PDA

View Full Version : Looking to set myself up to process color

mfratt
14-Nov-2010, 19:32
I'll be setting up a darkroom in the apartment I'm moving into in January, complete with enlarger and film processing station. Though I do mostly black and white, I'm taking a class on color next semester. I'd like to shoot 4x5, but $3/sheet to process is too limiting for me, so I'd like to set my darkroomup with the ability to process color. The differences in technique, chemicals and temperature control aren't what bother me, I can pick those up pretty quickly. What I'm concerned about is the toxcicity of the chemicals. I was wondering if someone here could chime me into what type of precautions will be necessary for me to safely process color. The room has a small window in it, which I was planning on covering up, but I'll need to use it for ventilation... Is there any sort of light tight fan I could get for it?

Please do tell me if this whole idea is foolish or dangerous, but I'd hate to not be able to shoot 4x5 for the limiting cost factor.

Mark Woods
14-Nov-2010, 19:51
I'd build a light trap for the window and not use a fan -- lots of dust and hairs flying about. A friend of mine who processes his color images -- pos and neg -- uses a chemical mask with filters in it. Just remember if you can smell the chemicals, the filters are no longer working.

mfratt
14-Nov-2010, 20:09
I see what you mean about dust, but I'm concerned with fumes building up and leaking into the rest of the apartment. I guess I'm trying to get a grasp on just how toxic these chemicals are... Should that even concern me?

Other than a fan, what otter options (short of installing hvac) do I have for ventilation?

BetterSense
14-Nov-2010, 20:13
Samy's processes C41 for like $1.50. At that price I can't afford to do it myself.

Jan Pedersen
14-Nov-2010, 20:15
Not foolish at all and not dangerous either if you plan ahead as it appears that you are.
I printed B&W on and off for 35 years until giving in to colors last year and the instant gratification to see a wet color print is worth a little extra work.

Unless you plan on tray developing your color prints everything is contained in a drum while processing, mixing the chemistry can be done anywhere you have good ventilation so that should not cause you any problems.
My color print processing and film processing is done in a bathroom with good ventilation so i don't have this problem.
Give it a go, it is revarding to see a color print made from scratch right in your own home.

Robert Ley
14-Nov-2010, 22:02
If you want to process both color negatives and prints, I would strongly suggest that you get at minimum a Jobo CPA-2. This will allow you to process your negatives with tight temp and agitation controls and the print drums will work nicely for both color and b&w prints.

Kodak developed the newer color processes, C-41 for negative and RA-4 for prints to be much more environmentally friendly. I use both in my darkroom and don't find the odors to be that offensive. To me b&w rapid fixer has a more pronounced odor.

There are light tight exhaust fans on the market that work very well and you may be able to adapt one to your situation.

As far as safety of the chemistry, if you use common sense and limit your contact to the chemicals you should be fine.

I have found working with color to be very satisfying and you have many people on this forum with a wealth of knowledge that are happy to share.

Good Luck!

letchhausen
15-Nov-2010, 14:32
I took a color class in the spring and there's no color 4x5 processing in Seattle and was all set to get a Jobo etc. Then I discovered Samy's in Santa Barbara. It's $1.50 a sheet and they turn it around the same day if they get it in the morning. Very consistent development (which I wasn't getting at other more expensive places). I've been happy to not add that mess to my life so I moved on. Now they're getting ready to ditch the color printing machine at my school here so now I'm back to thinking about how to do that at home.....it's always something......

mfratt
16-Nov-2010, 20:05
If you want to process both color negatives and prints, I would strongly suggest that you get at minimum a Jobo CPA-2. This will allow you to process your negatives with tight temp and agitation controls and the print drums will work nicely for both color and b&w prints.

Kodak developed the newer color processes, C-41 for negative and RA-4 for prints to be much more environmentally friendly. I use both in my darkroom and don't find the odors to be that offensive. To me b&w rapid fixer has a more pronounced odor.

There are light tight exhaust fans on the market that work very well and you may be able to adapt one to your situation.

As far as safety of the chemistry, if you use common sense and limit your contact to the chemicals you should be fine.

I have found working with color to be very satisfying and you have many people on this forum with a wealth of knowledge that are happy to share.

Good Luck!

Where does one go about purchasing a Jobo CPA-2? I found it on Jobo's website (looks expensive), but I'm having a hard time finding a reseller.

Jim Michael
16-Nov-2010, 20:43
All of the processing components have a MSDS which you can read to learn about specific risks associated with those components. I'd start there.

Jan Pedersen
17-Nov-2010, 06:08
Where does one go about purchasing a Jobo CPA-2? I found it on Jobo's website (looks expensive), but I'm having a hard time finding a reseller.

Jobo ceased production of all darkroom processing gear a few years ago so your only option is the secondhand marked.
Jobo processors are getting increasingly expensive and the expert drums 3005, 3006 and 3010 have doubled in price over the last year or so.
It's a bit of a commitment so if you have to buy all the gear to get started you will need to develop a lot of negatives before it is paid off.

Juergen Sattler
17-Nov-2010, 06:36
I develop all my B&W and color negs in my darkroom. If you do it for financial reasons (eg. you want to save money) then forget it right away. By the time you've acquired all the necessary equipment (processor, drums, chems, color enlarger, etc.. etc.) you will have spent more than you would sending all your negs out for development for a lifetime.

mfratt
23-Nov-2010, 15:52
Okay, I'm reviving this thread of mine.

I spoke to one of the photo profs at my school, asking her about color processing. She told me that its "really toxic and dangerous" and that she "doesn't know anyone who does it themselves."

The consensus here seems to be slightly different.

I'm more interested in just processing my film at home for now; I'd like to set myself up to print some time in the future, but I can print at school in the mean time.

What would I need, on a budget, to get a color processing station set up? Processors like the Jobo are too expensive and out of the question. Can I use dip and dunk tanks or trays (with protective gloves)? Light tight tanks? What would you recommend?

I'd like to keep it under or around $500, including the first batch of chemicals, if thats even possible.

Cost wise, even if I only shot 200 sheets this semester (which is reasonable for my class, but thats not even counting what I'll do on my own aside from class), it would cost $600 to process. At that price, I can't see how it makes sense to not do it myself (I'm probably missing something here, so please feel free to chime in). Theres also the recurring cost of processing, which is much more annoying than a larger up front cost, plus the occasional chemical replenisher.

I was just doing some research on cost here, in regard to chemistry. I found this Unicolor kit ( http://freestylephoto.biz/101241-Unicolor-Powder-C-41-Film-Negative-Processing-Kit-2-Liter?cat_id=1001 ), which makes 2 liters for $33. They claim that will do 32 rolls (16 per liter) of 36 exp, 35mm film.

If I did my math right, the area of film for a 36 exposure roll is about the same as 4.5 4x5 sheets, so that kit will do about 144 sheets of film, which makes it around $0.23/sheet. How can that not be cheaper than $3/sheet, even adding in the (one-time) cost of processing equipment? (Or maybe I just fail at math. Please don't ask for a proof, I always hated those things in high school).

Michael Roberts
23-Nov-2010, 17:26
If you search the archives you will find posts by folks doing C-41 and E6 at home using a single Combi-plan T daylight tank.

Jim Michael
23-Nov-2010, 18:39
I spoke to one of the photo profs at my school, asking her about color processing. She told me that its "really toxic and dangerous" and that she "doesn't know anyone who does it themselves."

One of my profs related how the fire at the Browns Ferry nuclear facility was caused by some guys looking for a GAS LEAK with a CANDLE. :eek: Wow, what dummies.

One reading a report a few years later I learned the gas was nitrogen.:rolleyes:

Anyway, color is typically more sensitive to temperature than black and white since you can get both contrast and color shifts. So, just keep everything in a nice constant temperature tempered bath and I'll bet your stuff turns out fine. Invest in a decent thermometer.

Robert Ley
23-Nov-2010, 19:29
I think that I find it more disturbing that one of your "profs" has never processed color and is so misinformed that she considers it "dangerous" and that she doesn't know of any one who does it.

I would be very suspect at any thing that she says after hearing that statement.

I think that you could do color prints with a couple of Unicolor drums and a uniroller, I know that I did when I first started. Film as has been mentioned, can be done in a combi-plan tank. The newer color chemistry is no more dangerous than a lot of B&W chemistry, just be reasonable on your exposure like you should be with all photo chemistry.

There are plenty of people on this forum who have done and are still doing color and we are all more than willing to help.

Good Luck!

Sirius Glass
23-Nov-2010, 20:12

I got a CPA-2 on evilBay without bottles for $100US and three days later I got a CPP-2 that was complete, even with instructions, on APUG.org for $150US. I promptly sold the first one.

Keep your eyes open here, APUG and evilBay.

Steve

Drew Wiley
23-Nov-2010, 20:24
Not enough to not just smell fumes! You also need good air intake because some of
these chems displace oxygen. There is also the risk of sensitization over time, and
then just a tiny bit of exposure to certain color chem will mess with you. Do it right.
I personally load my color drums in the dark and then use the processor outdoors
in mild weather, or under a well-ventilated cover otherwise. Sound nutty? Not if you
know as many people as I do who once owned commercial labs and had to quit due
to health reasons.