PDA

View Full Version : Tracks to Stocholm

l2oBiN
18-Nov-2010, 17:35
One of my beginning 4x5 shots. Would love your critique, suggestions and comments..

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/237/20101031toyo8b2400hdrwe.jpg

Renedage
13-Dec-2010, 14:25
The upper part is not really interesting, but lower clearly shows meaning: life is a bunch of ways, with a fair choice of change. But nevertheless, we all end in the same place.

Vaughn
13-Dec-2010, 14:57
Over-all a very good beginning 4x5 image.

Actually, I like it much better with the bottom half cropped off. Or even cropping out the bottom to make a square image.

1) There is a strange feeling of curvature in the lower right which causes my eye to drop down and off the image in that direction -- in turn this causes a disconnect between the top and the bottom of the image -- not harmonious. It looks more to be two images -- one of the tracks and one of the city.

2) By cropping a little less than half off the bottom (to that curved post next to the tracks on the left), the tracks still are a strong element, but balanced by the roadway in the lower left and the road bridge on the left. One could also take a little sky out.

3) Cropping off the bottom to create a square image, also makes a fine image -- but only due to my love of square images!

But these are only my biases showing. If you do not think that these suggestions make for a stronger image, that is completely understandable.

Vaughn

bgh
13-Dec-2010, 14:58
One of your first shots? Good heavens....well done indeed! I quite like the view that you've selected.

I've been reorganizing my negatives recently, which has entailed looking at some of my very earliest attempts--certainly more painful for me than it will be for you, I'm sure!