PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 Auto Graflex

ethics_gradient
21-Nov-2010, 20:13
I just got mine in the mail yesterday. Despite the fairly dire shape of the leather on the outside, the focal plane shutter is perfectly intact and working well (only exception is the highest tension on the narrowest slit, every other combination seems fine). I had a few questions about this beast:

-How expensive/hard to get are the slotted-type 5x7 Graflex holders? Would I be better off converting the camera to a spring back and re-shimming the ground glass, or would this be too much hassle? For what it's worth, I don't own another 5x7 camera or holders (so I could go either way depending on what was economical).

-Has anyone ever stripped the leather off of a Graflex SLR and refurbished the wood? Enough of the leather has disintegrated to the point where I couldn't restore it as-is. I think new leather would probably be prohibitively expensive (maybe if it were an RB or a Press Graflex it'd be worth it, but the non-rotating back Auto Graflex's aren't as popular). In the short term, what's something safe I could use to wipe it down with so it doesn't leave a reside of dirt/leather crumbs all over my shirt when I hold it?

-It also came with a lens, a 25cm f/4.5 Konishiroku Hexar Series 1, which appears to be a WW2-era Japanese aerial reconnaissance lens (http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Hexar_lenses#Hexar_Ser.1_or_Hexar.1_25cm_f.2F4.5). Does anyone have any experience with it, by any chance?

rjmeyer314
22-Nov-2010, 07:17
I have a 5x7 Auto Graflex, also with the graflex back (i.e., uses slotted film holders). I've picked up enough of the slotted film holders, all on E-bay, to meet my needs. It may take you a while to do that, but they come up regularly. I would guess that in a couple months you could get enough. If it were me I wouldn't convert the back to use normal film holders. Personally I like the slotted (Graflex) holders better than the usual (Graphic) holders, I dislike fighting to get them under the ground glass holder one handed. I can more easily put the slotted holder in place and set the lock slide with one hand. You might also look for 5x7 Graflex plate holders. I brought a box full of about 25 Graflex plate holders cheap (I don't remember the price, but it was about $50). Then I brought a few boxes of Kodak 5x7 film sheaths and I was all set. I also have Graflex 5x7 film (not plate) holders that I brought 1 or 2 at a time. You can also use a 5x7 Bag magazine on your camera. These hold about 12 sheets of film. Just make sure they are made for sheet film. There are also bag magazines for glass plates and they won't hold film as well. Check the leather on the bag mag to see it's light tight, or ask the E-bay seller if you can return it if the bag leaks light. I have a couple bag mags that I use.

ethics_gradient
22-Nov-2010, 09:04
I have a 5x7 Auto Graflex, also with the graflex back (i.e., uses slotted film holders). I've picked up enough of the slotted film holders, all on E-bay, to meet my needs. It may take you a while to do that, but they come up regularly. I would guess that in a couple months you could get enough. If it were me I wouldn't convert the back to use normal film holders. Personally I like the slotted (Graflex) holders better than the usual (Graphic) holders, I dislike fighting to get them under the ground glass holder one handed. I can more easily put the slotted holder in place and set the lock slide with one hand. You might also look for 5x7 Graflex plate holders. I brought a box full of about 25 Graflex plate holders cheap (I don't remember the price, but it was about $50). Then I brought a few boxes of Kodak 5x7 film sheaths and I was all set. I also have Graflex 5x7 film (not plate) holders that I brought 1 or 2 at a time. You can also use a 5x7 Bag magazine on your camera. These hold about 12 sheets of film. Just make sure they are made for sheet film. There are also bag magazines for glass plates and they won't hold film as well. Check the leather on the bag mag to see it's light tight, or ask the E-bay seller if you can return it if the bag leaks light. I have a couple bag mags that I use.

Thanks for the helpful info!

What's the best way to tell the slotted type of film holder from a regular 5x7 holder made by Graflex? (It seems like something the average eBay seller would be ignorant of.) I'd forgotten about the 5x7 bag mags; I shoot with Grafmatics on my 4x5 and they're very convenient.

rjmeyer314
22-Nov-2010, 11:32
I would just set the E-bay search engine to look for "film holder* 5x7 slotted". Sometimes you can't tell from looking at a picture in the ad, and you just have to describe what you're looking for to the seller and ask if that's what he has. For those who know, these are called "Graflex" type film holders, as opposed to "Graphic" type (i.e.m the normal film holders). I think they're also called type II, but I'm not certain of that.

rjmeyer314
22-Nov-2010, 11:37
Note that there are some 4x5 slotted holders on Ebay right now. If you look at the picture you'll know what to look for in 5x7. Note that where there is a raised ridge running across a normal film holder, there is a little groove across the face of the slotted film holder (in addition to the grooves on each long edge).

ethics_gradient
22-Nov-2010, 17:14
Note that there are some 4x5 slotted holders on Ebay right now. If you look at the picture you'll know what to look for in 5x7. Note that where there is a raised ridge running across a normal film holder, there is a little groove across the face of the slotted film holder (in addition to the grooves on each long edge).

Would you mind linking them for me? I've tried looking at everything under "5x7 graflex" and didn't see any that looked like they'd be for a Graflex back.

rjmeyer314
22-Nov-2010, 19:13
http://cgi.ebay.com/Graflex-4x5-film-slotted-holders-super-d-SLR-4x-/280592704485?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item4154a0e3e5

ethics_gradient
23-Nov-2010, 05:39
http://cgi.ebay.com/Graflex-4x5-film-slotted-holders-super-d-SLR-4x-/280592704485?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item4154a0e3e5

Ah, sorry, I misread your post and thought you were talking about 5x7 holders. Still, I see what you mean about the slot, I'll keep my eye out!