PDA

View Full Version : What's with Calumet lately?

ZoneIII
16-Nov-2010, 09:56
What's going on with Calumet? I was a Calumet customer for many years and, although their prices weren't always the best, their customer service was outstanding. Also, their main location was not far from me so I often went to their store in Bensenville, Illinois. But something seems to have changed. For the last few years I have been very disappointed with them. At first I thought I may have just talked to someone that was having a bad day but it now seems to be a consistent problem. Just one example: Last year I needed some Velvia sheet film. They not only didn't have it in stock, but the Calumet person I talked to gave me a snide lecture about how film was dead. He said they simply didn't stock it anymore. It's hard for me to believe that a big supplier like Calumet would have so little turnover of perhaps the most popular film used by landscape photographers that they wouldn't keep some in stock. But it was the nasty and condescending attitude of the guy I talked to that really surprised me. But that wasn't the only negative experience I have had with Calumet in recent years. Similar things happened in the last four or five times I have talked to them and they never seem to have the basic supplies that I need anymore even supplies that have a very long shelf life. Today, I needed a Kodak E6 kit and, of course, they didn't have that in stock either. The salesperson I talked to was very nice but I then was transferred to a person in accounting because they changed their website and old accounts were no longer up (another problem that could have been avoided, I would think) so I had to re-register. After doing that, I wanted to make sure that they had my tax number on file in my account so I wouldn't pay taxes on things I bought from them. The accounting guy was.... well.... I can't think any other word for it... a jerk. He was rude, difficult, and unhelpful. I wish I had a recording of the conversation; the guy seemed to be determined to NOT help. I am always polite to people I talk to on the phone even when they aren't so it wasn't me. I thanked him and hung up the phone, once again disappointed in Calumet.

So, the last half dozen times I have dealt with Calumet I have been disappointed and they never have the products I need in stock. It's as if they no longer support analog photography even though they are an APUG sponsor. And, yes, I understand that demand for analog products has declined so stocks on hand have to be reduced but a large company like Calumet should surely have one box of 4x5" Velvia film in stock! They didn't have a single box in the entire country! Same with the other products I have needed lately. In the past, their customer service was superb but now it's as if many of the employees are angry and bitter. It makes me wonder if they are under new management or something. Maybe it's all just a coincidence. But Calumet has lost an old customer.

I just wanted to share my experience with others here. I expect to be flamed by someone for my post but I am just trying to share information. If Calumet was as good as they were in the past, I would be singing their praises.

Robert Budding
16-Nov-2010, 10:30
Vote with your feet.

Richard Wasserman
16-Nov-2010, 10:36
I have never talked to anyone on the phone as I go to their main location in Chicago. I have been a customer for many years and have always found the people working there to be friendly and helpful. On the other hand, it does seem as if as a business they are not really interested in supporting film based photography–film and paper are often out of stock. I now order my supplies from other sources and only use Calumet if I have to (and am often disappointed). I'm sure most of their business is digital, but I would think that if they had items in stock and were a bit more aggressive in marketing this decline wouldn't be necessary. But, what do I know? Except that it's a shame....

Arne Croell
16-Nov-2010, 10:38
I used to be a regular customer, too, but since several years I bought my supplies at both Freestyle and Badger Graphic, since, yes, they don't have much of what I need anymore. The last big thing I bought was the 4x5 LED enlarger head for the Zone VI enlarger. That one has been discontinued for a while now, too.

Robert Hall
16-Nov-2010, 10:41
I find the same issues. I have gone into the stores in San Francisco and LA and they are just rude and ill tempered. I found the manager in LA to be decent but none of the others sales staff would lift a finger.

I have found that Samys in Pasadena to be helpful and nice, so I go there when I am in Town.

Both my local photo stores here, Pictureline (pictureline.com) and Wasatch Photographic are willing to bend over backwards for me here in Salt Lake City, Utah.

I suppose I will use the local guys and the web as it rarely barks at me when I ask it questions about film products. :)

I should also mention that I have found Freestyle in Hollywood to be of great help.

Kirk Gittings
16-Nov-2010, 10:42
For mail order I try to support Freestyle who hava a real commitment to film based photography.

Michael Graves
16-Nov-2010, 10:55
I will use either Freestyle or Badger for film...depending on what else I need to buy. My last film was ordered from Badger because I was ordering some hardware from them as well. Since I get my chemistry and paper from Freestyle, I always do a film inventory check to see if anything is getting low. And I'm always checking Freestyle for their short-dated deals.

tgtaylor
16-Nov-2010, 10:58
I find the same issues. I have gone into the stores in San Francisco and LA and they are just rude and ill tempered. I found the manager in LA to be decent but none of the others sales staff would lift a finger.

I should also mention that I have found Freestyle in Hollywood to be of great help.

Robert,

The LA store manager used to be in the San Francisco store and I agree he is a nice person to work with. The SF store recently got a new manager and he seems to be a good person as well.

I wish Freestyle had a store up here.

Thomas

Brian Ellis
16-Nov-2010, 11:39
Why criticize Calumet for not stocking something they don't sell enough of to justify keeping it in stock? It's not like they're unique in discontinuing or greatly reducing their stock of film and related stuff, that seems to the be norm these days. But their attitude is a whole different matter. I'd go somewhere else if I received the kind of treatment you describe here.

John Jarosz
16-Nov-2010, 12:25
I get the feeling that the OP was referring to rudeness after the staff figured out he wanted film supplies and that was their way of getting rid of him.

I'd be interested to hear if that same staff behaved the same way if he went in there to buy the latest DSLR & 5 lenses or one of their giant epson printers.

I do agree that Calumet doesn't seem to stock anything I regularly need (in chicago).

jeroldharter
16-Nov-2010, 12:54
I have not had any trouble from Calumet. I have used them often over many years. I agree that their stocking of analog products has declined so I don't use them as much. But their shipping is the fastest of anyone to my location. Literally the next day by UPS if I order early in the morning. Last year I bought a used Travelite strobe that was DOA. I sent it to them for an estimate, they did not call me - they just repaired it and sent it back promptly free of charge. Also, over Christmas time they sometimes offer free shipping through Upromise and promote digital items - I use that as an opportunity to stock up on bottles of fixer and other heavy items. Also, you get ~3% back on Upromise.

Roger Thoms
16-Nov-2010, 16:48
I still like Calumet. The only real problem I had was with a order were they dug up an old address and shipped the order there. Took a while as the person currently living at my old address held on to the package for a week or so before returning it to UPS. The package eventually made it to the SF store and I picked it up will call. When I contacted Calumet and they figured out what had happened they offered to refund my money. I opted to wait as I figured the the package would show up sooner or later.

The SF store still stocks basic darkroom supplies which is handy.

I also wanted to ad that I brought in a Calumet light stand that had been run over by a car damaging one of the legs. They repaired the stand for no charge other than the cost to ship the stand to their repair center. Needless to say I was quite pleased.

Roger

Sirius Glass
16-Nov-2010, 17:21

I have found that Samys in Pasadena to be helpful and nice, so I go there when I am in Town.

Both my local photo stores here, Pictureline (pictureline.com) and Wasatch Photographic are willing to bend over backwards for me here in Salt Lake City, Utah.

I suppose I will use the local guys and the web as it rarely barks at me when I ask it questions about film products. :)

Also try Samys on Fairfax where they have a floor for MF and LF cameras.

A few years ago, I went to the Los Angeles Calumet to ask a question about Hasselblads. They only answered the questions because they wanted to pitch the digital backs. I voted with my feet.

Steve

Bob Kerner
19-Nov-2010, 09:14
Generic comment not specifically applicable to Calumet: With more and more business going on the 'net, I think fewer shops "worry" about customer service, so when someone shows up with a question or issue it is not handled as well as it could be. As for out of stock items, they're not unique. There's a big-name shop in NYC that I've had issues with: in my last 4 orders from them, I've received 4 "sorry, we don't really have that item in stock" emails 2-3 days after placing the order. So I vote with my feet and don't use them for internet orders anymore.

I was in the Calumet NYC shop about 3 months ago buying items to start home developing 35mm. Counter people could not answer a single question about the products I brought to the counter. When I do patronize a brick and mortar place it's usually because I have questions, will rely on the answers from the sales people and purchase from the shop...so to get "I don't know about that" answers wasn't a real motivator to purchase. I did anyway but I won't return.

John Jarosz
19-Nov-2010, 11:02
Counter people could not answer a single question about the products I brought to the counter. When I do patronize a brick and mortar place it's usually because I have questions,

I think it's safe to say you're not going to find any film expertise behind a counter these days. If you are posting on this forum you are far more qualified to know & understand what film products/processes are suitable for your application than any current counter person. Major exceptions are still out there, but in general, you know more than they do. I think we all need to face the fact that film photography is an alt-process these days.

IMHO

John

bobwysiwyg
19-Nov-2010, 11:17
In watching the development (sorry about the pun) of this thread, I have to remind myself about how fortunate I am. I shot 35mm for many years, then drifted to the 'dark side.' While I was still shooting film back when, Ann Arbor had a number of photographic shops, etc. Even though we are a small city of about 100,000, there are no more. The nearest is in Dexter, a small town about 10 miles to the west, Huron Camera. I frequented them many years ago and have been using them since returning to film. Yes, they have a good deal of digital stuff now, but I would estimate that half the store is still film related. You walk in and smell.. chemicals. :)

I was there about two days ago to pick-up some fixer, developer and 35mm film. I struck up a conversation with one of the two folks who are always behind the counter. I asked how things were doing in the world of film photography. He said not bad really. The only thing they don't handle anymore is processing. They never did it on the premises, farmed it out, but all the labs have closed down.

There is a good stock of film and chems on hand and quite a bit of used film equipment from enlargers to camera bodies and tons of lenses. It seems that the University of Michigan purchases all their film and darkroom stock from Huron Camera and surprisingly, UofM, according to the gentlemen I was speaking to, averages 60-100 students enrolling in their film photography courses each semester. Very encouraging.

Anyway, just thought a positive note was worth posting.

William McEwen
19-Nov-2010, 13:03
I'm a regular customer of Calumet. I place an order every few weeks.

This morning I logged on to the Calumet website to place an order. It kept rejecting my username and password. This after logging in correctly hundreds of times over the years.

Finally I read the red text: If you've been using the old site, you need to enter all your information and set up a new account. Old site? The new one has the same URL and looks just the same. Whatever. Poor execution on their part.

Anyway, I ordered 8x10 Tri-X, paid for regular ground shipping, and it will be here Tuesday. Just like always. No complaints on that.

When Calumet discontinued Zone VI chemicals earlier this year, my inquiry was answered with a response that made it clear that Calumet considers me a dinosaur.

That's OK -- we just search, and with luck, find niche businesses eager to step right up and take care of us.

Big, big companies have bean counters studying all the numbers. Products that perform the best -- let's face it, friends, it's digital -- get all the attention.

I'm just happy I can get 8x10 film, and I'm well aware the day is coming when I won't be able to.

Jim Noel
19-Nov-2010, 17:07
Add the store in Escondido to those where the customer comes not first, but last. I am among those who spent years buying from Calumet and no longer do so. The clerks at the Escondido store are often gathered in groups having personal conversations while customers wait. I have been there for the last time.
As far as stocking we must remember that Calumet is no longer owned by people interested in photography, but to a larger corporation interested only in money. I believe it was "Best" corporation which bought them several years ago,but I am not positive.

tgtaylor
19-Nov-2010, 17:32
Not the Mayonnaise people, is it?

Bob Salomon
20-Nov-2010, 04:32
Not the Mayonnaise people, is it?

No,

"With the uniting of Calumet Photographic in the United States and Keith, Johnson and Pelling, a retail chain in the United Kingdom; Netherlands, Belgium and Germany locations followed. The company developed a global focus. This global focus expanded further in 1998"

They are British owned.

GPS
20-Nov-2010, 06:11
Add the store in Escondido to those where the customer comes not first, but last. I am among those who spent years buying from Calumet and no longer do so. The clerks at the Escondido store are often gathered in groups having personal conversations while customers wait. I have been there for the last time.

Strange. Exactly the same I found in the Calumet store in NY - in 1994! For a moment I even had the impression that it was not a shop, just some business representation. Must be some corporate culture? Nevertheless, the Horseman 6x9 RF holder I bough there serves well all the time - unlike the 5x7 Cambo (?)spring back that never made it to a home made P&S camera...:)

SamReeves
20-Nov-2010, 09:33
I'd have to agree with the others. I'm liking Freestyle better every day because of the cheap private label films and papers. Beats B&H and Calumet by a mile.

tgtaylor
20-Nov-2010, 09:49
Last week I received a 50 sheet box of Porta 160-NC that I had ordered from B&H for a total cost of $110. If I purchased it elsewheres, I would have had to pay $126 + tax and any shipping. I saved at least $25.

BTW, it's tax-free at Calumet stores this weekend.

Cornelius
21-Nov-2010, 00:39
I also buy most of my film from B&H and Freestyle. B&H is great because they are usually the cheapest on the net, and there's no tax. Some purchases even come with free shipping for further savings. I always use the the cheapest/free shipping so sometimes it takes about a week to get to me seeing as I'm in CA. They're also very friendly on the phone whenever I've needed customer service so I highly endorse them.

Freestyle is also very good, though usually slightly higher price points than B&H and because I'm in CA I have to pay taxes on all purchases. But the bonus is that I receive my items much more quickly. So my methodology is: If it's a big purchase I don't need now I buy from B&H, if it's a smaller purchase and I need it asap I usually go Freestyle.

Last time I went to Calumet in SF I needed a Sinar Copal 0 lens board and half of the guys in there didn't know what the hell I was talking about. I had to wait 15 minutes for the one guy in the store who had an understanding of film products to come man the analog counter and see if they had anything. After the wait he was quite helpful though, and was able to find the board I needed at a decent price for a chain store ~ $49. Regardless, I don't bother with them anymore and go to either JustFilm, or Photographers Supply for my film and darkroom needs when in the City. Both of these store offer MUCH better friendly service and I highly recommend them.

dsphotog
21-Nov-2010, 06:00
Ahhh, new corporate ownership! I remember when Ritz & Wolf bought up all the mom & pop camera shops, & turned them all into worhless photo boutiques.
Thanks Bob, you solved the mystery.

No,

"With the uniting of Calumet Photographic in the United States and Keith, Johnson and Pelling, a retail chain in the United Kingdom; Netherlands, Belgium and Germany locations followed. The company developed a global focus. This global focus expanded further in 1998"

They are British owned.

Bob Salomon
21-Nov-2010, 06:38
Not very new. They have been British owned for quite a few years and for several upper management changes here in the US.