PDA

View Full Version : Help please - Grafmatic distance to film plane

Jack Dahlgren
18-Nov-2010, 22:57
I just picked up a grafmatic and it appears that the distance from the film plane to the face of the holder is a millimeter or two different from the rest of my ordinary film holders. The septum when exposed is further back and appears to be set a bit back from the hard edges of the body of the holder.

Is it possible that there is a part missing? Perhaps the springs are not strong enough? Wrong septums? If someone could post what the grafmatic should look like it might help.

Paul Ewins
18-Nov-2010, 23:48
There are two types of Grafmatics, the older version for the Graflex back (usually model number 1168) and the newer version for the graflok or "international" back (model number 1268). The older version will sit out a little more. Have a look here for the ways to work out which one you have: http://www.paulewins.com/old_site/resources/grafmatic.htm

Jack Dahlgren
19-Nov-2010, 00:56
It is the 1268. I took a closer look and the screws on one side (that hold the side rails to the back are missing as is the block that captures the screws. As a result that side of the holder is not solidly attached and does not sit firmly against the septum when it is exposed.

Fotoguy20d
19-Nov-2010, 07:50
I'm having trouble visualizing exactly what's missing (not having a grafmatic here in front of me) but will everything get pushed back into place by the graflok springs? Lacking that compression, is there a gap that allows a light path to the film?

I may have a grafmatic that can be parted out if you're interested - it's got some issues but I haven't had time to really look at it and see how much effort it is to fix up.

Dan

Jack Dahlgren
19-Nov-2010, 10:58
I'm having trouble visualizing exactly what's missing (not having a grafmatic here in front of me) but will everything get pushed back into place by the graflok springs? Lacking that compression, is there a gap that allows a light path to the film?

I may have a grafmatic that can be parted out if you're interested - it's got some issues but I haven't had time to really look at it and see how much effort it is to fix up.

Dan

Dan,

I'd be interested. There is one part that is missing (the guide and two screws on one side of the holder. The seller said I could return it, but if I can fix it I'd rather do that and avoid wasting his time, postage etc.

PM me with details.

JChrome
13-Feb-2016, 22:42
Dan,

I'd be interested. There is one part that is missing (the guide and two screws on one side of the holder. The seller said I could return it, but if I can fix it I'd rather do that and avoid wasting his time, postage etc.

PM me with details.

Jack, did you ever get an answer here? I just looked at the distance to the film plane of my grafmatics and can see that there is a significant different between them and the plastic holders.