PDA

View Full Version : ultra large groundglass question

alex from holland
28-Nov-2010, 08:33
Hi all,

need some help again.
We are working on a 20 x 20 inch camera for wetplate.
On my studiocamera's i just take off the groundglass and insert the wet plate holder.
I would prefer to leave it on the camera. I want to keep the glass of the ground....
As the plateholder will be to thick for a springback we need an other solution.

Have have you solved that problem ?

Alex

GPS
28-Nov-2010, 08:48
Make the plate holder with a pocket (groove) where you can insert the ground glass after taking it off the camera back.

alex from holland
29-Nov-2010, 01:27
GPS,

thanks for the idea, but won't work

groundglas of the camera ( on the ground ?), holder on, ground glass on, picture taken, ground glass off, holder off, ground glass on etc.

alex

Struan Gray
29-Nov-2010, 07:21
Some English camera makers were fond of a ground glass frame which folded up and then forward and over the top of the bellows. The arrangement is a bit unwieldy on my 15x12, but it could easily be improved.

There's a picture, engraving here:

http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/librarium/pm.cgi?action=display&login=perkin_studio

GPS
29-Nov-2010, 07:47
GPS,

groundglas of the camera ( on the ground ?), holder on, ground glass on, picture taken, ground glass off, holder off, ground glass on etc.

alex

Well, OK. Instead of having the elephant on the camera like an umbrella, why not make a simple lightweight gg protector (PVC plastic) which will cover the glass after you took it off the camera and then you can put it on the ground, leaning against one of the tripod's leg...?

GPS
29-Nov-2010, 07:53
Alternatively, perhaps you could have a simple apron in between the tripod legs where to put the beast when not useful?
Or just make a hook on the top (or even on the bottom if you don't want it to interfere with the focusing cloth) of the gg and then hook the gg up under the tripod's central column...

GPS
29-Nov-2010, 07:57
Or, have a lightweight gg protector hanging on the central column ready to accept the beast when not in use...

GPS
29-Nov-2010, 08:25

http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/librarium/pm.cgi?action=display&login=perkin_studio

What I would be afraid of is the fact that the 20x20in gg is there in a statically unstable position inducing the camera with possible vibrations from wind. Would need an improvement with lateral legs at its top...

GPS
29-Nov-2010, 08:39
But the best I would do in your case is the combination of the methods - to put a hook on the gg, hook it up on the central column when putting the film holder on the camera and then putting the gg back to the grooves on the film holder. Nothing will then vibrate when taking the holy pics...;-)

GPS
29-Nov-2010, 09:06
GPS,

alex

Not at all. Gg off the camera - directly to the holder (whenever you have it), the holder on, picture taken, holder off, gg on. The same number of operations, because you have to have the holder somewhere anyway when you look at the gg. :cool: