PDA

View Full Version : 8 x 10 flatbeds

peter ramm
27-Nov-2010, 16:25
While ago I bought an Epson 750 and have been making 8 x 10 dry scans just to get a feel for what is in the neg. Quick and dirty, no fluid or AN glass. Seems to work OK for that so now I want to try to make some actual scans using wet mounting.

Cusory search of posts disappoints. Looks as if we are not supposed to wet mount 8 x 10 because the scanner is too small. Fluid seepage if I mount directly to the glass, wrong lens used, etc. Am I well and truly scuppered with this thing or does anyone have practical advice that will save the day?

Gem Singer
27-Nov-2010, 16:48
The glass wet scan tray is slightly small for 8x10.

I have been placing the 8x10 B&W negatives directly on the glass of my V750, emulsion side down. Then placing a piece of anti-Newton glass, frosted side down, on top to hold the film flat.

I tell Epson scan where the negative is located. So far, the scanner seems to be capable of focusing sharply on the glass platen for 8x10 negatives.

peter ramm
28-Nov-2010, 15:56
Thanks, Gem. I'll get some an glass and see how it goes. At some point, I will have to weaken and get a drum.

Peter

sergiob
29-Nov-2010, 13:54
I do the same without the top glass, because I don't have it yet.

I use ether and the 8x10 film sticks beautifully to the glass. The catch is that if your scans are at too high resolutions then they will take forever and the ether evaporates partially and your scan is ruined.

In 4x5 it has been much more difficult to use this method since there is less vacumm area between the film and the glass and it takes a lot less time proportionally for the ether to evaporate and the film is also more rigid for the area and the corners rise sooner ruining the scan.

Brian Ellis
29-Nov-2010, 18:35
I've scanned many 8x10 b&w negatives on an Epson 4990 (predecessor to the 700/750 and basically the same scanner) without wet mounting and obtained good results. I don't use any anti-newton ring glass, the top of the scanner holds the film flat.

Frank Petronio
29-Nov-2010, 18:57
I tape, with tension, the emulsion side of my film to the rougher side of a larger piece of Anti-Newton glass and then place the glass on top of four pennies on the corners, being sure to clear the calibration area of the scanner. It is platen, film, A-N glass, top of scanner. I tell the software I am using the film holder. Never get Newton's Rings this way and it is easier than wet-mounting, albeit I am sure wet mounting is ultimately better.

Barry Kirsten
29-Nov-2010, 23:30
I use ether and the 8x10 film sticks beautifully to the glass.

Sergio, I would be VERY careful using ether - it has the potential to be explosive! In the early days of anesthesia there were many instances of operating room explosions caused by the combination of ether and static electricity. It was partly this volatility that led to the replacement of ether by chloroform. Ether and its relative carbon tetrachloride (used in dry cleaning fluids) are also toxic to the liver. Both are very nasty.

I have no experience of fluid mounting, but I've read of people using various substances ranging from other solvents to baby oil. It seems to me that as solvents are very unsafe to use, we should be looking for an inert liquid that will do the job, be optically suitable and not harm the negative.

Forgive my $0.02 worth. But I am concerned for people's safety.

Barry.