PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational large format (4x5) Photography Picture Books? With Annotations?

l2oBiN
14-Nov-2010, 17:09
I am looking for some amazing/inspirational "coffee Table" photo books in the subjects of Landscape, Nature, Cityscapes, Architecture, Still-life, Abstract (+any other you can recommend).

I would like the prints in the books to be of superb quality and at least A4 size, however I would prefer to have the basic field notes accompanying the images (eg. shutter speed, aperture, lens and camera used at minimum + camera movements, time of capture, + additional notes as a bonus)

I hope you can suggest some books which are suitable..

Thnx in Advance!

ic-racer
14-Nov-2010, 17:22
John Sextons early books come to mind. They are my inspiration for 4x5 B&W.

Bill Burk
14-Nov-2010, 17:46
I began this journey one summer vacation while waiting to take delivery of my LF camera. I walked into a bookstore looking for practically the same thing you're looking for - inspiration. I didn't want technical info - I wanted excellent images to aspire to.

Used bookstores don't always come up with exactly what you are looking for, so there it was and I picked up "The Fine Print" by Fred Picker. I thought to myself, gawd another tecnho photo book with uninspiring illustrations, oh well it's all they've got.

Instead I got hooked on his complete discussions about every print, he doesn't get deep into Zone System in this book, but he does go into details about the problems he saw and solved. One example is the bright reflections on leaves that he solved by double-exposure, when the sun was bright just enough to catch the highlights, then when a cloud coved the sun the second exposure captured all the detail of the forest. Another time he dug a bit of a hole to get as close to the ground for an architectural shot.

Jeffrey Sipress
14-Nov-2010, 18:28
Any and everything by David Meunch and Marc Meunch, Jack Dykinga, Elliot Porter, Brett Weston, Ansel, Richard Garrod, etc, etc.

Brian Ellis
14-Nov-2010, 20:07
I began this journey one summer vacation while waiting to take delivery of my LF camera. I walked into a bookstore looking for practically the same thing you're looking for - inspiration. I didn't want technical info - I wanted excellent images to aspire to.

Used bookstores don't always come up with exactly what you are looking for, so there it was and I picked up "The Fine Print" by Fred Picker. I thought to myself, gawd another tecnho photo book with uninspiring illustrations, oh well it's all they've got.

Instead I got hooked on his complete discussions about every print, he doesn't get deep into Zone System in this book, but he does go into details about the problems he saw and solved. One example is the bright reflections on leaves that he solved by double-exposure, when the sun was bright just enough to catch the highlights, then when a cloud coved the sun the second exposure captured all the detail of the forest. Another time he dug a bit of a hole to get as close to the ground for an architectural shot.

Picker dug a hole to make the photograph? Did he use dynamite or just a shovel?

He used to write a monthly article for one of the long-gone photo magazines. Sometimes he critiqued other people's photographs, sometimes his own. In one issue he showed a landscape photograph he had made. In his description of making the photograph he talked about how he had chopped down some large bushes because they interfered with the view of the subject, using a chain saw or similar tool he carried around with him for just that purpose. The outcry went on for years.

Brian Ellis
14-Nov-2010, 20:17
It's fairly unusual for these kinds of books to include technical data about the camera, lens, etc. I don't have very many of them but of the ones I have only John Sexton's books include this kind of information. There seems to be a feeling among many photographers who make these books that providing technical details is too pedestrian and detracts from the "art," kind of like Picasso putting a note on the back of "Guernica" saying what paints and brushes he used.

coops
15-Nov-2010, 06:32

I see this book used on Amazon for $2 I just got a copy for $5 with free two day shipping, so thanks for the suggestion.

Frank Bunnik
15-Nov-2010, 08:10
"First light" by Joe Cornish would fill your wish.

Bruce Barlow
15-Nov-2010, 11:02
Picker had an architectural shot he needed to get, and the only way was to dig a four-foot-deep hole to put his tripod in. That's what he did. Got the shot, got paid.

He carried big loppers in his car, for that stray branch. Speaking for Richard Ritter and myself, he wasn't the only one. I draw the line at a chainsaw, since they tend to leak a little oil from the chain bar.

Personally, I'd go for any book that has pictures that move me, regardless of original format. Josef Koudelka, a 35mm guy, comes to mind. No tech notes, but that doesn't bother me, either. The technical stuff is the easy stuff. Standing in the right place and pointing the camera the right way is the hard stuff.

ic-racer
15-Nov-2010, 14:24
I can't recall which Sexton book has the detailed info, but from what I recall it even goes into detail about beaching etc. but it is generic info about all the images.

For even more detail on each image you may enjoy Ansel's:
Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs

Gem Singer
15-Nov-2010, 15:32
Jack Dykinga: "Large Format Nature Photography".

Merg Ross
16-Nov-2010, 16:39
It's fairly unusual for these kinds of books to include technical data about the camera, lens, etc. I don't have very many of them but of the ones I have only John Sexton's books include this kind of information. There seems to be a feeling among many photographers who make these books that providing technical details is too pedestrian and detracts from the "art," kind of like Picasso putting a note on the back of "Guernica" saying what paints and brushes he used.

This is most often the case. However, for inspiration and mostly large format work, these books might be of interest:

http://www.photographywest.com/pages/bookstore.html

l2oBiN
16-Nov-2010, 17:57
Jack Dykinga: "Large Format Nature Photography".

I have this book and I must say I was not so impressed by the level of technicality within. I wanted a lot more yet explained in the same simple easy to read language...

rdenney
17-Nov-2010, 06:45
I can't recall which Sexton book has the detailed info, but from what I recall it even goes into detail about beaching etc. but it is generic info about all the images.

Quiet Light is the book you are thinking of. That was the first time I realized there was Life After Ansel--Sexton seemed to begin where Adams left off.

But note that many of the images in that book are made before sunrise and after sunset, and thus many of the shutter times are measured in minutes.

Sexton also includes his Zone System development (N, N-1, etc.).

Rick "agreeing also with Adams's Examples, though it does not meet the OP's specifications for size" Denney

hmf
26-Nov-2010, 15:54
You might also want to include Bruce Barnbaum's "Art of Photography", discussed in another, more recent thread. Nice pictures, tons of technical information, at least in the original edition