PDA

View Full Version : AeroEktar Aero-Ektar night shutter

ClickAustin
23-Nov-2010, 07:54
I have recently purchased a 12" 305mm Aero-Ektar mounted in its original aerial night shutter. I have a camera to mount it in but need to know more about the shutter. Specifically a wiring diagram and correct power supply.

The setup is in excellent condition and I want to keep it whole. Otherwise, any information on how to disassemble to remove the lens would be helpful.

jack

Tim Deming
23-Nov-2010, 12:35
I received one of these in the full aerial camera set up a while ago as a gift. I think the giver was happy to get rid of the 50+ lb chunk of metal and glass.

The shutter on mine was mechanical with a winding crank, but film advance was motorized. I ended up taking the lens and shutter out (held by 3 large bolts IIRC), and then completely gutting the shutter, mainly by brute force when needed, to get the weight of the lens down. Now the lens is in the original housing, with only the shutter blades left, which I can use as an aperture. I use it with a big packard shutter. There were lots of little pieces, springs etc in the shutter mechanism that took a while to take apart and remove, but nothing too difficult.

cheers

Tim

Dave_B
29-Nov-2010, 17:26
The Aero-Ektars were made with mildly radioactive glass. Nothing too serious but worth keeping in mind as you play with it. You might want to keep it away from the kids or the grandkids. You can search here for more information.
Cheers,
Dave B.