PDA

View Full Version : What if I don't have enough boxes to take to the lab?

dikaiosune01
23-Nov-2010, 08:29
Admitance:
I am new to Large Format Photography. I have mostly worked with 35mm and have done my own processing; plus the occassional lab with slides.

I've already found a highly recommended lab that is accessible (sort of). However, I don't have enough boxes to take to the lab. I plan on processing some B/W and slides with them. However I won't be emptying the box immediately. Some film will be saved for backup once i get my initial results back. I can't give them my darkslide. They dont' have anywhere to put it either...

I'm looking for a solution to transport my film to the processor. I don't have any extra boxes. ANd darkslides seem infeasible.

gary mulder
23-Nov-2010, 08:38
If we know where you are a member could send you some boxes. I have more than enough. But sending them over half the globe does not seem right.

dikaiosune01
23-Nov-2010, 09:31
Hong Kong
send me a PM if you are so inclined. I would be very greatful. Thanks

Fred L
23-Nov-2010, 10:25
just wondering how hard it would be to make one's own three part boxes ala kodak ? figured some black matt board and black tape. and a sharp exacto knife.

Frank Petronio
23-Nov-2010, 10:27
Ask the lab for boxes.

ROL
23-Nov-2010, 10:32
I'm looking for a solution to transport my film to the processor. I don't have any extra boxes. ANd darkslides seem infeasible.

Nobody really does when starting with LF sheet film. Here are 2 possible solutions:
1) If you print at all, use 8X10 paper boxes with their dark bags, maybe taping the outside of the boxes with dark tape.
2) Buy the cheapest film of the size you are using in the least amount possible from any source and chuck the film just for the boxes.

Bob Kerner
23-Nov-2010, 14:29
This is a pretty common question; I should know I asked it here about a month ago.

There is no short cut. You need boxes. Either ask the lab or offer to pay someone here to mail you some empties; perhaps a posting in the for sale forum.

You might try the local camera shop. Maybe they have some outdated stock that they are going to throw out that you can acquire at a good price.

I'd offer this tip. When you do get that first batch to the lab do NOT leave without your boxes when you pick up the developed film. There's nothing like getting home only to realize you don't have any empties and can unload your film holders.

MIke Sherck
23-Nov-2010, 15:10
There's nothing magic about film boxes: if your lab can't find some empties to give you and no one near you offers to send you any, any cardboard box with a tight-fitting lid will do. Wrap the film in an empty film or photo paper bag or even several layers of black garbage bag, and put it into an inner box and then within an outer box. Then wrap the box in another bag or two, if you're the worrying type, or in aluminum foil. Aluminum foil is an excellent, light-tight material (I once sealed a darkroom with it. Long story, but it worked great.) Keep in mind that from the manufacturer, film is in a non-light-tight inner bag, inside a cardboard box, inside another cardboard box. Cardboard works really, really well.

Try to avoid making the package look, um, suspicious. Lots of idiots out on the street and you don't want the local bomb squad blowing up your film. *Sigh*

Mike

Frank Petronio
23-Nov-2010, 16:15
If you do something out of the ordinary, like package your film in something other than normal film boxes, be sure to label it VERY CLEARLY and in multiple places. Labs do not expect such amateur antics and you can't hold them accountable if you do something weird like that.

John NYC
23-Nov-2010, 17:27
With some labs, you can take in your holders and they will unload them for you while you wait. I've not done this myself, but I've seen people ask for this service and get it.

When I started I had to go to two labs to get an empty box.

Another option is to buy two boxes of the same type of film (like a 10 sheet box of slide film) and then cram the contents of one into the other and use the empty one for transporting your film. This can work with Kodak boxes I think, but with Ilford boxes, being smaller and having 25 sheets in them, this tactic probably won't.

The best option is to get an empty box from somewhere to start... and then as someone said above ALWAYS get your empties back. They are great for filing negs away later also for storage.

Rayt
23-Nov-2010, 18:56
I am a newbie myself and this was the most perplexing question when I started out. For my first 18 sheets I used the dark photo bags that my Fidelity holders came in. When I brought the film to the lab (in Hong Kong) they told me to just bring the loaded double holders and they would unload them for me.

BrianShaw
23-Nov-2010, 19:41
... and then as someone said above ALWAYS get your empties back.

... and before you leave the lab, discretely check to make sure you got all 3 parts of the box. A couple of times I got home and found that they returned only 2/3s of the box. Bummer.

Noah A
23-Nov-2010, 20:08
I recently started shooting 4x5 and was in the same boat.

I bought two 10-sheet boxes of Kodak film. I would have just loaded a whole box of 10 into holders but at first I only had two holders.

Instead, I opened the first box and loaded four sheets into the holders, then put the remaining 6 sheets back into the second 10-sheet box. There's plenty of room in the Kodak 10-sheet boxes for more than ten sheets, even if you leave the film in its original envelopes.

Be sure to tell the lab you want your box back!

As others have said, most labs will take your holders and unload them for you, and some labs may give you a box if they have any sitting around.

gnuyork
27-Nov-2010, 07:32
This one stumped me as well when I first started, which was not that long ago. In fact I didn't even know to use the box. I was unclear as to what to do. I thought maybe I was supposed to send my film holders to the lab. I always thought this type of info was left out of any books or web pages on getting started with LF.

I think I asked here and got the answer, which became obvious, but like you I didn't finish shooting my box before I needed to send the film in. Luckily a friend gave me an empty box.

Frank Petronio
27-Nov-2010, 08:35
Obviously there is an opportunity here, selling boxes for $5 a pop. You gussy them up with anti-static bags or some bullshit to make them more official. Maybe red rubberbands?

Of course you MUST buy this:

http://www.filmtools.com/war.html

rguinter
29-Nov-2010, 10:54
There's nothing magic about film boxes: if your lab can't find some empties to give you and no one near you offers to send you any, any cardboard box with a tight-fitting lid will do. Wrap the film in an empty film or photo paper bag or even several layers of black garbage bag, and put it into an inner box and then within an outer box. Then wrap the box in another bag or two, if you're the worrying type, or in aluminum foil. Aluminum foil is an excellent, light-tight material (I once sealed a darkroom with it. Long story, but it worked great.) Keep in mind that from the manufacturer, film is in a non-light-tight inner bag, inside a cardboard box, inside another cardboard box. Cardboard works really, really well.

Try to avoid making the package look, um, suspicious. Lots of idiots out on the street and you don't want the local bomb squad blowing up your film. *Sigh*

Mike

Mike: Makes me recall an interesting event when I worked at Bell Labs.

Apparently one of the researchers tossed an old cigar box and the night cleaners forgot to pick it up off the floor.

Voila!... the next day on arrival to the lab building, the many thousands of us that worked there were entertained for several hours (from the parking lot of course) while the bomb squad did their thing... complete with bomb sniffing dogs, robots, and x-ray detectors... all to find a stash of old pencils in the box.

So maybe your advice about not using certain types of boxes is sound advice.

Other than that I can second the suggestion about using aluminum foil. Been there done that when I was in a hotel without enough empties to transport exposed film. Worked very well. I simply prefolded the foil with a nice straight edge and then placed my stack of exposed film sheets inside and completed the folds.

Cheers. Bob G.

Robert Crigan
1-Dec-2010, 02:24
Admitance:
I am new to Large Format Photography. I have mostly worked with 35mm and have done my own processing; plus the occassional lab with slides.

I've already found a highly recommended lab that is accessible (sort of). However, I don't have enough boxes to take to the lab. I plan on processing some B/W and slides with them. However I won't be emptying the box immediately. Some film will be saved for backup once i get my initial results back. I can't give them my darkslide. They dont' have anywhere to put it either...

I just give the lab my double-dark slides. Been doing it for years, both 45 and 810. I tried boxing the film but it was extra handling. And one time the lab opened a box of unprocessed film...
The labs I've used have taken care of the dd's. I've never had any damage.
Perhaps you could ask your lab if they'd be happy with doing it that way.
Good luck
Robert

wskmosaic
5-Dec-2010, 12:36
I have a batch of 4X5 boxes up for grabs. If anybody's interested, ask me PM. I'll ship domestically on a pay-it-forward basis (if you don't know what that is, Google it or ask me).
Warren