PDA

View Full Version : Another lens for my Chamonix 4x5"

eolo14
20-Nov-2010, 08:13
Hi to all, I'm a beginner in large format and I'm very confused !
I have a Nikon 90 mm and I want another lens.
I use the folding for architecture photography, but also for landscape pictures.
In your opinion what kind of lens, what kind of brand, type of copal shutter, focal length ?

Thank you in advance

Bye

Gianluca

Mark Stahlke
20-Nov-2010, 08:20
We need more info.
What kind of photos do you want to take that you can't take with your 90mm?
If you can be more specific you'll be inundated with lens suggestions.

Gem Singer
20-Nov-2010, 08:32
Look for a previously owned Nikon/Nikkor f5.6 180W, or 210W in exc. condition, mounted in black rimmed Copal 1 shutters.

They are readily available and usually sell for a reasonable price.

Preston
20-Nov-2010, 08:53
Gianluca,

Your 90mm will work nicely for certain landscape images when its wider angle of view is needed.

I agree with Gem that 180 or a 210 from any of the reputable lens makers (Nikon, Fujinon, Schneider, Rodenstock) will be excellent for landscapes.

If you are looking for something that is a little longer, a 300mm is also nice. My Nikkor 300m sees a lot of use, and the Chamonix will handle it with ease.

In any event, you'll need to check lens specs with regard to coverage (image circle), angle of view, shutter type, and weight.

--P

eolo14
20-Nov-2010, 08:54
If I want take photography of a mountain or to an architecture particular, the 90 mm Nikon is too wide angle.
From a Rodenstock table in my opinion I need a focal length of 180 or 300 mm (4x5”).
My doubts are about the type of Copal, the various brand, the various series, the best aperture of the lens, the movements available.
I want to use the Chamonix also with the roll film back (6x9 cm or 6x12 cm).

eolo14
20-Nov-2010, 09:18
The Nikon Nikkor-M 300mm is f/9 and is copal 1.
Is night on the ground glass focusing screen !!
Can I mount this lens on a linhof size board ?

Thank you

Bob Kerner
20-Nov-2010, 09:54
Although the article is old, the information on this page provides a nice background regarding types of lenses, shutters etc.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer/

The brand of lens board should not matter, provided it fits your camera. I cannot tell from the camera specs on the Chamonix website what type of board it accepts. I see Chamonix sells Linhoff boards. The important characteristic for mounting the lens (assuming you have the correct sized board for the front standard) is the size of the shutter; the hole in the board must match the shutter. The article I linked to distinguishes the types of shutters and the range of shutter speeds they offer.

GPS
20-Nov-2010, 14:25
Apart from questions about shutter type etc. - make yourself a viewing frame with a marked thread and find exactly in the field what lens focal lengths you really need. Nobody else will tell you that better...

Preston
20-Nov-2010, 15:02
Is night on the ground glass focusing screen !!

I use a Nikkor 300m on my Tachihara. Even though it's an f9 lens, the ground glass image is nice and bright with the lens wide open.

GPS' suggestion to make a viewing frame is excellent!

--P