PDA

View Full Version : Calling all past Brovira users!

John Kasaian
22-May-2002, 10:25
Hello! I've been trying out different papers and came across some old Agfa Brov ira. I would normally pass on old papers, but I figured this would be my only c hance to use Brovira and it was pretty cheap. Has anyone here used Brovira? It i sn't made anymore, so I was wondering if Brovira's demise is lamented or not(and why?) Any favorite developers/recommended times? I have no idea how old this st uff is! If it is still usable, how do you think it would it perform as "film" i n my ULF pinhole? The Brovira I have is Grade 4, double wieght. Thank you for a ny thoughts/comments!

Dave Sherman
22-May-2002, 11:26
Brovira was my favorate paper, especially for 35mm because it was available in #5 grade. I also think that a #6 grade was also available. The combination of a shorter film development and use of #5 paper resulted in a combination that couldn't be beat for small film sizes. When I found out that it had been discontinued I bought a good supply of it. Unfortunately I only have a few hundred sheets of 8X10 left. Many fine papers have come and gone. This is one that I truly miss. I used it with Dektol or Zone VI developer.

Jerry Flynn
22-May-2002, 13:12
As I recall, at the time Brovira was made, it came in grades 1 through 6. Agfa used grade numbers that were one greater than the standard. That is, a number 3 Brovira was like a number 2 in other brands of the time -- such as Ilfobrom.

Dave Sherman
22-May-2002, 14:01
I used both Brovira and Ilfobrom. I always felt that Brovira was at least equal if not more contrasty than Ilfobrom. I never made exact comparisons but I used #4 Brovira and #4 Ilfobrom and my recollection was that the #4 Brovira hand more contrast than the Ilfobrom. The #5 Brovoria was definitely a #5 paper. The other great thing about Brovira was that the whites were pure white and the blacks were pure black. I sure wish Agfa would bring it back.

Mato Kurki
22-May-2002, 15:04
Oh, that beautiful cold look of old bromid papers......developed in D- 163. I have some old pictures, made in the late 60s, found them some years ago, framed them immediatly and hinged up in my room. I've found no of these modern papers coming even near the delicated grays and good black as the old glossy Brovira. Take care of your treasure!

Ed Buffaloe
22-May-2002, 16:38
Brovira was reputed to be the last of the pure bromide papers. It was originally available in grades 1 through 6, which were later changed to 0 through 5. It was possibly the best paper for print solarization that was ever made. I bought some 20 year old Brovira grade 5 that had been kept in a cool basement in NYC, but it proved to have lost its contrast and wasn't good for much. However, if yours is only a few years old, it might be fine.

Mark W.
24-May-2002, 01:06
Brovira was the best portrait paper "bar-none". Grade 4 should give excellent contrast... If the contrast is too hard, try Dektol 1:1 or Selectol developers. Diluted Selenium baths can produce wonderful color shifts and add a crispness to the print that is unobtainable with today's papers, enjoy!

David Szwec
25-May-2002, 14:04
Hi! I was given a quantity of Brovira-Speed (resin coated) a while ago, and was particularly impressed with the semi-matt "312PE" finish. The blacks have a wonderful 'charcoal' look to them, which I've not seen in any other paper so far. Give it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised!