing the processor provides that isn't just as easy with a timer and a row of beakers of chemistry is temperature control, and with black-and-white that's easy enough to do manually.

For tanks suitable for daylight processing, here are the options, in increasing order of usual cost:

0. Yankee daylight tank. I numbered this zero for a reason. I'll just say that I tried one long ago--once. The tank cannot be inverted and there is no effective means of agitation.

1. Paterson tank with a sheet-film insert. The insert is new on the market and as yet without a body of testimonials (for or against), but it looks promising, especially if you already have a tall Paterson tank. Inversion agitation only.

2. Combiplan. The only complaint I've ever heard about these is slow chemistry filling and emptying, which can be worked around. Agitation by inversion.

3. BTZS tubes. These come with a tray of water for rolling the tubes (one tube per sheet, or perhaps two sheets--I could not determine that from my research). The tubes float in the water, and you spin them continuously. Then, you remove the cap and drop them into a tray of stop-bath. Dim light is required for that step. I rejected this option particularly because of the amount of table top required, which exceeds what I have available.

3. Jobo 2500-series tank with 2509n reel. There have been some who have complained of uneven development, but no pattern of use that suggests the culprit that I've been able to discern. Many have used it with complete success, for rotary processing, stand agitation, and inversion agitation. It is also the tank needed for the appropriate Jobo processors, so if you want to keep that door open, this is the way to go. For inversion agitation, bulk up--it will require 1500ml per reel, and each reel holds six sheets. It will be heavy. I bought the #2551 tank, which holds two reels and has the non-cogged top. For use in a processor, get one with a cogged lid (#2553 for the two-reel tank, as I recall). Both are also known as the "multitank 5", because it holds five reels for 35mm film. There is also a smaller tank which will hold only one 2509n reel--the #2521 and #2523, as I recall. When used horizontally and agitated using something like a Uniroller, it requires only about a third as much chemistry (as long as the developer is not too dilute for that quantity). It can also be rolled manually on a Jobo manual roller or on casters/skate wheels screwed to a board.

4. Jobo 3000-series "expert" tank. Clearly the best of the bunch, but far more expensive (several hundred versus perhaps $150 for the 2551 and reel). Each sheet is slid into its own tube in the tank. The tank is very wide (too wide for a processor), but does not require a lot of chemistry when used in a horizontal roller. The most common #3010 tank holds ten sheets. This can also be used in a processor, but a more expensive model.

Jobo's production seems to be pretty spotty, and finding these new isn't easy. I've seen new-old-stock here and there. I bought mine used and seem to have survived the experience.

Rick "synthesis not experience" Denney

Scotty230358
3-Dec-2010, 13:39
As I prefer hand agitation and, sometimes, semi stand development I favour the 2500 series tank and 2509N reel. I splashed out on a loading base to make things quicker. I load my tanks in a film changing tent and in warm weather need to get it done quickly before my hands start to sweat.

For rotary processing (say with Rodinal when the occasion calls for it) I use an expert 3006 and a 1509 manual roller base.

Greg Blank
3-Dec-2010, 14:14
I have heard, that Jobo will continue making the Expert series drums, not sure when that may occur perhaps into the new year.

I know that for now Omega Brandess has numbers of the 1500 roll film reels and some of the 4x5 tanks and reels. We do not currently have the Expert drums.

Jobo died. Due to lack of sales. Where were you when they needed you?

Sorry -- couldn't resist. In this era of conspiracy theories, sometimes you have to turn it around and look at it from the other side.

ac12
4-Dec-2010, 20:18
Add the Unicolor print drum to your list of options.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/

Sirius Glass
5-Dec-2010, 06:27
I have heard, that Jobo will continue making the Expert series drums, not sure when that may occur perhaps into the new year.

I know that for now Omega Brandess has numbers of the 1500 roll film reels and some of the 4x5 tanks and reels. We do not currently have the Expert drums.

FreeStyle in Los Angeles still has the Jobo 3010 Expert Drum in stock. I bought one there a few months ago. Also check with joboman@aol.com

Steve

falth j
5-Dec-2010, 07:18
Well now, an observation from a seventy something, newbie.

A couple of month's ago, I purchased a jobo atl 2300, scrounged around for an expensive jobo expert drum, a tempering valve, plumbing, filters, and an electrical outlet.

Now, when I go to buy the chemicals for E-6 processing, I'm finding that kodak has discontinued their 5 liter, six bath chemicals, and I'm seeing people not happy with the three bath chemicals and various issues. :confused:

Not only, for a new user anyway, is it hard to find the chemistry, but with both E-6 and C-41 processes, many companies will not ship, and require instore purchases, or if they ship, the costs are expensive.

I seem to have gotten into film at the wrong time at least what seems to be for chemical availability? :(

Sirius Glass
5-Dec-2010, 08:43
Check with FreeStyle. They sell both E-6 and C-41. The number of chemicals and the volumes, I am not sure.

Steve

tgtaylor
5-Dec-2010, 10:22
A quick observation on the uneven development experienced with Jobo tanks mentioned above.

If process by the hand inversion method, make certain that they chemistry level is flush with the very top of the spigot. If there is space then the level of the fluid in the tank may be lower than that of the spigot. In determining minimum volume for processing, I always use the greater of that recommended by Kodak or by Jobo which the caveat that the end volume must be flush with the top of the spigot for inversion.

Happy Holidays,

Thomas

Sirius Glass
5-Dec-2010, 11:24
A quick observation on the uneven development experienced with Jobo tanks mentioned above.

Nope. Never a problem if one is using a Jobo processor.

Now if you are rolling the tanks around on the floor or hand inverting, :eek: you are on your own.

Steve