PDA

View Full Version : a new youtube channel for novice large formatters

frederickaveryphotography
14-Nov-2010, 17:12
hi all, i have been building up a large format youtube channel aimed at novices, presented by a novice.

kinda aimed at bringing along newcomers to large format as i learn myself. a lot of the media is slightly flawed, the terminology gets mixed up, but i hope that there is a lot of important, and detailed information that may give viewers the push to jump into large format.

i know its not perfect, but thats not the point of it at all, thats the job of you guys to help people along in more detail, just like i have been helped.

anyway, feel free to add me, subscribe, or whatever

and the link is www.youtube.com/frederickaveryphoto

enjoy
frederick

Bob Kerner
14-Nov-2010, 17:29
First of all, as a novice, thank you for taking the effort to share your information with others. There are a lot of people that learn by watching and doing and the internet and video makes the learning curve a bit easier.

As someone who produces video for educational purposes, I can say you're off to a good start! It's not easy to do this, I know. Two pointers: First the music in a couple of the pieces is distracting, particularly #3 and 6. Not sure if that's your soundtrack or just music that was playing in your room when you recorded. Secondly, I think the auto white balance on your camera might be "hunting" for WB as it appears to shift a bit or it's the autoexposure feature adjusting for shifting light. Either way it was a little distracting.

Hopefully people will see this and dip a toe into LF.

14-Nov-2010, 17:34
ahh thanks for the pointers:) yeah i need to sort that white balance thing out, the exposure jumps up and down hey?!

i think as time goes on i will turn down the music, and the choice of music may well get a bit easier to figure out too:) i started with music that was kinda organic and raw sounding, to match the camera and how it feels to me. but youre right, and ill bear that in mind for future videos:)

thanks for the input, my biggest obstacle is that when i have to remember something my mind automatically makes it difficult for me to grab the words!

frederick

Bob Kerner
14-Nov-2010, 19:02
ahh thanks for the pointers:) yeah i need to sort that white balance thing out, the exposure jumps up and down hey?!

i think as time goes on i will turn down the music, and the choice of music may well get a bit easier to figure out too:) i started with music that was kinda organic and raw sounding, to match the camera and how it feels to me. but youre right, and ill bear that in mind for future videos:)

thanks for the input, my biggest obstacle is that when i have to remember something my mind automatically makes it difficult for me to grab the words!

frederick

Yup, I know the feeling. I used to make an outline on a giant piece of paper and hang it behind the camera, a poor man's teleprompter/cue card. But it was more distracting then helpful. I find it takes about an hour of practice and lousy takes to produce about 10 minutes of quality material. Stick with it though. Consider submitting to a site such as Instructables to get to a larger audience.

Sirius Glass
14-Nov-2010, 19:20
I would be better without the background music. Nothing wrong with the music, but it is distracting.

Steve

la.triglia
15-Nov-2010, 05:55
Well done Frederick, I agree with "no music" group.

15-Nov-2010, 12:21
:) thanks guys, the music shall be dropped:)
frederick

Scott Walker
15-Nov-2010, 13:39
Great job Frederick
The music didn't bother me a bit, infact I had to go back and watch again after reading the comments here about the music because I really didn't recall any music.
I was a bit let down though, seeing that you are from the UK I assumed I would hear some Vampire Weekend;)

16-Nov-2010, 12:38
ive not heard any vampire weekend:)

i have to admit i do like the music, for the character and feel of the videos. i think it can be a bit staid with a silent background, i guess i just need to get the levels right:)

glad you liked:)

Sirius Glass
16-Nov-2010, 17:22
So where is number nine? Nine ... nine ... nine ... nine ...

ari velazco
16-Nov-2010, 19:43
Good job Frederick. I will post your channel in our local photography forum here in the Philippines to promote and made aware that large films are still around.

Kudos!

Ari

Armin Seeholzer
17-Nov-2010, 06:33
Its a good effort but without music it would be much better!

Cheers Armin

21-Nov-2010, 16:28
thanks very much guys:)

number 9 will be coming soon:)

frederick

Rudy Jones
22-Nov-2010, 18:42
Love the vids!! I subscribed, so keep up the good work.

BTW, out of curiosity, what polaroid film pack do you use in your Shen Hao?

24-Nov-2010, 14:05
i use a polaroid 550 with fuji instant i think its 100c 45 or somthing.

but i have run out of film for it, i will get some and then do a video on portrait i think using my d700, and also iphone and apps as a meter

frederick

coops
26-Nov-2010, 15:02
I liked the videos a lot and look forward to the next. I did find the music distracting. Perhaps if its played as background music it would be okay, but it seems to be competing with you the way it is. Good work though.

cosmicexplosion
26-Nov-2010, 18:11
I think the music was ok.

I think the videos should be aimed more at people who have actually got cameras and are struggling to use them as opposed to people who are thinking about getting one.

that way you can get more directly into the practical aspects.

it is much eaier to learn from a visual source some times especially if that is the way your brain is wired like mine.

there is a lot of technical stuff to learn in exposure etc, but visuals can make it simple.

for example i have just ruined two packs of fuji polaroid trying to load it, it seems simple and will be once i know how, but the vids on you tube did not translate to my experience. i have a pa145 holder and am using 100 and 3000 fuji film.

so videos that work are invaluable, as that shit is expensive!

the lighting on the first vid was great but then got a bit dark.

also when you say a word like front standard it can be confusing to complete no nones
as they are words that mean some thing else in the same language.

I am doing a course now, and there is nothing quiet as frustrating as when the author assumes you know what a word means, simple mistake if they are so familiar, but they keep going and leave you behind and you cant ask questions. so all bases must be covered.

some times a picture might be worth editing in to your dialouge for egsample a close of a 35mm and a close up of 4x5 or digital print to show distortion or noise etc.

people can then see why they are better, or you could refer to a link whilst talking.

i know its a lot of work, but you could be doing something good here.

edward debono said all company's must idiot proof there products or design, ie can mr and mrs smith work out how to use the remote control you have just spent millons inventing, or that web site etc.

so a good way to test is to show your vids to some one outside the circle and give them a comprehension quiz.

one thing i have noticed when i do musical recordings is that if i am at home alone i tend to go into a slightly more relaxed state that if i was for example performing on stage, the energy is higher on stage and lower at home.

this translates into recordings that dont really give off much dynamic or focus.

people will respond more to the emotional tone first,
you are doing that with your music, trying to keep it up beat.

but i think there could be a little more umph to your presentation.

alot of actors do warm ups, shake there bodies about do physical warm ups, stretch thier vocals scream whatever it takes to get into the dynamic zone, where you radiate energy ands calm focus like a tiger.

that may be too much,

but good on ya!

27-Nov-2010, 18:44
lol thanks for the ideas cosmic.

ill just clarify, because i think people are expecting me to be doing masterclasses on here at some point.

when i started out in this, large format, which is relatively recently, ie a couple of months, i was getting ready to buy a camera system, but what i needed was a quick few videos, that would convince me i was on the right track. show a camera, talk about it a bit, give me some other things related to it i may have not seen yet, tell me what may be possible. there was very little, but one video stood out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbJysVFxSIk

it didnt say much really other than the very basics, but it was interesting to me, i liked the guys style, his own, no one elses, he isnt necessarily a presenter but that didnt matter.

that video was all i needed to give me the push to try this medium.

im not out to become a great presenter, as many people say i should brush up, most of my friends, who arent photographers, say they like that im just being me.

to be honest the basics are there, they are just meant to point you in a direction. i find it hard to work through text based stuff too, but dont you feel like putting the effort in and trying hard to do something thats challenging is rewarding? my opinion is that watching a video is only part of it, a small part.

i have my own way, my own style, my own mistakes and my own path. youre free to tag along if you like, and i really do hope what you see is inspiring, but im nto about to go all out and do a slick, polished, fake (in terms of who i am) pumped up (i really cant even begin to start thinking of 'snappy' american style tv presenting - nothing against you guys in the states, but a carbon copy of the guys on the tv i dont intend to be) channel that is starting to try and train people who already know what they are doing. i can just imagine the feedback then, 'you did this wrong, you did that wrong, leave to to the professionals etc etc'

i encourage absolutely everyone reading this to make their own videos, their own way, and add themselves as friends to me so i can subscribe to the ones that work for me too.

you get where im coming from? im just doing my thing, i appreciate the advice, especially the camera based stuff, but presenting, well i talk to the camera like i would talk to a friend. the light will vary, as its just the light coming in thru the window, the day i set up a studio will be the day im losing valuable time i could be out living, rather than in talking about living:)

frederick

zenny
29-Nov-2010, 01:00
@Fredrik

The videos are great, but not the sound. You either need to remaster it or suppress the echo (use any free software to do it like audacity, ardour) and also lower the pitch. Just my two cents from this filmmaker (with some awards ;-) )

zenny

*** Support http://www.thehumanape.org ***

30-Nov-2010, 06:53
hi zenny, thanks for the comments, just had a look at the human ape project at the bottom of your post.

it looked quite interesting.

i clicked the first link i saw - 'global initiatives'.

this led me to the global initiatives page where i clicked 'a silent revolution'.

this talks about the need for members to hide off in the shadows, where they are not seen, where they can slip off without ever being photographed.

further clicking. 'you can do'

explaining what 'global initiatives' is.

'In a nutshell, GI is:

• an independent platform to put your beliefs in action,

• a loving commitment to share, serve, learn and lead,

• a voluntary international Movement to prove yourself useful to the people,

• a global Mission aiming at the holistic human development by empowering women (present) through children (future), and

• the modern incarnation of guthi tradition where volunteers dedicate themselves to human progress without any pre-meditated agenda.'

i decided to have a look into what the 'guthi tradition was'

http://www.aioiyama.net/lrc/papers/cbhnm-ppr-6.htm#meaning

where i found

9. Philosophical aspects of the Guthi

1. The activity of the Guthi is a religious activity. It must not be neglected by giving poor attention.

2. The activity done by Guthiyars unitedly becomes successful.

3. The difficult work like taking the turn by Guthiyars must be shared by Guthiyars turn by turn.

4. Every Guthi has its own specific objectives. These objectives must be accomplished by the collective efforts of all the Guthiyars.

5. The instructions of the Thakali must be carried by all the Guthiyars.

6. The Guthi stands for the welfare of the Guthiyars.

just some thoughts. sustainability sounds very benevolent on the surface, but what it amounts to is the total control of all resources by the government, governments that time and time again fail the people. its no surpise at all that al gore was a vice president, and known to be one of the most alarmist and dishonest polticians of his time.

in order to achieve the goals of sustainable living, the government partners with the private sector, and in this case the whole thing is wrapped into a new world religious movement. this is fascism, nothing else. and all it takes to realise that is a peek under the veil and a little bit of rummaging around.

i am not a christian, but for a fantastic breakdown of this topic in a more throrough way,

check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_d4YG8POuc&feature=&p=03BD4DD6AE8F0B73&index=0&playnext=1

as i said i am not a christian but this cross references perfectly with other research i have been carrying out for many years.

im sorry to have laid this here - but, as your subtitle is here also, i think it is fair to place a counter to it, and unlike the web page that you led me to, i will always work out in the open.

frederick.

30-Nov-2010, 07:05
yuore right about the sound though, i will be looking at that in future episodes

frederick

Tim k
30-Nov-2010, 07:31
A very useful use of time for anyone starting out. A great contribution to the community.

30-Nov-2010, 07:34
thankyou tim, i really need to get on with making some more videos, but i have for the moment run out of options as to what! i want my next video to be a prtraiture run through. as this is something i have more experience in.

here however, are my very first shots!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frederickaveryphoto/sets/72157625367605917/

frederick

zenny
2-Dec-2010, 15:33
hi zenny, thanks for the comments, just had a look at the human ape project at the bottom of your post.

it looked quite interesting.

i clicked the first link i saw - 'global initiatives'.

this led me to the global initiatives page where i clicked 'a silent revolution'.

this talks about the need for members to hide off in the shadows, where they are not seen, where they can slip off without ever being photographed.

further clicking. 'you can do'

explaining what 'global initiatives' is.

'In a nutshell, GI is:

• an independent platform to put your beliefs in action,

• a loving commitment to share, serve, learn and lead,

• a voluntary international Movement to prove yourself useful to the people,

• a global Mission aiming at the holistic human development by empowering women (present) through children (future), and

• the modern incarnation of guthi tradition where volunteers dedicate themselves to human progress without any pre-meditated agenda.'

i decided to have a look into what the 'guthi tradition was'

http://www.aioiyama.net/lrc/papers/cbhnm-ppr-6.htm#meaning

where i found

9. Philosophical aspects of the Guthi

1. The activity of the Guthi is a religious activity. It must not be neglected by giving poor attention.

2. The activity done by Guthiyars unitedly becomes successful.

3. The difficult work like taking the turn by Guthiyars must be shared by Guthiyars turn by turn.

4. Every Guthi has its own specific objectives. These objectives must be accomplished by the collective efforts of all the Guthiyars.

5. The instructions of the Thakali must be carried by all the Guthiyars.

6. The Guthi stands for the welfare of the Guthiyars.

just some thoughts. sustainability sounds very benevolent on the surface, but what it amounts to is the total control of all resources by the government, governments that time and time again fail the people. its no surpise at all that al gore was a vice president, and known to be one of the most alarmist and dishonest polticians of his time.

in order to achieve the goals of sustainable living, the government partners with the private sector, and in this case the whole thing is wrapped into a new world religious movement. this is fascism, nothing else. and all it takes to realise that is a peek under the veil and a little bit of rummaging around.

i am not a christian, but for a fantastic breakdown of this topic in a more throrough way,

check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_d4YG8POuc&feature=&p=03BD4DD6AE8F0B73&index=0&playnext=1

as i said i am not a christian but this cross references perfectly with other research i have been carrying out for many years.

im sorry to have laid this here - but, as your subtitle is here also, i think it is fair to place a counter to it, and unlike the web page that you led me to, i will always work out in the open.

frederick.

@Moderator: I know that most part of this post is irrelevant to LF photography, however, I was obliged to make a clarification. If you feel it inappropriate, please feel free to delete. I do not prefer to discuss or reply further about this topic as it deviates from what this forum is originally formed for. Thanks!

@Fredrick: glad that you managed to do so much of research :-) Just in a short span of time, you really managed to surf through so much, I am impressed. Very few people manage to do so afaik. So thanks!

From your post what you have not noticed is http://www.giis.org.np or Global Initiatives is a secular movement, but inspired by the selfess principles of Guthi and that is the reason, we categorically state that it is a 'modern incarnation (read secular and humanitarian) of the guthi. And when we talk about spirituality we do not associate with any religion, but with the self which is everyone.

If you read through the http://www.thehumanpe.org it is more like a scientific multivariant regression analysis (I am sure you know what it means) of a human population which has been carried out to create a quantifiable method/formula to rescue any group of human population. Such studies have been carried out for flora and fauna, but not done so far among a human population. Without any intention to offend you, let me state that you are yet to go through http://www.thehumanape.org and the film (documentary) and pictures there (because that needs a registration and I didn't see your registration), meaning you seem to be making your superficial and baseless grudges. Please read thoroughly before spilling venom of any kind. If not, my apology in advance.

I am sorry it is a LF forum and I do not prefer to go to the length. I wish you would have PMed me before spilling out the fire or might have gone through the site thoroughly. If you still have doubt, feel free to contact me, but I do have no intention to persuade or 'proselytize' anyone including you, because I am a scientist (an ecologist among others), not a religious missionary. Thanks!

zenny

*** Support http://www.thehumanape.org ***

2-Dec-2010, 15:38
a valid reply and i shall look further in.

i agree with delete is need be

frederick

Rayt
12-Dec-2010, 06:45
Turn off the music and can you please not speak with that accent? Just kidding. The videos are very helpful especially No. 8.

Scotty230358
13-Dec-2010, 10:48
I notice that you have done a video on swing. May I suggest a similar video covering tilt. Many LF newbies (like myself) who do landscapes would appreciate it.

lilmsmaggie
17-Dec-2010, 13:33
Great job Frederick!

I just discovered this post and viewed the first two YT videos. I'll have view the others as I get time and also check out your FB page. Thanks for having the courage to do this. Many more experienced LF photographers could have chosen to give us newbies a hand-up but didn't.

Bravo!

Dwain

Sean Galbraith
21-Dec-2010, 11:46
Another vote for "no music". It was distracting for me, and I presume you didn't have the rights cleared to use it anyway. :-)

Please repost the ones you've uploaded without music if you can.. I'd love to watch, but the music is just too distracting for me.

dave_whatever
21-Dec-2010, 12:29
I notice that you have done a video on swing. May I suggest a similar video covering tilt. Many LF newbies (like myself) who do landscapes would appreciate it.

Just watch the video with your monitor on its side.

k12robert
23-Dec-2010, 11:40
Another question from a complete novice to LF.I am looking to buy a camera bit dont know the first thing about these cameras, been looking on ebay. Is this a good deal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Toyo-Field-Camera-4x5-/170580649092?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item27b7662484
What else will I need to make this usable?

Thanks
Robert

lilmsmaggie
24-Dec-2010, 10:28
Another question from a complete novice to LF.I am looking to buy a camera bit dont know the first thing about these cameras, been looking on ebay. Is this a good deal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Toyo-Field-Camera-4x5-/170580649092?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item27b7662484
What else will I need to make this usable?

Thanks
Robert

Can't view the link from where I am at the moment. But, I'd be very careful of buying used on eBay. Take your time and ask LOTS of questions about LF before you buy.

Get yourself a new/used copies of Ansel Adams book series:

http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Ansel-Adams-Photography-Book/dp/0821221841

Also, a copy of Steve Simmon's: Using the View Camera would help answer a lot of questions.

Think about how you want to use the camera. What are you interested in capturing?

Landscape, Portraits, Architecture, Still Life. Studio vs. Field. Choose a camera based on what will meet your shooting needs. If you currently shoot 35mm, determine what your most used or favorite focal length lens is; then determine the LF equivalent.

Look at Shen-Hao's and Chamonix 4x5's as possible entry-level newer cameras.

Consider a used Crown Graphic or similar camera.

Bottomline: READ and educate yourself before you BUY ANYTHING! and don't be afraid to ask questions. :D

Good luck!

SW Rick
24-Dec-2010, 11:09
I see at youtube: "not available because user closed their account"- guess they are gone.

26-Dec-2010, 05:25
thanks guys, i have taken the facebook and youtube profiles down, ill prob re upload new videos at some point, but for now i have lost the will.

the facebook thing has just been deleted because i hate facebook and all it entails:)

merry christmas

frederick

dperez
4-Jan-2011, 11:41
that was all a bit strange

Daniel_Buck
4-Jan-2011, 16:06
thanks guys, i have taken the facebook and youtube profiles down, ill prob re upload new videos at some point, but for now i have lost the will.

the facebook thing has just been deleted because i hate facebook and all it entails:)

merry christmas

frederick

I didn't see the video(s), but why take it down from youtube? If you have lost interest that doesn't mean that others have as well. Others might wish to see the videos, particularly since there's probably not a lot of videos about large format photography for beginners.