PDA

View Full Version : Aero ektar for 8 x 10 camera?

phoward
28-Nov-2010, 05:32
has anyone tried to use a 7inch aero ektar for an 8 x 10 camera? I'm attracted to f 2.5 but dont know what IC is?

Dan Fromm
28-Nov-2010, 06:02
It was made to cover 4.5" x 4.5" on 5" roll film. 10 lp/mm in the corners wide open. If that isn't enough information for you, get one and try it out on 8x10.

There's a 12"/2.5 Aero Ektar that covers 9" x 9" on 10" roll film. Weighs only 12 pounds. That's what you want. Good luck with respect to timed exposures. Low resolution, at least wide open, 25 lp/mm centrally, 10 in the corners. Good enough for contact printing when shot wide open.

Mattk
28-Nov-2010, 07:55
I just put mine on an 8x10 and the image circle is 9". Didn't notice it grow when stopped down. Clearly there will be some vignetting even with no movement, but a 9" circle isn't bad. I will be running some film through mine soon.

mercadov
29-Nov-2010, 20:10
I just put mine on an 8x10 and the image circle is 9". Didn't notice it grow when stopped down. Clearly there will be some vignetting even with no movement, but a 9" circle isn't bad. I will be running some film through mine soon.

Cool! Looking forward to seeing the results

Emmanuel BIGLER
30-Nov-2010, 02:43
has anyone tried to use a 7inch aero ektar for an 8 x 10 camera?

Yes, Henri Gaud in France does it routinely.... but for very special protraits at magnification 1:1, something that should be severely blamed according to classical portrait rules ;)
According to Dan's specifications the diagonal of a 4.5" square is 6.3". Hence the image circle of 6.3" at infinity.
At 1:1 the nominal image circle (at infinity) is roughly doubled -> 12.6" this should cover the 8x10" format with little or no movements.

10 lp/mm in the corners wide open.... when you are lucky enough to get the proper focus, otherwise, it is closer to 5 lp/mm or much less :D ; but 5 lp/mm is what you need for a nice contact print, not much more...

http://trichromie.free.fr/trichromie/index.php?category/Portraits-AeroEktar

ClickAustin
2-Dec-2010, 07:16
It was made to cover 4.5" x 4.5" on 5" roll film. 10 lp/mm in the corners wide open. If that isn't enough information for you, get one and try it out on 8x10.

There's a 12"/2.5 Aero Ektar that covers 9" x 9" on 10" roll film. Weighs only 12 pounds. That's what you want. Good luck with respect to timed exposures. Low resolution, at least wide open, 25 lp/mm centrally, 10 in the corners. Good enough for contact printing when shot wide open.
I have a 12" 2.5 still in the night shutter casing. Any tips on how to disassemble?

markcornelison
3-Jun-2021, 14:54

Did you ever make a photo with that combination?

Mark

Tracy Storer
3-Jun-2021, 15:04
Mark, removing the cells is not hard once you loosen the little toothed cam on each cell that prevents counterclockwise rotation.
Once you have the cells out, then what? I am a hobby machinist and intend to make a new barrel for mine with a slot for waterhouse stops (eventually), it will still be a heavy lens.

Did you ever make a photo with that combination?

Mark