PDA

View Full Version : Advice on printer for travel project, Epson 1400?

oddshot
29-Nov-2010, 17:00
Hi All,

Just signed up here to ask a question about which budget printer might suit my needs for an upcoming photo project.

I will driving to Central America in January in my old VW Van and will be documenting/collecting images along the way and while there for 6 months, before returning and doing a gallery show next August.

I need a printer that I can set up there to make prints for the folks that will be my subjects, an exchange... family portraits in exchange for them allowing images of themselves and their lives. I would like these to be decent quality and decent sized prints (probably color), something that these folks are not likely to be able to afford.

I will be having an apartment with a workspace and either taking a small desktop or laptop to print from.

My question is: What printer might work well given the above?

I am drawn to the $169 Epson R1400 and refill carts from Inkjetmall.com for the over all cost, but I am uncertain if the print quality will be good enough for what I hope to accomplish.

From this post I hope to learn what the general impression of the print quality on the R1400 is from those that use them frequently, as well as, any other printer suggestions that I might consider (around $200 is my budget for the printer). AND another helpful information forum members might be able to pass along.

I might note that, if I do go with the 1400 (or the R1900 if I can find a good quality ink refill system for it), I would be converting it to a K6/K7 B/W ink system when I return... provided it survives the trip. I am learning that for B/W portraiture, this is hard to beat for the price.

Thanks for any advice!

oddshot
29-Nov-2010, 17:34
UPDATE:

Just found a barely used Epson R2400 on Craigslist for $175... given my previous post, might that be a good option?

Thanks again for any replies.