PDA

View Full Version : Filters vignetting on wide angle lenses

612tom
21-Nov-2010, 22:16
Hi, I’m looking to add a 120mm lens to my 4x10 setup, and wondered if anyone has experiences with filters starting to vignette. I have Lee and Cokin Z holders, neither of which vignette on a 210mm, but I’m worried that they might on a 120mm. I could get a bigger holder for larger filters like the Cokin X-Pro for 130mm wide filters. Lee make ND grads specifically for the X-pro system, but I just wondered if it was really necessary and my current setup would work?

The Lee and Cokin Z worked fine on 75mm on 4x5. Does that mean I'm safe to 150mm on 8x10?

I’ve never understood that trick whereby you look through the corners of the ground glass at the lens aperture to check for vignetting. What am I looking for exactly? Is this to check vignetting from filters, or vignetting from too many movements?

Thanks in advance

Eric Woodbury
21-Nov-2010, 22:37
I'm using 4x4 gels with lenses much wider than a 120mm on 4x10 without a problem. There are made thin glass filters for wide angle. It is the thickness of the filter that will get you into trouble.

612tom
23-Nov-2010, 17:52
Thanks for the reply. So the thickness or number of filters used is more of a factor than the actual size of them?