PDA

View Full Version : Using Creo IQsmart under Snow Leopard

PaulSchneider
22-Nov-2010, 15:41
Hi all,

I have a small question regarding the Creo IQsmart. I have a good offer on a used IQSmart II scanner but it comes only with Oxygen Scan 2.6.3. This versiona apparently only works with Max OS Leopard.

I have Snow Leopard installed though. There's apparently an upgrade to 2.6.4. but it costs more than 1k!

Is there any other way I can run the scanner on my mac than upgrading the software to 2.6.4?

What are my options? I heard there's a possibility to downgrade my os to Leopard but it seems complicated and I fear that my software PS CS5 wouln't work anymore ...

Is shelling out 1k my only option??

Regards

B.S.Kumar
22-Nov-2010, 16:03
Perhaps get a Mac G4 and run Leopard on it? Would be cheaper, plus you'd have a dedicated scanning work station. Transfer files through a network, or USB disks.

Kumar

PaulSchneider
22-Nov-2010, 16:31
yes, that's crazy. A simple software upgrade comes more expensive than an imac or so ... or a g5!

would installing win xp on my machine work?

B.S.Kumar
22-Nov-2010, 16:47
The PC software for the IQSmart is a Lite version, so that might not be a good idea.

Kumar

jammo
25-Nov-2010, 15:36
Hello Paul,

Was Snow Leopard the first system installed when you purchased your Mac (assuming you bought new) or did you update to 10.6? Downgrading should not be a problem IF Leopard ( 10.5.x ) was originally installed.

This is what I did on my MacPro. I had updated to Snow Leopard and oXYgen did not find the profiles. So I bought another drive and installed 10.5 on it.

The only problem I had was that the mac would not start from the 10.5 installer CD. I overcame this problem by running my MacPro in Target Mode, and installing from a firewire attached MacBook.

CS5 runs fine on my 10.5.8.

Let me know if you need more help.

Bruce M. Herman
26-Nov-2010, 13:26
I second the idea of running your IQSmart with a dedicated computer. It could be a G4 or G5 running Tiger or an Intel machine with Leopard. It doesn't have to be a super-fast CPU because the heavy lifting is done on the scanner. You can transfer your files between computers with Firewire or over your LAN. I have an Eversmart Supreme and use a Firewire for transfer. I've found that the scanner does not like to share the firewire resources, so I don't connect the two while the scanner is running.

I have a maintenance contract with Kodak and have been told that Oxygen 2.6.4 is the final version of the software. So if you do purchase Oxygen 2.6.4 to run on Snow Leopard, you'll just put off the need to have two computers. Put your money into a good, used Mac.

Bruce