PDA

View Full Version : Fuji discontinues all 4x5 film?

MTMellen
21-Nov-2010, 14:49
I went to place an order for 4x5 film and found that my favorite films from Fuji have been discontinued, being Velvia 50 and Provia 100F. I did find some quickloads, but was told that they will be discontinued as well.

Does anyone know if they will still make this outside of the US?

Brian Ellis
21-Nov-2010, 15:06
According to your public profile the only camera you own is a Mamiya RZ67. So why were you ordering 4x5 film?

Bob Kerner
21-Nov-2010, 15:37
Where are you located? The fuji website doesn't say the film is discontinued, 4x5 is on the Velvia page...along with a qualifier that not all formats may be available in all areas.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/professional_films/color_reversalfilms/velvia_100/

There's a similar page for Velvia 50

Maybe you're in such an area!?

See also, "Astia Discontinued" thread about 5 threads below this one.

Mark Barendt
21-Nov-2010, 15:40
Seems to be in stock at Freestyle so???

dave_whatever
21-Nov-2010, 15:55
10 sheet boxes have been discontinued - maybe that is where the confusion is arising.

roteague
21-Nov-2010, 18:44
You can still buy 20 sheet boxes of both films. 10, 50 and QuickLoads have been discontinued.

Dirk Rösler
21-Nov-2010, 22:07
They will re-release them as 5x4 film… in 12 sheet boxes, containing a cuddly toy

roteague
21-Nov-2010, 23:42
They will re-release them as 5x4 film… in 12 sheet boxes, containing a cuddly toy

:D

amac212
22-Nov-2010, 05:50
I'm sure this must be a misinterpretation - either due to the discontinuation fo the 10 sheet boxes or perhaps even disagreement your retailer had with Fuji over pricing causing them to decide not to stock.

MTMellen
22-Nov-2010, 05:59
Thanks for the replies. I had purchased a Wista 4x5 and was stocking up on film. I'm new to large format, though I've shot medium format for years.
I contacted B&H and they told me that Fuji had stopped making this film and will be discontinuing the Quickloads as well. Evidently this is not entirely true, just a change in quantities per box. I'm sure glad of that!

Thanks again to all....... BTW, if there is a cudly toy included, let it be a new lens! :D

JamesFromSydney
22-Nov-2010, 06:34
This is one of the most common film-related questions across the internet -- has Fujifilm discontinued XYZ in some format -- leading to all kinds of panic & stocking up of film.

I don't know why Fujifilm communicate so poorly with their customers, but the effect this has had on me is to move away from their products, to Ilford and Kodak.

Mark Sampson
22-Nov-2010, 07:01
It's usually caused by dealers who don't want to bother stocking the film telling customers that it's been discontinued. I first encountered this situation back in 1989 so it's nothing new.

onnect17
22-Nov-2010, 10:00
Just got off the phone with the guys at badgergraphic.com
They have some Velvia left and expecting more Astia next week.

dave_whatever
22-Nov-2010, 10:11
I don't know why Fujifilm communicate so poorly with their customers, but the effect this has had on me is to move away from their products, to Ilford and Kodak.

But in most cases Fuji has nothing to communicate. Its business as usual for them, they can't be expected to respond to every internet rumour, or every time some retailer misinforms a customer.

MumbleyJoe
22-Nov-2010, 10:12
yeah, there's persistent confusion between Fuji and everyone, it seems.

Fuji discontinued their 10sheet boxes (and quickloads as others pointed out), which means that particular SKU is, in fact, discontinued. If you call up someone who's just looking it up in their inventory they will see that it has been discontinued.

What they might miss is that it's being replaced with 20 sheet boxes.

That's the short version. In the interim there's been a lot of confusion with their dealers and finding it has been really sporadic. For a period in the summer there didn't seem to be any around, but I'm finding it's pretty easy to find now (thankfully).

I kind of think Fuji owes us a cuddly toy to make up for a bad year. :)