PDA

View Full Version : Testing a Graflex 1000 2A Shutter

Bart B
17-Nov-2010, 05:05
This shutter's been dormant (stored, unused, set at 1/125th) for about 25 years. Brand new about 1965 in a Super Speed Graphic, it didn't see much use through about 1985. Very few fingernail scratches inside the film holders. Bellows still feels, looks and behaves as new.

Stopped by a Pro Photo Shop yesterday to get a couple of sync cords and a box of flash bulbs and the owner said he'd test my shutter. Such a deal; he does this for free and takes about 5 minutes with his optical sensored electronic counter.

Here's how this old shutter performed:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5183706000_51bcc8dde7_m.jpg

Desired times are exact; each one half the one above it starting with 1/4 second. Times measured are listed by 3 significant digits on the counter as the effective speed of the shutter. (For a small fee, I could have got a complete report including opening, dwell time wide open and close time. Note the average error for a half to 500th is +49%.

Errors are about the same I got photograping a spinning 7-inch disk with a white radial line from center out at 1750 rpm then photographing it using this lens/shutter feeding a Nikon DSLR monted on a board in the SSG's rotating back.

Guess who's gonna send this shutter to a Graflex 1000 shutter guru for a CLA?

Bart

Fotoguy20d
17-Nov-2010, 05:46
I don't know that I would send it out for CLA, as long as those figures are consistant/repeatable. Just make a label with the actuals and overlay it and go from there. But, if you do send it out, let us know where you send it and how it turns out. I've got one of those coming my way from the bay - doubt it works.

Dan

Bart B
17-Nov-2010, 07:57
Just make a label with the actuals and overlay it and go from there.Dan, I thought about that a few days ago when I made my own shutter tests with a spinning disk. But the spread of errors ranges from 28 to 70 percent in the range I'll use it at. Which means extra calculating/referring/adjusting steps I really don't want to do. If there was only a 10% spread, it would be OK to do.

It's been 40 years since I've used a 2x3 Century Graflex camera that required manually setting the shutter, pushing and pulling darkslides/filmholders/rollfilmbacks in and out of that old camera. 'Tain't easy anymore to remember what to do and the order to do it. I'd just as soon KISS it towards success more efficiently.

That lens/shutter will go out later this month and get CLA'd while I'm crusin' the Caribbean. Then it'll go back to the camera shop for electronic testing. I'll post the same results with a new column added to show actual speeds after it's been CLA'd.

Took my first four pictures with the Super Speed Graphic last night. And yes, a couple were done with the dark slide still in the film holcer. But it was a kick in the pants for me to start back into such things. And folks came out of the "woodwork" to see and ask about that huge camera.

Bart

Ernest Purdum
18-Nov-2010, 08:41
I think the CLA could be good insurance. Like some other high speed shutters, the Graflex 1000 is prone to suicide.

BrianShaw
18-Nov-2010, 08:53
I'd advise the same as Ernest.

And if you don't want to do that, I'd suggest not worrying about it unless shooting transparency material. The latitude of B&W or color neg should be able to accomodate a 50% shutter error in most cases.

BrianShaw
18-Nov-2010, 08:54
BTW... I was intriqued by your (OP) comment about stopping by the local photo shop for some flash bulbs. Did they have any?

domaz
18-Nov-2010, 10:34
You can probably get by without a CLA if you use B&W and aren't taking your camera to any challenging locations. However, as soon as you take your camera into the mountains or into a cold environment your half-functioning shutter is probably going to seize up completely. Most shutter problems are due to gummed up lubricant so exposure to cold makes it much worse.

Bart B
18-Nov-2010, 11:20
And if you don't want to do that (getting a CLA), I'd suggest not worrying about it unless shooting transparency material. The latitude of B&W or color neg should be able to accomodate a 50% shutter error in most cases.

BTW... I was intriqued by your (OP) comment about stopping by the local photo shop for some flash bulbs. Did they have any?I used 4 sheets of Ilford film with the camera a couple of days ago for my first live shots indoors with the Graflite flash and 5" reflector. 1 was way too dark; bulb that came with camera didn't fire. Other bulbs of the same batch worked but all three negatives were a bit over exposed; maybe 2 or stops.

Got flashbulbs? Yes he did, I got four dozen GE 5B's for 24 bucks; 50 cents each, which ain't bad these days. He's also got one or more cases of medium base 2's for $1 each. Small quantities of other sizes, too I think.

His shop's in Longmont, Colorado; about 25 miles north and a bit west of Denver. Key Camera Service, (303) 772-7690.