PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 IR sheet film availability

Thomas Kienstra
25-May-2002, 15:29
I was wondering if anybody here could tell me who still supplies infra-red black and white sheet film? I understand Kodak produces the HIE only in 35mm, and I believe Ilford's is the same way - 35 only. Any 4x5 stuff out there? And if so , who still sells it? Thanks for any advice...

Brian C. Miller
25-May-2002, 16:37
As far as I know, Macophot is the only current supplier of 4x5 IR sheet film.

Ilford SFX is available in 120, and Konica is available again, too.

Here is my impression of Macophot: It's OK, but it has quirks.

I tried Macophot when it first came out using my favorite developer, Xtol. (I've heard D76 gets better results) The test rolls of 35mm I shot wound up having a speed in Xtol of 1-1/2 to 3. Also, the film does not like to be wet. Only let it be wet for 30min at most. After that the emulsion becomes foggy, like there's a zillion air bubbles in it. I gave away my last roll instead of shooting it.

Julian Hart
25-May-2002, 17:08
Hello Thomas

I don't know whether this will help but here in the UK a dealer called Mr Cad (www.mrcad.co.uk) sells Maco 820C 5 x 4" sheet film. I have used some in 35mm format but have not processed them yet and therefore cannot advise of the results.

According to a book I am reading by Hugh Milsom (called Infra Red Photography - A complete Workshop Guide) it should give results similar to the Konica film.

Julian

paul owen
25-May-2002, 18:08
Mr Cad sells the Maco IR for #36 UK pounds for 25 sheets.

Michael S. Briggs
28-May-2002, 00:32
The Macophoto 4x5 film IR 820c is available in the US. Try your favorite retailer, or B&H, Calumet, Adorama, ....

The manufacturer's website is http://www.mahn.net/

Compared to Kodak HIE, it has an anti-halation background so you won't get the same halos around highlights. It doesn't go as deep into the IR, so you may need a filter with a cutoff at a longer wavelength to get the same effects, such as white vegetation.

Eric Pederson
28-May-2002, 21:06
I've been fairly pleased with the Maco 820c IR film in 4x5 (which is the main format I use the film in). Try it and see. Not only less of a halo than the Kodak offering, but less severe IR effects -- at least with the IR72 filter. I have a web page on the film with exx from 35mm format at http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~epederso/Photo/IR/Test.html I'll be updating that page next month after I finish some tests with IR filtered strobe light. It's the only game in town for 4x5 IR work, so if you are interested in such, then you need to find a way to make the film work for you!